Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Earth Update

Options
  • 03-10-2006 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

It has been updated with a recently shot satellite picture of Cork with the new bus station ,Mahon Point and the Ballincolling bypass now included .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

That is really up to date. The houses that theyre building behind where I live are all there and they've only been up for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Well Funderland still appears to be in the showgrounds so I think it was taken back in April. It was deffo a few months ago anyway because the airport isn't fully finished either.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

Did anyone see the new add on to google earth Geographic Web. It a Panoramio, wikipedia and best of google commuinty layer. pretty cool. Just wondering does anyone know can we add our own something like hometown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

First I would like to say that I know that google earth and google maps are slightly different, and that google earth has 'kml' files that you can share, irishpubs has a directory of pubs for each geographic area in ireland to help you find that special place. Since the data between the two is mostly the same, and giving a url is easier with google maps I wanted to expand the comments to google maps :)

A couple things on this, I have been playing with google maps which uses the same data (or at least some of it) and the streets seem a bit off from the aircraft imagry (they call it satellite but most of the close in stuff is done from airplanes or helicopters). They are really close, but often the hybrid display puts a road through a row of buildings right next to the street. This is caused by a slightly inaccurate alignment between the imagry and the street survey. Most people can figure out what is meant though so its not that big of a deal.

As for locating stuff via google maps, the search tool provided relaly isnt that good, it often cant find anything I type in. It may just be that I dont know the correct format for it, but ... What I started doing to make linkable maps was to manually edit the query string to place arrows and the like where I want them.

If you have a gps you can avoid manually placing them since the query can be a lat/long entry. If you dont, what I do is center the map on what I want, then click 'link to this page'. by looking at the url, which will have the lat/long in it I will edit the q= variable to suit my needs. An example url for the Beamish brewry would look like:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=51.895986,-8.476600+(Beamish+Brewry)&z=16&ll=51.895986,-8.476789&t=h
    q= is the query, its in the format "north,west (place name)" (+ means space)
    z is your zoom level, higher numbers are closer in
    ll is what you are looking at (center of the map - optional if you have a q= it will center on the query)
    t is the map type h is for hybrid

By first searching for 'cork, ireland' it will center on merchants quay. You can then move the map around, select options like hybrid, then click 'link to this page' and the url should display in the location bar of your browser. Copy and paste the ll variable to the q variable. Then manually adjust the numbers until the arrow is right where you want it.

If the url is too long there is always http://tinyurl.com to make it smaller.

I looked into this because anytime I type something like 123 main street, cork, ireland it cant find it, it has never been able to find any street for me (I havent played much with google earth, maybe that is better). This at least lets me give maps out to people via email or whatever so they know exactly where I am talking about :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 legalimmigrant

Or: try this. Street-level only, works on about 85% of addresses (based on Navteq data).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

Or: try this. Street-level only, works on about 85% of addresses (based on Navteq data).

since that appears to be your closed source app, I guess you should know that if it cant find a place, it will create a tag as if it did but it will just be somewhere in the middle of town. I am batting 50% so far on it being able to find places.

It yields effectively the same result, just makes it somewhat easier for those that either dont want to read through the explanation I gave on how to do it manually, or for whatever reason cant understand it.

Advertisement