Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another Speeding Thread...Zzzz

Options
  • 03-10-2006 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

Just a quick query really. Sister was tailed by an unmarked Volvo XC90 on the M1 yesterday, from at least the toll bridge, for about 10 miles until he flashed the lights and pulled her over. He went off on a mad rant at her for driving at 139KPH and staying in the overtaking lane. He then just stormed off, got into his SUV and drove off. He didn't mention anything about a ticket to her. Will it arrive by post? Do they have those cameras mounted in the vehicle like you see in the UK cops shows?
    I can't see why he would be so angry and follow her for so long without issuing a ticket. The spa deserves it in my opinion. Any ideas as to what will happen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

FX Meister wrote:
    Just a quick query really. Sister was tailed by an unmarked Volvo XC90 on the M1 yesterday, from at least the toll bridge, for about 10 miles until he flashed the lights and pulled her over. He went off on a mad rant at her for driving at 139KPH and staying in the overtaking lane. He then just stormed off, got into his SUV and drove off. He didn't mention anything about a ticket to her. Will it arrive by post? Do they have those cameras mounted in the vehicle like you see in the UK cops shows?
    I can't see why he would be so angry and follow her for so long without issuing a ticket. The spa deserves it in my opinion. Any ideas as to what will happen?

You sure it was a cop? Doesn't sound like it.

The brother had a similar episode on the M1 a while back (a non-cop in a Rover something or other)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I can't see her hearing any more about it. Hope she's learnt her lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I doubt she'll hear anymore of it. Why was she driving in the overtaking lane, especially when she knew someone behind her might want to overtake her?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

No problem with someone doing 140kph on the M1, but staying in the outside lane - she deserves a ticket for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

unkel wrote:
    I doubt she'll hear anymore of it. Why was she driving in the overtaking lane, especially when she knew someone behind her might want to overtake her?
    Yeh why was she?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

She must have been mad to pull in for an unmarked car in this day and age, I'd have kept going untill a marked car came on the scene or else have driven to the nearest Garda station. There are some serious nutters out there and they're not all home grown nowadays either.;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was going to say exactly what junkyard said - tell your sister to stop for nobody!
    However, there are unmarked cars with cameras. One (maybe two) even has a reg plate reader!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

iv heard of people in waterford been pulled over by a person in a car giving out stink and then driving off.dressed in yellow jackets impersonating gardai.iv even heard storys of a fella going around a skool given out to people in parked cars coz there children havnt seat belts on when takin off.(some nutters out there or what?)impersonating guards what next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

nah, she wont hear anything back so tell her not to worry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

The Volvo was unmarked but it had the blue lights in the grill and stuff and the Garda was in uniform so it wasn't a nutter. I think she's learned her lesson. As for driving in the overtaking lane, I guess she's just like all the spas who hog the "fast" lane. I gave her stick for that more than anything myself.

• Advertisement

FX Meister wrote:
    As for driving in the overtaking lane, I guess she's just like all the spas who hog the "fast" lane. I gave her stick for that more than anything myself.

Good stuff. With both her brother and that Garda giving out, maybe she'll change her ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

FX Meister wrote:
    As for driving in the overtaking lane, I guess she's just like all the spas who hog the "fast" lane. I gave her stick for that more than anything myself.
    Good man. We need more people like you. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

junkyard wrote:
    She must have been mad to pull in for an unmarked car in this day and age, I'd have kept going untill a marked car came on the scene or else have driven to the nearest Garda station. There are some serious nutters out there and they're not all home grown nowadays either.;)

Anyone know the legal situation on this one? What are your obligations to pull in - a clearly marked Garda car, any car flashing a blue light, any car at all? Unless the car has Garda written on it can you ignore it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Sandwich wrote:
    Anyone know the legal situation on this one? What are your obligations to pull in - a clearly marked Garda car, any car flashing a blue light, any car at all? Unless the car has Garda written on it can you ignore it?

Once you see they've brought in the helicopter to follow you too, I think it would be wise to pull over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Car Mad wrote:
    iv heard of people in waterford been pulled over by a person in a car giving out stink and then driving off.dressed in yellow jackets impersonating gardai.iv even heard storys of a fella going around a skool given out to people in parked cars coz there children havnt seat belts on when takin off.(some nutters out there or what?)impersonating guards what next?

There will be loads of these people soon..

They will be called the Garda Reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

140km/h is my cruising speed on the M1 and coincidently the speed below which my exhaust resonates. In approximately 300 return trips up and down the M1 I've seen Garda about 10 times. In fact, I think I've seen more tractors and combine harvesters on the M1 than the cops. And long may it continue; where else in Ireland can you do 200km/h in safety?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭lanno

lads the Garda dont have any xc90, just checked with a mate in the trade

lanno wrote:
    lads the Garda dont have any xc90, just checked with a mate in the trade

How would a "mate in the trade" be able to state categorically that the Gardaí don't have a particular car?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭lanno

very easy as they have a contract with a certain gov dept,

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

lanno wrote:
    very easy as they have a contract with a certain gov dept,

Well seeing as a person was pulled over by a xc90 with blue lighgts in the grille and a uniformed gard driving, I'd say your mate is wrong.

Was there not a fair bit of mention of a garda xc90 in the thread about garda cars a while back?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure that I'd go for this. For the new, unmarked corollas etc sure, but what about the various elderly 7 series BMWs and so on that are used by certain sections? These cars are clearly bought second-hand, and you genuinely would never know to look at them that they are Garda vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭sk8board

Anan1 wrote:
    How would a "mate in the trade" be able to state categorically that the Gardaí don't have a particular car?

Volvo or no Volvo, unless you got the blue flashing lights you should pull over for nobody ... period. Thats the only rule your sister broke! (That and driving in the overtaking lane. 10 miles is a lot of cars to be 'overtaking') ;)

p.s they use the blue Subaru Forester on the M1; have seen it a few times in the past few weeks goin to/from work, and even on the weekend.

incidently, I've seen some Saab 9-3's about too. but in their whites

sk8board wrote:
    Volvo or no Volvo, unless you got the blue flashing lights you should pull over for nobody ... period. Thats the only rule your sister broke! (That and driving in the overtaking lane. 10 miles is a lot of cars to be 'overtaking') ;)

She did get the blue flashing lights?

el tel wrote:
    140km/h is my cruising speed on the M1 and coincidently the speed below which my exhaust resonates. And long may it continue; where else in Ireland can you do 200km/h in safety?:cool:

you are a fool. "90 mph is my cruising speed". All going well you'll only kill yourself, and not anyone else.
    the aul 'resonating exhaust' at 135k can be a real bitch

I live out the M1, and see some real crazy fools almost every journey, but wearing it as a badge of honour really takes the goddamn biscuit.

sk8board wrote:
    you are a fool. "90 mph is my cruising speed". All going well you'll only kill yourself, and not anyone else.

I cruise at up to 200km/h, conditions permitting. I must be dead already.:)

Anan1 wrote:
    I cruise at up to 200km/h, conditions permitting. I must be dead already.:)

go you. I guess that as a 2nd car dealer its someone else car your driving the crap out of.

Whats your garage name? Lets start a new thread to avoid it like the plague, except of course the guys that like their new cars to have done 200k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

sk8board - 20kph is only 16% over the speed limit. Thats less of a percentage then doing 60kph in a 50kph zone, which is far more common, and far more socially acceptable. It's worse in my opinon as, generally, 50kph zone are zones where pedestrians frequent.

How often do you see kids paying a game of footy on the M1?

If you also take into account that most speedos over-read by 5-10% it really isnt the childkilling scenario you make it out to be.

I hope people like you dont fill the garda reserves. We need people with some cop on.

Speeding in residential areas = scum.
    Reasonable speeding on empty motorways where people actually obey the overtaking lane rule = fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

commited wrote:
    Speeding in residential areas = scum.
    Reasonable speeding on empty motorways where people actually obey the overtaking lane rule = fine

Trying to justify speeding = scum
    Obeying the law = fine

sk8board wrote:
    go you. I guess that as a 2nd car dealer its someone else car your driving the crap out of.

Whats your garage name? Lets start a new thread to avoid it like the plague, except of course the guys that like their new cars to have done 200k

What on earth gave you the idea that I'm a car dealer? And why would anyone have a problem with buying a powerful car that had been driven at 200km/h?

• Advertisement

sk8board wrote:
    you are a fool. "90 mph is my cruising speed". All going well you'll only kill yourself, and not anyone else

Motorways are very safe. Well they are in other European countries where people drive safely at 200km/h or more. I suppose motorways are not safe in Ireland where the typical driver is an ignorant eejit :(

Advertisement