Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another Speeding Thread...Zzzz

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Speed Kills lads!! Didn't you know that. You are perfectly save doing 69mph on the M1 but once you hit 75mph the car automatically disintegrates and spins across the barrier into the oncoming lane.

:rolleyes:

Speed doesn't kill. Inappropriate Speed kills. ie even 120mph on a dry deserted motorway late at night with no traffic is magnitudes safer than 25mph in a 30mph limit past a school in traffic in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭sk8board

All valid points lads; my main concern was the 140-200kph that the 2 boys claim to do. As I say, I live out the M1, I certainly do the full 120kph when I get half a chance, but you tend to find that your completely in the way! (a slowpoke?!) with all the guys (mainly in nordie reg's) doing 100+

roll on cross-border points.

Saw a guy spin-off in a '00 CLK a few months back, and I was only going as far as the Airport! got up past 90-110 as soon as we past the Port tunnel, and then to everyones amazement was only going as far as the airport, and lost it on the lefthander off the M1 into the airport! (we only laughed AFTER he came to a safe stop into the barrier)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Chief--- wrote:
    There will be loads of these people soon..

They will be called the Garda Reserve.

OUCH, I'm sure that hurt somebody...somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

lanno wrote:
    very easy as they have a contract with a certain gov dept,
    they might have a xc90, cause last year i got pulled over by a merc e class in donnybrook and it was a undercover guard.

drdre wrote:
    they might have a xc90, cause last year i got pulled over by a merc e class in donnybrook and it was a undercover guard.

or maybe it was just a guard going home for his lunch, driving the fruits of all that over-time. You'd never know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'll ask you again, sk8board:

What makes you think I'm a used car dealer?

Why would anyone have a problem buying a powerful car that had been driven at 200km/h?

I'm interested to know whether you can actually back up your assertions, as opposed to simply blowing hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Sandwich wrote:
    Trying to justify speeding = scum
    Obeying the law = fine
    I'm scum because I do an indicated 140kph on a motorway?

My stopping distance is far shorter than someone driving an old Micra at 120kph. But I'm sure that's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You'll probably end up with a Micra in your ass when you do stop :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

The cops got their hands on a varity of Volvo's in June or July this year. On the ticket front, she should have been issued a ticket on the spot. I'd say she's in the clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Stark wrote:
    You'll probably end up with a Micra in your ass when you do stop :p

LOL.

Seriously going a little over the speed limit on a motorway is hardly the biggest crime committed in this country.

Doing over 100KPH on a crap country road is a bigger issue.

Also doing about 50KPH on a good road with a 80KPH limit is dangerous as the people obeying the speed limit could come over a blind crest and run into the back of you with both people obeying the speed limit.

Well maybe not 50KPH but there are enough people out there who are afraid of doing the speed limit on even decent roads that are holding up the place for everyone else and potentially causing accidents in the blind crest or corner situation I outlined.

To be completely safe, everybody should drive at a speed where if a car in front magically stops instantly, they can stop too. I recommend the old Steam powered car speed limit in Britain of 2MPH :p

Speed kills but driving like an idiot in general (which you can do within the speed limit on a country road in Ireland) and complete disregard for every other driver on the road is a bigger issue in Ireland (mainly people that don't f***king indicate).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i dissagree with teh term speed kills... ive been in a few accidents (motorsport related NOT on the public road) and the worse was at 70mph into a tree and i was able to walk out of the car within 5 mins..
    i stick to my 78-80mph on most motorways.. i drive alot.. on sunday i left my house at 5am to donegal drove around there all day and then went back to dublin.. (15 hours driveing) the condistions were bad raining all the way back, so most of the cars were sticking to 54mph most of the way.. one twat over taking.. and yes he was a young lad in a civic... with a light out at the front and a light out at the back... you could barly see him... i would concider him a danger on the road.. but once we got onto the motorway. we were fine 120kph all the way into dublin..

the real problum on the road is drunk drivers... i think they are the worst.. alot worse than speeders.. but thats my opionan..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭want2play

Well lanno, the guard that pulled me over in an XC90 was wearing a damm good fancy dress costume then, comes with a volvo?

Anan1 wrote:
    What on earth gave you the idea that I'm a car dealer? And why would anyone have a problem with buying a powerful car that had been driven at 200km/h?

because it might fall apart.:D

drdre wrote:
    because it might fall apart.:D
    Yours might.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

And of course if this moron loses control of the car at that speed, it will quietly spin to the side of the road rather than through the fence and into oncoming traffic.

I also don't believe the other waffle. I'm willing to bet that most people who blatantly break motorway speed limits hardly drive meekly around areas with lower speed limits.
    commited wrote:
    sk8board - 20kph is only 16% over the speed limit. Thats less of a percentage then doing 60kph in a 50kph zone, which is far more common, and far more socially acceptable. It's worse in my opinon as, generally, 50kph zone are zones where pedestrians frequent.

How often do you see kids paying a game of footy on the M1?

If you also take into account that most speedos over-read by 5-10% it really isnt the childkilling scenario you make it out to be.

I hope people like you dont fill the garda reserves. We need people with some cop on.

Speeding in residential areas = scum.
    Reasonable speeding on empty motorways where people actually obey the overtaking lane rule = fine

stovelid wrote:
    I also don't believe the other waffle. I'm willing to bet that most people who blatantly break motorway speed limits hardly drive meekly around areas with lower speed limits.

Sure, and hash is a gateway drug.

stovelid wrote:
    The speed at which I drive is dictated by the space which I can see to be clear. 200km/h on an empty motorway may conform to this criterion, whereas 30km/h past a primary school may not.

ah jaysus now hold on :D
    Stark wrote:
    Sure, and hash is a gateway drug.

If you are doing 200KM, you definitely have much more chance of coming off the road. How are you so sure in that situation, you wouldnt go through the barrier and somebody won't be on the other side?

In this case, the main space that you "can see to be clear" is clearly between your ears dude.

Anan1 wrote:
    The speed at which I drive is dictated by the space which I can see to be clear. 200km/h on an empty motorway may conform to this criterion, whereas 30km/h past a primary school may not.

stovelid wrote:
    If you are doing 200KM, you definitely have much more chance of coming off the road. How are you so sure in that situation, you wouldnt go through the barrier and somebody won't be on the other side?

In this case, the main space that you "can see to be clear" is clearly between your ears dude.

Do you understand the concept of driving at a speed which allows one to stop within the space which one can see to be clear? Or are personal insults the closest you can get to a rational discussion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Anan1 wrote:
    Do you understand the concept of driving at a speed which allows one to stop within the space which one can see to be clear? Or are personal insults the closest you can get to a rational discussion?

Yeah Stovelid what are you on about?

Anan1 is obviously skilled enough to be able to stop his car in the distance between the fast lane and the central reservation.

I'll bet he could even do it with only 3 wheels on his car.

Yeah Stovelid what are you on about?

Anan1 is obviously skilled enough to be able to stop his car in the distance between the fast lane and the central reservation.

I'll bet he could even do it with only 3 wheels on his car.
    Great, now we know you can do sarcasm. Any chance of an actual point?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

"the concept of driving at a speed which allows one to stop within the space which one can see to be clear"

The point is that at speed after suffering failure / damage, your car may not oblige and stop in a straight line.

I hope I'm not coming the other way the day you kill yourself ... Goodbye

I'm not advocating 200km/hr, I think that's crazy speed for any road in Ireland. But if you get a blow-out at 120km/hr which is the legal speed for a motorway, then you're probably just as ****ed as if you had one at 140km/hr.

I would consider 140km/hr drivers to be excessively dangerous (I consider any form of driving to be dangerous to some degree) if the road was congested/bendy or they were having to do crazy overtaking manouvers to maintain the speed. If it was the M1 on a quiet day with visibility for miles then I wouldn't be too pushed about it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

commited wrote:
    I'm scum because I do an indicated 140kph on a motorway?
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No. But because you cheerfully and systematically break the law, putting the lives of others at risk.

"the concept of driving at a speed which allows one to stop within the space which one can see to be clear"

The point is that at speed after suffering failure / damage, your car may not oblige and stop in a straight line.

I hope I'm not coming the other way the day you kill yourself ... Goodbye
    Goodbye, Cormac.
    Stark wrote:
    I'm not advocating 200km/hr, I think that's crazy speed for any road in Ireland.
    On a dry, empty motorway with good visibility, 200km/h can be quite safe. The German system is proof of that. If the road's not empty then the conditions may not be suitable for such speeds. Of course, I said that at the outset.

Anan1 wrote:
    Goodbye, Cormac.

On a dry, empty motorway with good visibility, 200km/h can be quite safe. The German system is proof of that. If the road's not empty then the conditions may not be suitable for such speeds. Of course, I said that at the outset.

I'm not sure that the problem we have is with the "If the roads not empty then the conditions may not be suitable for such speeds" part of what you've been saying.

The problem is that you seem to be justifying 200kph AT ANY TIME, or conditions

And the German system is NOT proof that speed is safe on an empty motorway! thats a con that you've heard on british motorshows, who go there to test cars.
    The german system is proof that if you have no speed limits on large parts of your motorway's, that people will not actually speed! self-policing.

You've read too many stories of brokers on autobahn's in 911's, or else have never drove long journey's in Germany.
    Incidently, you CAN get fined for speeding on the unrestricted autobahn, where its deemed overly excessive and dangerous. I'm guessing 200kph falls into that category. Incidently, 200kph is 125MPH!!!!!

save it for Mondello. (or Hockenheim?! ;) )

ok sk8board, just get back to the op and stop wrecking people's heads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

sk8board wrote:
    The problem is that you seem to be justifying 200kph AT ANY TIME, or conditions

Of course he didn't justify driving at those speeds at any time under any conditions. Read the F. thread again...
    sk8board wrote:
    Incidently, you CAN get fined for speeding on the unrestricted autobahn, where its deemed overly excessive and dangerous. I'm guessing 200kph falls into that category

No you CAN NOT get fined for speeding as you would not be breaking the speed limit as there is no speed limit on some sections of Autobahn

• Advertisement

The point about the German system is that it is a system..Everybody is bound by the same rules, knows the score and I assume(?) that roads are built with this in mind.

You are refusing to answer the main points advanced here by others. Driving at that speed decreases your chances of controlling the car. I'm not disputing that you are a good driver (I don't particularly care) but saying that you can bring the car to a halt in a perfect situation is just blatantly ignoring any contigency situation that may arise.

Minor speeding (say 130k) on an empty, dry, daylit motorway doesn't particularly bother me. The excessive speeds you mention do. (I also agree that the worst and most dangerous speeding is on back roads and built up areas).

Also, when do you experience these perfectly empty motorway times that you can drive at 200k? Do you go drag racing along the M50 at 3 in the morning?
    Anan1 wrote:
    Goodbye, Cormac.

Advertisement