Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which am2 mobo?? and more lol

Options
  • 03-10-2006 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

i really dont know which mobo's are good at all... i know people have been talking about the asus crosshair but id prefer to buy from an irishy website like komplett (yes i know its norweigen but u get wat i mean :)). and also my budget would be 150-200 preferably closer to 150 if possible :).. also i supupose the 4600 will last me until the quad cores? basically im making a rig to get me to quad core, in which ill probably upgrade the cpu as i heard about the bios upgrade that willl be available. then maybe a 7600gt or something like that to keep me going untill dx10 is affordablr :).

Thanks,

Shane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

For €110 you can get an AM2 MSI nForce 570 SLI comes with all the essentials bar Firewire and has a passive chipset cooler so no annoying fan to worry about.

The difference between the 590 and the 570 is just the PCI-E lane configuration 16x16 vs 8x8 in SLI but it makes near zero difference in real word test cases.

Seeing as the GeForce 8 launch is getting closer I'd perhaps get something cheaper like a 7600GS to tide you over unless you know for sure you can sell off the 7600GT at a reasonable price.

Edit: Update saw this news post clarifying AMD's plans disappointingly as it turns out no bios update for AM2 will allow Quad Core CPU's and they have been pushed back to Q3 2007 so they are good ways off & they will use a new socket AM2+ which is the bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd wait for official confirmation before taking that as gospel 8T8, even the Inq hasn't posted that story, and it posts anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I'd say the Inq just haven't seen it yet DigiTimes is usually very reliable in this area and where the Inq lifts quite a few of "their stories" from.

I made a dedicated thread if anyone wants to continue the discussion on AMD's Quad support there.

Advertisement