Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mpg on cars? 1.0 - 1.9

Options
  • 03-10-2006 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Trying to decide on a car to buy for mainly city use.

Im wondering what the mpg difference is on a

anyone know?

Is a 1.0 simply twice as efficient as a 2.0 ? Giving twice the MPG?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Petrol or Diesel?

A 2.0 diesel in a family saloon may easily be more efficient than a 1.0 petrol in a city car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

I found this - USA info but informative.
    (good to see they are converting the natives)

www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/FEG2006intro.pdf

Im thinking of a Diesel for sure.

It would be great to see a comparison chart for different models.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

worded wrote:
    Hi,

Trying to decide on a car to buy for mainly city use.

Im wondering what the mpg difference is on a

anyone know?

Is a 1.0 simply twice as efficient as a 2.0 ? Giving twice the MPG?

It's really not an exact science at all. I got about 30 from a 95 BMW 520, And 35 from a 91 Toyota Sera. 1L Yaris gets insanely high MPG, as does a 1.4 Diesel Megane. Diesel is really the way to go for fuel economy

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the crucial factor is how much the car weighs, and the type of fuel used, not the engine size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

1.4 Jazz gets higher real life mpg than a 1.2 Jazz. Same for many larger saloons.

Diesel is the way for economy on the most part though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The thing about diesels is that they cost more to buy than their petrol equivilant. Add higher road tax and possibly higher insurance. Granted the mpg is obviously better but unless you do a fair bit of mileage then what you save at the pump may not be made back in the overall cost of ownership.

If strictly for city driving and you don't need alot of space a small car makes more sence to me. Something like a 1.0 - 1.3 litre will probably use very little petrol around town. Something like a Toyota Aygo, Peugeot 107 or Citroen C1 are very economical in petrol form.

If you do want the best of both worlds and are prepared to spend the extra money then there are quite a few small engined diesel cars on the market. Something like a Toyota Yaris or Fiat Panda are available with small diesel engines. These cars give incredible mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

A small diesel hatchback. I remember the old Citroen AX 1.4d used to give ~60mpg. Diahatsu charade was even more frugal iirc. Dunno what the modern equivalent is. Diesel Polo maybe?

bazz26 wrote:
    The thing about diesels is that they cost more to buy than their petrol equivilant.

It isn't fair to go comparing a diesel with an entry level petrol. E.g. a 1.6 Avensis and 2.0D4D will be like chalk and cheese to drive. Even a 1.8 would be inferior at overtaking speeds, and the retail price is starting to narrow at that stage.

maidhc wrote:
    It isn't fair to go comparing a diesel with an entry level petrol. E.g. a 1.6 Avensis and 2.0D4D will be like chalk and cheese to drive. Even a 1.8 would be inferior at overtaking speeds, and the retail price is starting to narrow at that stage.

Well I was comparing entry level models of the petrol compared to the entry level diesel. Ok then lets take the entry level 1.8 petrol Aura Avensis costs just over €27k, the entry level 2.0 D4-D Aura Avensis costs just over €30k. They both have around the same bhp but the diesel obviously having more torque and better on fuel. That is a still a difference of €3k for the diesel version. Irespective of how superior the diesel is to drive my points still is that unless you are doing over 20/25k miles a year, especially relevant to the OP who requires a car for city driving, I cannot see how the return at the pump will justify the €3k difference doing low mileage. Saying that even a 1.6/1.8 petrol would not be good value for money if the sole purpose of the car is for city driving.

If I only needed the car for city commuting and didn't need that much space my money would be on something like an Aygo or Panda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 petrolhead

Ever heard of goingreen? It's an electric car that's on sale in London. Costs about 70 Euro a year to run!

GWIZ-black%20cut-outL_300.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

That small car is cool. I can see why it will do well in London.
    I live in an apt block so charging it up would be a problem

Im thinking of a Skoda. VW engineering @ less cost.

car 1

car2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

milltown wrote:
    A small diesel hatchback. I remember the old Citroen AX 1.4d used to give ~60mpg. Diahatsu charade was even more frugal iirc. Dunno what the modern equivalent is. Diesel Polo maybe?

repeating myself here but anyway...

i get over 60mpg out of a diesel peugeot 307 (110BHP, 1.6 HDI, turbo and aftercooled) thats about the size as a golf, and i have never turned the aircon off

back on topic...
    mpg (MILES per gallon) doesn't really matter in the city, because your doing very few miles, you just need a car thats light on fuel when idling in traffic, so the smaller the engine the less friction, think a petrol would be lighter on fuel when idling because of the lower compression. so a 1l petrol will do fine, bit embarrising when the lights go green though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

mukki wrote:
    repeating myself here but anyway...

i get over 60mpg out of a diesel peugeot 307 (110BHP, 1.6 HDI, turbo and aftercooled) thats about the size as a golf, and i have never turned the aircon off

back on topic...
    mpg (MILES per gallon) doesn't really matter in the city, because your doing very few miles, you just need a car thats light on fuel when idling in traffic, so the smaller the engine the less friction, think a petrol would be lighter on fuel when idling because of the lower compression. so a 1l petrol will do fine, bit embarrising when the lights go green though

A. How are you repeating yourself with your first post on this thread?
    B. How do you get back on topic without ever leaving it?

milltown wrote:
    A. How are you repeating yourself with your first post on this thread?
    B. How do you get back on topic without ever leaving it?

i knew you would take me up wrong and think i was giving out to you, and come back and retalliate,come on it was 1:24 am

i kinda was repeating myself, because, i mention my mpg in ever mpg thread

off topic because the guy was "Trying to decide on a car to buy for mainly city use"

bazz26 wrote:
    Ok then lets take the entry level 1.8 petrol Aura Avensis costs just over €27k, the entry level 2.0 D4-D Aura Avensis costs just over €30k. They both have around the same bhp but the diesel obviously having more torque and better on fuel.

The diesel model will always be worth more than a 1.8 Aura model. 1.8 Auras are not sought after, the mentality being "If I'm paying 1.8 road tax, I'll get a Luna."

In this instance, it would make more sense to go diesel - irespective of running costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

A general rule of thumb is that you need to be doing at least 15000miles/yr to get a monetary saving from a diesel, to at least offset, the higher purchase price, insurance, tax against the mpg saving. Of course for accuracy, engine size, car type, what type of driving you do, car new or 2nd hand etc but i9n general if you're in the 12-18000miles/yr you should worry too much about petrol v diesel.

colm_mcm wrote:
    The diesel model will always be worth more than a 1.8 Aura model. 1.8 Auras are not sought after, the mentality being "If I'm paying 1.8 road tax, I'll get a Luna."

In this instance, it would make more sense to go diesel - irespective of running costs.

I agree Colm but I just took them as examples due to the 1.8 petrol and 2.0 diesel having similar bhp and trim level. Neither would make financial or economical sense imo with regards to the OP as a city car.

Sandwich wrote:
    A general rule of thumb is that you need to be doing at least 15000miles/yr to get a monetary saving from a diesel, to at least offset, the higher purchase price, insurance, tax against the mpg saving.

But diesels hold their value better than petrol cars, so you get a relatively large amount of your initial outlay back on resale.

Insurance will be the same (or lower as insurance companies tend not to load high powered diesels as much), tax will in many circumstances be the same also.

I don't think petrols make any sense except in Ferraris or in small city cars, the latter as it tends to be easier to drive a petrol at low speeds, they have adequate pick up to 50km/h, are harder to stall, and as another poster mentioned, MPG hardly matters anyway.

milltown wrote:

Probably the Citroen C1 1.4 HDI or Aygo 1.4D

(urban) 53.3mpg / (extra urban) 83.1mpg / (combined) 68.9mpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

Based on real cost figures over 2 years of using cars for a driving school:-

1.2 litre Mazda 121 (old type ford fiesta) gave 24/25 mpg
    1.9 litre Skoda Fabia is giving 50+ mpg

Obviously when being driven by learners it is often not being driven economically. On a decent run i am getting 70+ from Fabia.

Agree with all comments about more tax, higher purchase costs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Diesels Do not Cost More In Road Tax.

prospect wrote:
    Diesels Do not Cost More In Road Tax.

Yes there is no difference in road tax between a petrol and diesel engine of the same capacity.

But if your in the market for a 1.0 city car then you will need to pay more in road tax to buy the diesel version which is probably a 1.3/1.4 litre minimum.

With relevance to the OP most superminis in petrol guise will return very good mpg from city driving so unless the OP spends alot of time driving to and from the city he will not reap the benefits of the premium he spent on the diesel version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

style of driving is also very important..
    Aceleration takes lotsa fuels..
    If you're only moving to the next traffic light ahead where you can actually see that it's red.. then just let it roll..

Small car definitely help.. But then they tend to have smaller engine which can be annoying when it comes to trying to extract power out of it when you need it..

I have a 1.4 and sometimes I feel like I'm on full throttle yet there's little surge of power coming through..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

The mpg you get out of a car depends how you drive the thing, I can get 54mpg average out of a 2001 Avensis 1.6 petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

Blue850 wrote:
    The mpg you get out of a car depends how you drive the thing, I can get 54mpg average out of a 2001 Avensis 1.6 petrol.

54?? How do you do drive that?

My indicator shows 37.9mpg only..
    I reached 39 once..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Blue850 wrote:

you must live near that miller bike guy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

lau1247 wrote:
    54?? How do you do drive that?

My indicator shows 37.9mpg only..
    I reached 39 once..

Got the 54mpg between Galway and Ennis, last summer, impossible road to overtake on so sat at 55 behind some tourists . 37.9 mpg average? You must do a lot of city driving, mine is in around 46 mpg average, I turn on the mpg calcualtor and keep very little pressure on the throttle,change up early, managed 70mpg on my brothers Octavia 1.9TDI betwen Dublin and Galway with that driving style

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Every time theres a thread on MPG especially for city use, theres always some clown who posts some astronomical MPG for driving long distances at a constant speed.

Why is that?:confused:

Anyone interested in MPG is either interested in the enviroment or spending less money. If you are interested in reducing the cost of your motoring then look at the overall cost of buying, running and selling the car over the time you intend having it. MPG is only a part of that. Tax, insurance, repairs servicing, depreciation have to be taken into account.

If its the enviroment then the newest lightest, lowest powered car is likely the most enviomentally friendly.

Theres also other factors to consider. Take into account what you'll be doing. Travelling alone, carrying a heavy load etc. Parking is much easier in a small car than a big one. Visibility is improved with aircon, an automatic is easier in heavy traffic. Stuff like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement