Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Pings + Packetloss

Options
  • 03-10-2006 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

Anyone else noticed the Metro pings and packetloss figures going through the roof over the past few nights, or is it just me?

Driving me insane :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

zoro wrote:
    Anyone else noticed the Metro pings and packetloss figures going through the roof over the past few nights, or is it just me?

Driving me insane :/

Yes, I have also noticed this, speeds are generally down compared to what they usually are.

a speedtest.ie test last night with no downloads/uploads going measured at download 145kbps/0.9 kbps.

Althought the average was 180/200 or so.
    It has improved slightly tonight at 618/489. Although ping tests are coming back at about 6% loss (dont trust this completely though I have always had packet loss problems, so your connection may be different.)

This has happened the odd time. I am willing to bet they are aware of it and working on it, but log a call all the same, PM me what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Where? mine are OK in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

My 5mbit in Carlow is fine.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Sorry - should've stated that I'm in Phibsboro, Dublin, connected to 3 Rock I believe.

watty wrote:
    Where? mine are OK in Limerick.

Yep, Im in Limerick too, morning tests are fine, its after 8pm that I noticed a drop in performance.

Strangely enough gaming speed is still pretty good.
    Its just downloads and speedtests that are slower.

• Advertisement

Is it ok now for you?

getting 307kB from multithreaded ftp.heanet.ie download.
    Which is 2.4mbit and since I am on a 3mbit its close enough.

Speedtests are still showing 900kbit, but heanet is disproving that.

Packet loss is at 6%, which is about average for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

6% packet loss seems very high.
    What sort of modem figures do you get?
    I get around 1% packet loss (from Collins Barracks, Cork) with a SNR of 30db and downlink power of -1mV.

fisab wrote:
    6% packet loss seems very high.
    What sort of modem figures do you get?
    I get around 1% packet loss (from Collins Barracks, Cork) with a SNR of 30db and downlink power of -1mV.

Well it sort of depends on how many pings you do, but I generally stick to 100 pings.

No I have always had that packet loss, it used to cause problems but it doesnt anymore. It used to disconnect World of Warcraft all the time, I dont know if Digiweb made a change or if Blizzard changed their netcode, but it doesnt drop anymore. I wouldnt know I had packet loss unless I tested for it.

It's absolutely TERRIBLE right now.
    completely unusable for anything gaming related :(

Looks like this is what the whole contention thing is about. It sucks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Contention or not, there's no excuse for packet loss as long as your wireless link the mast is in good shape.

• Advertisement

I'm not getting any packetloss at all - it's the wildly fluctuating pings that are stabbing me in the back.
    17ms minimum, up to 250ms maximum to games2.unreal.ie (not on the digiweb network I know, but it's purely an example)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Oh right, I really just mean everyone in the thread in general.

(AFAIK IANANE) The bad thing about fluctuating pings is that a game sees it as the same thing as packet loss. If packets arrive out of order the game just assumes all the previous ones were lost. Seems to be the case for source engine games anyway, with their "choke" counter reporting the levels of packets being wasted by fluctuating pings.

Advertisement