Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - HD issue

Options
  • 03-10-2006 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Ok here goes,

just after building a new pc compnents listed below -

Asus P5W DH Deluxe,I975X
    Gainward GeForce 7950GT 512MB,1,4ns DDR3
    Zalman CNPS9500LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
    Crucial DDR2 PC5300 2048MB
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

the issue that i am having is after putting the whole rig together and booting up first go. When i go to install windows the HD is only showing up as 127gig and not the 250gig which it should have.
    I thought that maybe it just showed up as 127gig but after inital formating of the HD that it would resolve the problem.
    I have done a full format but to no avail, even in explorer it is showing up as 127gig instead of the 250gig which it has........

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

something to do with drivers and windows xp i think SP2 sorted the issue. You are formatting in NTFS format right?

http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread&forum=116&threadid=1169482&pagenumber=0&msgcount=0&subpage=1

or for more results

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=windows+xp+127Gb&meta=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Assuming you are running SP2 ,
    Go into disk management , see if the drive is reported as the full amount but with only 127 active , ( it should show an unallocated space if this is the case)
    If not , and it shows the drive as being a total size of 127GB then there is a fault with the drive.

I had to RMA one last week , its was a samsung 250GB drive , turned out that the second read head was not connected properly so was only reading one side of the platter , giving me half the drives capacity.

Its a tricky one because it looks like the windows 48 bit LBA issue , which is fixed in SP2 by the way , you also need to check your Bios and make sure that the drive is being reported as the correct size there also.

Advertisement