Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bogus claims

Options
  • 03-10-2006 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was just wondering there is anything u can do about people causing accidents making it look like you were in the wrong.
    eg a freind of mine was traveling down to kerry the other do on a main road goin on the 60mph like most people do :D when suddenly this maniac passes him out flying then dangerously pulls in front of him and slams on the brakes (for no possible reason no on coming traffic and the likes)my friend then slamed on the brakes so he wudnt hit him he has anti lock breaking on the jeep he said if he didnt he wud of went in to a ditch.he managed to keep on the road when the car in question sped off.half a mile up ahead the same car slows down slams on the breaks again when my freind misses him again he puts the car into reverse trying to hit my friend.this continues to happen for ages the car even followed him into a hotel car park continueing the try and reverse into him.now i know my friend shud of got the number plates but he was in a state of panic hes wife was also in the car at the time.i just want to know if he had crashed (i know hed be accused of been in the wrong coz he struck the car from behind)but what can u do when a clown auctully puts the car in reverse.:mad: iv also witnessed dis first hand with people suddenly stoping on round abouts.any advise.could u fight it if something happened.dobut ud get to far but still :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I have to say in the years i have been driving i have never seeing or heard of anything like this happen, but thats not to say that it doesn't happen. What sort of muppett goes out in his car and decides that he wants some to hit him and slams on the brakes and even goes as far as reversing back towards your friends jeep and to go and follow him towards a car park. If that was me i would i blocked the F**ker in the car park dragged him from his car and gave him a good kicking, but thats not the answer. Why didn;t your friend get the reg or try calling the garda and reporting him?

I was driving home late a couple of weeks ago and the car in front of me slammed on the breaks and i jammed on as well. I thought what the f**k was she doing, i could see her staring back in the mirror. She thought i was too close and i was probably was, but it wasn;t on purpose.

I would advise anyone out there to carry a disposeable camera incase of a accident so you can take pictures of the damage and of both cars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Similar thing happened a friend of mine years ago but a guy walking past saw what happened and bore witness to the fact that the guy had just jammed on for no reason. End result was my mate claimed off jammer's insurance and the guy also got a six month ban for dangerous driving for his trouble.

Without a witness you'd be on a very sticky wicket though.

A thought, (I know it's easy in hindsight!) if your mate was in a jeep, after this dick has jammed on for the nth time, if the speeds aren't too high THEN drive into him and put him in the ditch. Then proceed to the nearest Garda station and give them a full account of how you feared for yourself and your wife's lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

well as i said he didnt think of the number plate coz he was in a panic.but i was tellin a fella a few mins ago and he said he was driving to killkenny one day and this moded car was doing about 45mph on a main road(i hates those people:mad: )anyway he went to overtake (which hes entitled to do;) )when suddenly the man in the moded car speeds up the fella i was talkin to said he hit 85mph trying to pass him out and cudnt he tryed slaming on the brakes to get in behind him but the car also slowed down.he was on the other side of the road for about 3 mins and his wife and children were screaming (not good at the best of times)anyway his wife rang the nearest garda station and the cuaught the little (c**ts) further up the road.cud u imagine the consequences if a car was coming the other way just because some little f**ker thought hed have a laugh.people often do go out just to cause crashes and make claims.having a camera in the car to take pics of damage isnt much good if u hit him from behind,and if u avnt a witness ur pritty much in deep s**t:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 petrolhead

I've heard stories about guys who hang around pubs targeting drink drivers. One sits inside looking for people having a pint with car keys on the bar (more common than you think). The other waits in the carpark. Once the guy who's had a couple of pints goes to leave the game's in play and an 'accident' occurs in the carpark. The 'innocent' party demands that the guards are called but can be convinced to let it slide for a cash payment. The cards are generally rust buckets that are used specifically for this purpose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

These arranged accidents are fairly common place, theres usually a hooky solicitor in the background. Easy money for the bastards involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 petrolhead

Spain is full of warnings of people trying to get your attention on the motorway. They make out that there's something wrong with your car and once you stop to check it out they hop in a hijack it!

anyone any more stories.they are very common place.more often than people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

There was a thing down here a few years ago where a particular group used to slam on the brakes in the middle of a roundabout. IIRC, the local constabulary put a stop to it.

As for the guy speeding up whilst you're overtaking, I've had that tried on me once. A 2 mile straight with no oncoming traffic when I started the manouver. I was lucky; the guy who had been behind me saw what was happening and slowed right down, whilst blocking anyone from overtaking him. I just managed to out-brake the guy I was trying to pass and get to the hard shoulder (dangerous, I know, but otherwise I would have been toast). Just missed an oncoming car by seconds.

its amazing how often this happens yet not many people know only the person who gets stung and more often or not the probably end up thinking it is there fault.you cant really do anything coz there are to many little pricks out there.a good hiding is what every one of em needs.any more stories?i think we need to make people more aware that these things are happening.is there any one out there that deals with claims,law etc what can you do if something like this happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Jeez, some scary stories there alright. They should teach how to deal with such instances in driving tests.

The speed match overtaking is dangerous. Suppose if it went on for 3 minutes like above, best bet is to pull in on the other side of the road. If you can, follow them and let the garda know where you are and hopefully they will catch up and stop them and you can give witness and get others to aswell perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They had this on Tonight with Trevor McDonnel(sp?), at least I think it was, a couple of weeks ago. Apperently it's really bad it some parts of England and some Bus companies have put loads of cameras on their buses to video people doing this.

They had one where a car pulls in front of the bus and jams on, bus dodges the car. Car races ahead of bus again and jams on again, bus missed again. But it was crazy to see.

They also said they do it more in front of buses and HGVs as they are harder to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What was the reasoning behind it on that show did they say? To claim insurance money/whiplash or just acting the prick?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's generally to claim insurance money. "Business" men form a little group, with (as someone else said) a dodgy solicitor, car dealer and doctor involved. Guy slams on, gets hit, doctor certifies that the guy has been badly injured in the spine, car dealer massively overestimates the cost of the damage, and the solicitor sorts it all out, getting a hefty fee in the process.

The scumbags generally go for larger vehicles because they're harder to stop, will do more damage, and they feel like it's a victimless crime ("if he owns a jeep he can afford the insurance", "bus companies can afford it", etc).

For the speed matching, it's never happend to me, but personally I'd just pull hard left, play the game on the little ****ers themselves, hopefully running them into a ditch and crippling them for life in the process.

from what im hearing its all to common place i know a fella even thinking of putting a camera in front of his car.coz he does a lot of driving (sales rep) it happens to him fairly regular.i cant see how someone goes out to get injured and cause an accident just to claim.what happens it they get hit to hard veer across the road and into someone else.could end up killing heaps of innocent people.and even if u drove into the back of someone(altho not ur fault)at 60mph u have a fairly decent chance of been killed urself.would the people that cause the crash even care if someone died because of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I found a vid on youtube.com a while ago that some guy took with a mobile phone - they had a BMW X5 and rammed it in the side with a white Transit. Must have been a 10..15mph hit, enough to rock the BMW and cause nice panel damage.

In the comments, people speculated it was an insurance fraud that a bodyshop had setup to gain some business...

Can't find that vid now tho

Advertisement