Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership's top 50 imports on sky1

• 03-10-2006 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭

Anyone watch this tonight? Pretty entertaining I thought, especially the bits with Ginola, Taibi, Di Canio and Radebe :)

Don't know the full top 50 but the top 7 were:

1. Henry
    2. Cantona
    3. Zola
    4. Schmeichel
    5. Keane
    6. Bergkamp
    7. Vieira

RVN was #11, Djorkaeff #13 I think (bizarre), Radebe #15 (also bizarre). Apparently Scots and Whalers don't count as foreigners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

was watching it there myself, cantona no.2 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

"The Catalan Xabi Alonso", well done Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Missed that and everyone's talking about it. :mad: Zola's goal against Norwich, class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

el rabitos wrote:
    was watching it there myself, cantona no.2 lol

whats so funny about that?
    el rabitos, lol

el rabitos, lol

its funny because its obviously a joke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Bateman wrote:
    Missed that and everyone's talking about it. :mad: Zola's goal against Norwich, class.

Good but not as good as this simuilar one scored a few years earlier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlgGtJESwkc&mode=related&search=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Radebe #15 (also bizarre).
    Why is that bizarre? Any Leeds Utd fan you'll meet will have a lot of time for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Im surprized given his suposed adoration among villa fans McGreath didnt make the list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Doubt if most of the "young ones" who voted would know who he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

el rabitos wrote:
    its funny because its obviously a joke

Whats your top 5/10?

Mine is...

1. Henry
    2. Cantona
    3. Bergkamp
    4. Schmeichel
    5. Zola
    6. Pahars :D

• Advertisement

Good but not as good as this simuilar one scored a few years earlier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlgGtJESwkc&mode=related&search=

I think Zola's was better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I can't believe Di canio wasnt in the top 5 or even 7. Utter Legend.

EDIT... Where did he come?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Yeah was watching tonight, was great to see some of the older clips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Where did David Ginola come in? He was brilliant for Newcastle and while at Spurs he won the PFA and Writers Player of the Year awards in 1999 - much to the disgust of Eamon Dunphy who of course felt they should have gone to Roy Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Reganio 2 wrote:
    I can't believe Di canio wasnt in the top 5 or even 7. Utter Legend.

yea but he didnt deserve to be. the top 7 were correct. NO DOUBT

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Whats your top 5/10?

Mine is...

1. Henry
    2. Cantona
    3. Bergkamp
    4. Schmeichel
    5. Zola
    6. Pahars :D

mine would be

1. Henry
    2. Bergkamp
    3. Schmeichel
    4. Zola
    5. Keane
    6. Viera

honourable mentions to desailly, hyypia, given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Winston Bogarde.......

evad_lhorg wrote:
    yea but he didnt deserve to be. the top 7 were correct. NO DOUBT
    TBH I would have put him ahead of Schmeichel. Schmeichel pulled off some good saves every now and then but Di Canio was always brilliant and before people say it I don't support Sheffield Wedensday or West Ham. I just have complete respect for him.

EDIT.. So what would people's top 5 be.
    I'll go with..
    1. Bergkamp
    2. Zola
    3. Henry
    4. Di Canio
    5. Keane
    I personally never liked Viera or Cantona thought both were over rated. Just my 2 cents.

1. Winston Bogarde
    2. Ali Dia
    3. Tomas Brolin
    4. Branco
    5. El Hadji Diouf
    6. Bosko Balaban
    7. Karel Poborsky
    8. Stéphane Guivarc'h
    9. Joseph Yobo
    10. Roy Keane

Just some amendments to my earlier list.
    Reganio 2 wrote:
    I just have complete respect for him.

Fascist!

dont forget veggard heggem...who?! exactly

• Advertisement

1. Georgi Kinkladze
    2. Marco Boogers
    3. Dennis Bergkamp
    4. William Prunier
    5. Peter Schmeichel
    6. Thierry Henry
    7. Jordi Cryuff
    8. Gianfranco Zola
    9. Phil Masinga
    10. Eric Cantona
    11. Andrea Silenzi
    12. Lucas Radebe
    13. Temuri Ketsbaia
    14. Patrick Vieira
    15. Branko Strupar

el rabitos wrote:

Veggard Heggem the guy who played right back for Liverpool and was from Norway? Yes of course I remember him.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Fascist!
    Here I didn't say I agreeed with what he tought I just tought he was a great footballer why should I care what he does in his private life its none of my business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Why Bergkamp is as low as 6 is beyond me. People seem to forget all too easily how much of a genius he was. As an Arsenal fan you're just going to think I'm biased but the best two foreign players who've ever played in the premiership were/are without a doubt Henry & Bergkamp.

Reganio 2 wrote:
    Here I didn't say I agreeed with what he tought I just tought he was a great footballer why should I care what he does in his private life its none of my business.

I was buzzin!
    el rabitos wrote:

He is currently the owner and manager of a salmon fishing business at the river Orkla in Sør-Trøndelag, Norway.

On a serious note, can't believe I forgot Solskjaer, he'd be top 5 for me.

Why Bergkamp is as low as 6 is beyond me. People seem to forget all too easily how much of a genius he was. As an Arsenal fan you're just going to think I'm biased but the best two foreign players who've ever played in the premiership were/are without a doubt Henry & Bergkamp.
    I put Bergkamp top of mine and Henry 3rd. Bergkamp was amazing remember his goal againt Newcastle. (of course you do how can you forget:) .

OK sorry MrJoeSoap a big smile would have done the trick:D

i'd probably have marc overmars in my top 5 aswell if he'd played a season or 2 more in the premiership, excellent player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

definitely a biased opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

el rabitos wrote:
    i'd probably have marc overmars in my top 5 aswell if he'd played a season or 2 more in the premiership, excellent player

Definately, you could seee defenders cringe as he ran at them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

exactly mate whats so funny about that,cantona was a legenddddddddd and certainly was the first truly great foreigner to grace every football ground in england with his class true legend.
    OOH AAH OOH AAH CANTONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

el rabitos, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

cantona must have stung your team several times muhaaaaaaaaa

el rabitos wrote:
    mine would be

1. Henry
    2. Bergkamp
    3. Schmeichel
    4. Zola
    5. Keane
    6. Viera

honourable mentions to desailly, hyypia, given

cantona was more style than substance, if he didnt score or get booked, you would never know he played.

as a character i liked him and when he did something special it was great, but he didnt contribute much during many matches and was anonymous in far too many matches to ever be considered to have contributed more than bergkamp or zola or keane or viera.

he'd be on a par with di canio (IMO!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Yes Cantona is very overrated imo. He also never performed well in Europe.

Edit: He'd still be in my top 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

I thought there were a few notable exceptions such as Gullit, Ravenelli, Litmannen, Sukor and Crespo. Surely they were better than some of the inclusions?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Di Canio was placed #10 IIRC.

I think it continued as follows:

#8 Ginola
    #9 Makelele
    #10 Di Canio
    #11 Van Nistelrooy

Vieira and Keane should be higher up imo, Zola and Cantona down a few places.
    el rabitos wrote:
    Great pace and finishing but Pires was a much better player, who was too lowly ranked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I dont see why Cantona should not be up there, Manchester United have been the overall best team in the premiership, and IMO if Cantona had not come along they wouldnt have been half the club they are now. I cannot believe that people would not put him in their top 5...granted he talked alot of waffle, stamped once or twice on players, awful bad temper and that kick into the crowd, but what about Keane, Veira and Bergkamp? These players to a lesser degree were guilty of such things

Mine top 11 would be:

1 Henry

2 Keane

3 Schmeichel

4 Cantona

5 Desailly

6 Van Nistelrooy

7 Hyypia

8 Zola

9 Ginola

10 Berkamp

11 Irwin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

as a loyal spurs fan, my views are completely unbiased, but the best foriegn player in the premier have obviously been klinsmann...

as for cantona being over-rated. rofl.
    awesome player.

el rabitos wrote:
    cantona was more style than substance, if he didnt score or get booked, you would never know he played.

IMO......ah scratch that lets look at the facts

assists
    http://premiersoccerstats.com/PlayerHome.cfm?PlayerId=CANTONE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Realisitically, on trophies won and man of the match awards and sheer influence on the league, it had to be Keane number one.

Henry is a great player, but Keane has done more in the Premier leagues short history than any other player.

Draupnir wrote:
    Realisitically, on trophies won and man of the match awards and sheer influence on the league, it had to be Keane number one.

Henry is a great player, but Keane has done more in the Premier leagues short history than any other player.

I kinda agree, maybe a dead heat, simply because Henry did some amazing things, great entertainer...and is as important to Arsenal as Keane was to United. Though Keane won alot more with United, ah the argument could go on and on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think 'pool fans are always going to have a problem with Cantona, the year Utd played them in the Cup final, the upcoming months were all about how 'pool would do them over and would go on and win the prem the next season (as usual).. and then Cantona wins it in the 90th minute, while the 'pool players part like the red sea before Moses :)

Of course, the premiership has been going on so long now, that people like Cantona and Schmeichel will start to become more and more forgotten, but there's no doubt that Henry is the best import now, and Cantona was the best import then. Of course, I doubt we'll see Henry almost single handedly dragging Arsenal towards a title like Cantona did, but Henry has been far more of a success in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I think as this was a prem list people have to look at what only happened in the prem and for that reason Cantona is well up there. Now I personally think Cantona was extremely over rated and I think its a shame on Uniteds history that he regularly tops their greates of all time polls considering some of the players they have had! But thats because I'm looking at his play and career as a whole. Europe, International etc...

So judge it by only considering the prem but even still I think the best player the prem has had was Roy Keane. Henry is great but he just cannot drive a team and a game like Roy could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

You people are nuts - Cantona should be number 1. Probably the best player in the last 20 years. Keane & Henry closely behind. Then Viera... etc etc.

I reckon some of the current batch of Chelsea players will cement their status over time, its still a little early to proclaim their legend status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Xavi6 wrote:
    1. Georgi Kinkladze
    2. Marco Boogers
    3. Dennis Bergkamp
    4. William Prunier
    5. Peter Schmeichel
    6. Thierry Henry
    7. Jordi Cryuff
    8. Gianfranco Zola
    9. Phil Masinga
    10. Eric Cantona
    11. Andrea Silenzi
    12. Lucas Radebe
    13. Temuri Ketsbaia
    14. Patrick Vieira
    15. Branko Strupar

Thats not the top 20 is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

My top 5 would be:

1. Cantona
    2. Keane
    3. Henry
    4. Bergkamp
    5. Schmeichel

IMO Cantonas arrival at United triggered everything that came in the following 10-12 years. When he arrived is confidence, skill, attitude immediately rubbed off on all around him and this inspired a team that probably would not have won the league into champions in 92/93 and everything that followed.

Recently had this argument with a mate who said Keane was more influential and undoubtedly Keanes leadership and skill led them to the treble but I believe that had Cantona not arrived then much of Uniteds success may not have happened. Who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

As picking the best team is directly related to who you support.
    What about the worst imports heres my top 5:
    1. Massimo Taibi
    2. Aki Akinbayi (nick name panic buy).
    3. Thomas Brolin.
    4. Sergi Rebrov.
    5. Pascal Cygan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

bucks73 wrote:
    My top 5 would be:

1. Cantona
    2. Keane
    3. Henry
    4. Bergkamp
    5. Schmeichel

IMO Cantonas arrival at United triggered everything that came in the following 10-12 years. When he arrived is confidence, skill, attitude immediately rubbed off on all around him and this inspired a team that probably would not have won the league into champions in 92/93 and everything that followed.

i would agree with you bucks

Still no mention of Solskjaer! :eek:

MrJoeSoap wrote:

in the top ten, no chance. definite top 20 all right...the likes of Kewell, Makelelee and Pires shouldnt have been ahead of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    would be in my top ten though

• Advertisement
Advertisement