Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Mariah Carey under-rated??

Options
  • 04-10-2006 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Only reply to this please if you have a valid opinion please and not because you want to call her a slut or a freak, please lets be realistic about it.

I wanted to know other peoples opinions on this? I am actually not a great fan of her work but lately have been doing alot of research on her for college. What I came across was that she writes, produces everything that she releases and whats on her albums, She even wrote 90 percent of her 17 number one hits singles.

Ok I know not everyone likes her style of music but isnt she consistant? I mean she is out since 1990, has gone through alot of stick from when she ditched pop for RnB but yet still sells millions, is the Jealousy of some people that try to destroy her? Undeniably she has a stunning range in her voice, ok some people might think its too much but, Doesnt Beyonce, Christina go a bit over the top?? why dont they get as much stick for it? Oh I forgot they are hot right now so people continue to be dictated by the music they are fed on Radio.

really the point I am trying to make is that people shouldnt judge a book by its cover and should get a few facts right before they start preaching, Mariah is mega talented and even gives alot to Charity. She runs Camp Mariah for underprivileged Kids, Donated all the money from the sales of her single "Hero" Also the sales from her MTV unplugged album went to Aids Charity. dont forget these albums and single didnt sell in the hundreds they sold in the millions so she has given a decent amount of cash to try and make a difference.

Thanks for reading

Fact: 17 number ones and is the only artist with the potential of beating the beatles record of the most number ones in the USA. Go Mariah!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I'm not here to irrationally critizise her but any interviews i've seen or read with her she does come across as a very dislikeable person, Fair play to her sucess i suppose but i never liked the way she could never sing a song without adding her own vocal histronics to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Personally, I only really dislike her for her appearance and general demeanour on 'Cribs'. The number of outfit changes is disgusting!

That said, "All I Want For Christmas" is an all-time favourite of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

scumpox wrote:
    Only reply to this please if you have a valid opinion please and not because you want to call her a slut or a freak, please lets be realistic about it.

Thanks for reading

Fact: 17 number ones and is the only artist with the potential of beating the beatles record of the most number ones in the USA. Go Mariah!!!!

I hate it when people say she gives loads to cahirty how about a bit modest living? then i'd be impressed. One day these kids can waste money up their noses etc like me.

I guess she is talented and had good producers and has always been into RnB, her diva-ness isn't just rumours, she not good looking enough to wear so little clothing,

and she's Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

she not good looking enough to wear so little clothing, .

i think she actually has them "doctor up" her pictures to make her look thinner. but then again, i'm sure other people do that too, so ah well.

i was never fond of most of her music. i like some of her songs. i heard she didn't have the best of attitudes toward the hawaii people when she came in concert, so that's a major dis-like factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

not a huge fan of r&b in the first place but i do think she has a great voice, and obviously has had a very successful career to date.

however, people don't like the whole "diva" thing. her general attitude seems to be completely spun out of this alternate reality where she sits on a high throne above everyone else. i remember one story where she showed a room on cribs and said fans are more then welcome to stay, but when fans inevitably showed up, she sent them on their way... via security. this, to me, shows she's trying to show she's a nice person, but in reality she's just this pompous "diva"...

ignoring her general demeaner, her music is not important. it doesn't shake the earth. she hasn't changed the way anyone thinks about music. she's just kind of "there". she can throw her voice up and down octaves like no tomorrow, but that's a pretty pointless talent to have if the end result is mediocrity. and that is why she's "under-rated", because her music is bland.

but i do think she's hot :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i believe she is not as successful as she could be because quite frankly people dislike her as a person

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

well she was the top selling artist in the world in the 90s if i remember correctly so you can't deny her success. She can definitely sing, you can't deny that, and i'm sure there are plenty of famous people who donate to charity regularly, so its not that big a deal, i mean, bill gates made a single donation of $1bn to charity! She definitely comes across as a person for whom every "selfless" act is in fact a piece of shameless self-promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

What good songs did she have. Is she even as good as Whitney?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

She sings like a dying dog, with those warbly high pitched notes she just holds and holds, its actually destroying music for future generations.
    She is also, eh, mental, lest we all forget what a nutbag she is.
    Her style of music is one entirely reserved for 14 year old girls, who then go to karaoke nights to do EVEN more annoying versions of the song that bitch originally released in the first place.
    She is also a dumb as **** self-centred money-grabbing self-loving diva.
    As far as I know one of her previous record labels gave her 80m (bought out the rest of her contract) just so she would **** off.
    She married the head of another record company and a string of number ones followed.
    There is also a sinister general air of michael jackson about her.
    And who cares if she is the biggest selling female artist, didnt westlife break records set by the beatles?
    This goes one step further towards proving that people are stupid and probably always will be.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

PS I'd like to do a personalised job of doctoring some pictures for her in future.

the bitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

I couldn't give a sh1t if shes a diva or a nutcase or whatever people say about her, she is an amazing singer, the notes she can hit are unreal and she does write good pop songs, not really my kind of music but credit where credits due. Wasn't she the only act to have a number one every year of the 90's in America. Some one said shes not good looking enough to wear the clothes she wears, well you don't look at the fireplace when your poking the fire buddy, and she has a smoking hot body, maybe she has her pics doctured I don't know, but when i've seen her give interviews on telly she has an amazing body.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

mariah carey is brutal,,, every song since 97 has been the very same things,,,, her dancing around in slow motion with her hair blowing,, only stopping to dance beside the "man of the moment" black rapper. then coming back in with high notes that would shatter glass..

i ask you,,, where is the talent in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Mossy Monk wrote:
    i believe she is not as successful as she could be because quite frankly people dislike her as a person

How successful does she have to be ffs? She is the top selling female artist EVER in the USA, and has sold over 100 million albums to date worldwide. Yes she does come across as a bit of a diva, but no more so than most other mega-rich highly successful stars. I guess it goes with the territory. Personally I'm not a big fan of her music, but diva or not, man I'd love to....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The main irritant for me is that like Whitney Houston; she's one of those mainstream black singers that is too into over showy singing. She's supposed to have a five octave voice. So what? This means every song has to have that warbly over-modualted style of singing that makes it sound like its been programmed by a soul music cyborg for your listening pleasure.

I havent liked anything I've heard since her first album (Music Box?) which I remember having a few OK songs but again, she spoiled with the same over-technical sterile singing that seems to have also crept into a lot of R and B in recent years.

This is not a crit of commercial soul or R n B, just her particular take on it.

I also have a residual annoyance due to her videos I have chanced upon; ditto quotes that have (perhaps falsely) been attributed to her but at the end of the day; its the music that counts and I don't really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Hate her music, just because it's sold well doesn't mean it's any good. Hate her apparent attitude, the whole living in cloud cuckoo land air she projects. Hate the showy nature of her singing and the fact that it's wasted on such unadulterated tripe.

Her body, though.....yummy! (she'd have to keep her gob shut though)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Here's a little experiment i tried a few years ago to settle some argument.

Now we all know she has sold a truck load of records, can sing (not to everyone's taste) and has had a load of hits. Good for her.

On to the experiment:

Excluding the Christmas tune (which gets an airing every year), ask some of your colleagues to hum 5 of her tunes from the 90's (the peak of her popularity?).

Then ask them to hum 5 tunes by an equally successful female artist, for example, like Madonna...

In my experience most people will not be able to remember the melody of more than one or two Mariah tunes max. No one remembers her tunes!

Madonna tunes, on the other hand, people have no problem remembering...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

dalk wrote:
    Madonna tunes, on the other hand, people have no problem remembering...
    Ah yeah, there's that one from the mid 90s...

"Bill Oddie, Bill Oddie, put your hands all over my body."

Sex-laden stuff indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

heh - you read that on the spine of an old Q magazine, didn't you...Q99, if memory serves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 scumpox

stovelid wrote:
    The main irritant for me is that like Whitney Houston; she's one of those mainstream black singers that is too into over showy singing. She's supposed to have a five octave voice. So what? This means every song has to have that warbly over-modualted style of singing that makes it sound like its been programmed by a soul music cyborg for your listening pleasure.

I havent liked anything I've heard since her first album (Music Box?) which I remember having a few OK songs but again, she spoiled with the same over-technical sterile singing that seems to have also crept into a lot of R and B in recent years.

This is not a crit of commercial soul or R n B, just her particular take on it.

I also have a residual annoyance due to her videos I have chanced upon; ditto quotes that have (perhaps falsely) been attributed to her but at the end of the day; its the music that counts and I don't really like it.

You haven't liked anything since her first album? Music Box? 4th Album you mean. 3 other albums were before that. Dont forget MC is out since 1990.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 scumpox

Do you know what wrecks my head?

when people come on here ranting and raving about things they know Jack **** about. MC gives a lot to Charity. She Donated all the money from worldwide sales of one of her biggest selling hits "Hero" to the victims of the long Island railway shootings in 93 and she has her own Fresh air Fund Camp which is called Camp Mariah and helps underprivilaged children from inner cities areas and gives them hope and direction in their lives also her 3rd album MTV Unplugged all the sales were donated to Aids research. She re-released Hero/Never too far medley in 2001 and donated the sales to the 9/11tradegy, all those are to only name a few, She also Donated 10million dollars to the Hurricane Katrina victims, the list just goes on.

It is very funny to see some people who havent done their research on someone but yet think they know it all. Ok fair enough Mariah might not be as successful in the Uk and Ireland as much as she is in the United States but dont forget Mariah does it all herself, writing, production and directing not like her rivals Maddonna , Whitney, Celine who all just sit back and all the work is presented to them, all they have to do is sing them. Mariah is a hard worker and very dedicated. I know this might not change peoples minds that already dont like her but like some people said you cannot deny her talent and that she has a remarkable range and yes ok she might warble a bit but look how many other singers like Christina and Britney all try to be like her? She has got Soul end of!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

scumpox wrote:
    dont forget Mariah does it all herself, writing, production

Indeed. I spent the sum total of about 5 minutes doing some research on your claims that she does everything "herself"...

- I found only one song that she has sole writing credit for. So the overwhelming majority of her songs were co-written.

- It seems that all of her albums have people (along with herself) credited with production duties. So I am going to say she co-produced her albums.

- She doesn't seem to be credited with playing any instrument on the albums i looked at. So again, ruling out magic, i am going to say that other people played all the instruments on the albums.

So, to recap, if by "herself" you mean she got help from lots of professional musicians, producers and songwriters, then yeah she did it all "herself"...
    scumpox wrote:
    It is very funny to see some people who havent done their research on someone but yet think they know it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Calm down mate, isn't there a picture somewhere of her you can have a tug over?
    scumpox wrote:
    Do you know what wrecks my head?

when people come on here ranting and raving about things they know Jack **** about. MC gives a lot to Charity. She Donated all the money from worldwide sales of one of her biggest selling hits "Hero" to the victims of the long Island railway shootings in 93 and she has her own Fresh air Fund Camp which is called Camp Mariah and helps underprivilaged children from inner cities areas and gives them hope and direction in their lives also her 3rd album MTV Unplugged all the sales were donated to Aids research. She re-released Hero/Never too far medley in 2001 and donated the sales to the 9/11tradegy, all those are to only name a few, She also Donated 10million dollars to the Hurricane Katrina victims, the list just goes on.

It is very funny to see some people who havent done their research on someone but yet think they know it all. Ok fair enough Mariah might not be as successful in the Uk and Ireland as much as she is in the United States but dont forget Mariah does it all herself, writing, production and directing not like her rivals Maddonna , Whitney, Celine who all just sit back and all the work is presented to them, all they have to do is sing them. Mariah is a hard worker and very dedicated. I know this might not change peoples minds that already dont like her but like some people said you cannot deny her talent and that she has a remarkable range and yes ok she might warble a bit but look how many other singers like Christina and Britney all try to be like her? She has got Soul end of!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

She is both mediocre and exceptionally unlikeable.Saying that complete dolt Britney wants to be like her is really an insult.

The question should be, why should I listen to Mariah when I can listen to the likes of Jill Scott,D'Angelo,Maxwell,Nina Simone,Res,Goapele etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement