Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When was the last time you seen an owl?

Options
  • 04-10-2006 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

Pighead hasn't seen one for years and even at that its possible I've never seen one. Vaguely remember seeing one when I was a kid but that may have been in Television land.

Actually went out late last night and walked to the park in an attempt to find one. Even hooted like an owl for a while but got absolutely no response. Are they extinct? Do they live in Ireland? Do they even exist?
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

There has been a massive decrease in barn owls (and probably other owls) over the last 20 years, they are a endangered species now i think.
    Dont know too much about it but i havent seen one in years but saying that i wouldn't expect to see them in urban areas

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭colmranger

Long Eared Owls are quite commmon. They are doing well because of all the new land under afforestation in the last 20 years.

We also have a good few Short Eared Owls that migrate over here from Siberia during winter.

Snowy owls are breeding in some remote parts of Ireland too in recent years.

Barn Owls are very rare in Ireland now yet in the UK they are making progress due to nest boxes being erected everywhere. Birdwatch Ireland are now putting up a lot of boxes here so hopefully it will be a success too for our last few remaining Barn Owls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead lives in Phibsboro which unfortunately isn't renowned for its Owl population. Where do you reckon is the closest spot I'll find one. Phoenix Park perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Lindaloo

Last one I saw was in the zoo, I was standing there hungover to bits and could hear a strange noise, was looking around for ages and then looked up a bit and there's an owl up near the eaves snoring away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Pighead, so you have to talk about yourself in the third person? You sound like Liam Lawler, gives off a sense of worrying self importance.

There is a good chance of you seeing a Barn Owl on the salt marshes in Dollymount at dusk or dawn. (go accross the causeway and turn left or right before the golf course. Or go accross the wooden bridge, turn left down the slip to the sea scout den, head along the wall to the causeway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭colmranger

The best place to watch owls is actually in Dublin almost in the city center!!!!

In winter the large Owl from Siberia the Short Eared Owl can be even seen in daylight ours hunting/flying on Bull Island.

They are a well known/famous aspect of the fauna of Bull Island. They are very easy to find there especially towards late evening in winter when there is still plenty of winter sunshine about. Very beautifull and large owl too.

lightening wrote:
    Pighead, so you have to talk about yourself in the third person? You sound like Liam Lawler, gives off a sense of worrying self importance.

There is a good chance of you seeing a Barn Owl on the salt marshes in Dollymount at dusk or dawn. (go accross the causeway and turn left or right before the golf course. Or go accross the wooden bridge, turn left down the slip to the sea scout den, head along the wall to the causeway)

Thanks for the info lightening. Pighead might head down to Dollymount this weekend to see if he can spy any owls. If there are no owls to be found I'm afraid I'll never trust you again.

PS lightening, do you have to have a username without a capital letter? You sound like a nobody, gives off a sense of a worrying lack of self importance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I had a beautiful long eared owl brought to me last week - he had been hit by a car - but sadly he died 5 days later even after a vet had said he would be fine.

DSCF3959-1.jpg
    DSCF3991-1.jpg

Now thats what Pigheads talking about. Absolutely beautiful. Love those ideas.Great picture Bond-007. Respect the Owl. Possibly the greatest of all the birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Pighead, the guys here -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=406 might be able to give you more information on where to find owls. :)

B

• Advertisement

Pighead, the guys here -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=406 might be able to give you more information on where to find owls. :)

B
    Cheers FranknFurter, didn't even realise such a forum existed. Thank you sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I saw a barn owl attacking and killing one of the smaller birds at the feeders last year and my parents made similar reports before, seems he was feeding off the small weedy ones. Then again where I live is a rather pristine piece of country with sightings of various bats every dusk and beautiful mountains all round added to that about 300 acres of broadleaf trees Oak, Ash and some of the last surviving Elm trees in the country. Now the whole thing is under threat so venture Capitalists can make profits out of wind turbines. I am seriously considering Immigrating so bad is the situation in Kerry due to the current government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 I Shot J.R.

I saw a barn owl a few weeks ago in Ongar just between Clonee and Clonsilla. Theres some undeveloped lend (To date, Mennolly homes already have the application in for 100s of apts) across the new Ongar road from it with builders rubble/other crap on it. Out hunting rats or mice I assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Pighead wrote:
    Pighead lives in Phibsboro which unfortunately isn't renowned for its Owl population. Where do you reckon is the closest spot I'll find one. Phoenix Park perhaps?
    Why are you talking in the third person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Simple, he is Pighead!
    One of boards.ie's many erm.... "unique".... charachters ;)
    You will learn and become familiar with the charm that is the pigman after a while lol

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Because he's a prat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

At the Zoo last week actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Leave him be. He'll be dredging up his third person homilies in years to come and holding his head in his hands...

actually most of the rest of us will too :o
    Arcadian wrote:
    Because he's a prat?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wokie

On my shoulder!!! I've got a tatoo of an owl;)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

i have seen owls just over two weeks ago and i live in the dublin suburbs would that help as there would be more rats and mice in the city

• Advertisement
Advertisement