Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the good word

• 04-10-2006 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

on McCann this week? :) Anyone take a look at the letters section of the N&S?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

No It doesn't come in her till Friday as you know.My focus are visiting today so They might have brought it with them.Waterford today is online and there is a couple of interesting letter.Tony Fitzgerald has a rather sheepish one and An Ameican guy explaining how FDI has brought our country forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought this was a religious thread! :D

Look out for two women dressed in brown/black (late 30s early 40s) who are speading "the good word" in the Cherrymount/Avondale area

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

mike65 wrote:
    I thought this was a religious thread! :D

Look out for two women dressed in brown/black (late 30s early 40s) who are speading "the good word" in the Cherrymount/Avondale area

Mike.

:D

Yeah, these thread titles were looking about samey, with BMC is the title of at least one thread per week. :) Arguably not the best descriptive title for the thread though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shall we pray at the feet of St Brendan?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Now the EU lot are using Ireland as an example of poor planning there'll be no stopping him

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote:
    Now the EU lot are using Ireland as an example of poor planning there'll be no stopping him

Oh really? Funny, I reckon you could build anything you want in some other EU countries... not in Ireland though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

deisemum wrote:

The report sites mainly Dublin with it's low density low rise and urban sprawl just like what mcCann wants in Waterford.

he wants everybody to have nice gardens and live in Semi-D's instead of high rise and high density with communal gardens like they have in the rest of the EU

People should now use this study against him and expose his lack of understanding when it comes to Urban Planning which he has no qualifications in and should not be dictating to experts in this field.

How would he like it if I went to his place of Employment and started dictating to him how to lecture his classes and that his current teaching practices left a lot to be desired and was not in the best interests of his students.:mad:

I agree that McCann is in favour of out of town, low density development, over more sustainable development. This, by the way, must be against Green Party policy. It really is nuts that we have a self appointed planning watchdog who he is not even in favour of the right sort of development. His main focus appears to be historical preservation, rather than city planning.

It might be worthwhile for someone to point out that whatever McCann is, he is not really a 'green', and does not really belong in the Green Party. Suggesting that the Brewery be built on the outer ring road, where there is no public transport (for the good reason that it is a road, not a destination), rather than in the inner city, whose infrastructure is ideally suited for it (all roads lead to and from the centre), is definitely not very green thinking.

Also Waterford is suffering almost as much as Dublin for urban sprawl, although we haven't hit the problems yet. Waterford is probably 50% larger than it was 25 years ago, but only 25% more populous. At the dawn of the 20th century, you would have 25,000 people living right in the city centre and ballybricken, many in tenements. Now we have 50,000 people spread out over a large area. My big fear is that the ORR and the bypass having estates built along the length of them, and the ribbon development grinds these roads to a halt, and we are back in the same situation again. Except that we won't be seeing this level of investment again any time soon. The population just wouldn't justify it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

merlante wrote:
    on McCann this week? :) Anyone take a look at the letters section of the N&S?

One letter saying McCann does a great service to Waterford by objecting, subsequently gets a lashing from News & Star for accusing them of not giving a balanced view in a recent article (Sept 15th "McCann had no plans to change").

One from an American who bought a cottage in Dunmore East and who visits every year, makes the point that the University is an essential part of growth in Waterford.

A long interesting one about the lack of comparing like with like in McCann and others arguments against developments.

And one saying that the WAISCD's arguments are mostly illogical.

Good letters (apart from the first one) :)

Advertisement