Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suburban Autos Ltd, Rathmines, steer clear...

Options
  • 04-10-2006 8:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

Pleaded guilty to clocking a car according to todays Irish Independent, this kind of thing really annoys me, a measly total of €1600 out of pocket for the garage for being caught for this crime makes it all the more worthwhile for them to continue the process:mad: ...

Logbook tells the truth in illegal car 'clocking' case

A CAREFULLY filled-in logbook left in a glove compartment proved the undoing for a dealer who had just sold a "clocked" car, a court heard yesterday.

The car's milometer had been tampered with to indicate it had only 47,000 miles, whereas the real figure was over 75,000 miles.

Suburban Autos Ltd, Mount Pleasant Avenue, Rathmines, Dublin 6, pleaded guilty to selling a vehicle with a false trade description in May 2004. The company was fined €400 with €1,100 costs and witness expenses.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1699587&issue_id=14722 (Free sub required)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm glad to see these guys getting caught. I've no time for people who add false value to a car in this manner.

But I do agree, the fine is just far to low. But the reputation that follows may be more damaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

My Dad bought his last car off this crowd and has been very happy with it....he had intended buying off them again but I will be showing him that new story and I'm sure he might feel differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I also agree the fine issued to this crowd was a joke. How many other cars have been sold by them with a dubious mileage history? I'd be very doubtful that this is the fist time it has happened, and they were caught on their first misdemeanour.
    Deaers misrepresenting mileage on cars are commiting fraud, plain and simple, and there should be some form of legislation there to ban them from the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

To be honest the fine is nothing compared to the money they will lose in sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

To be honest the fine is nothing compared to the money they will lose in sales.

Yes pity Revenue or Consumers Affairs don't have a published list of such dealers and a list of directors in their companies so we could all permanently avoid them, this would go along way towards reducing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Moby

This garage has now moved to Harolds Cross Road

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There was something in todays Indo about the current Suburban CS being different to the one that was referred to in the above article.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

The fine is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 N-Tray

Hi, I had put a deposit on a car with suburban autos, then saw this post and became very worried!
    I phoned in a panic to cancel sale. They said they had a full service history, and faxed the cars' manual over to me. It shows when it was serviced, at what mileage and stamped from a reputable VW dealer, who I phoned and they confirmed the details from their computer records.
    I drove away a wonderful bargain and I am delighted with it. This reputation is dogging the company as they sold on a car not knowing it was clocked. As a very satisfied customer i say give them a chance.
    You should always check service history and this will tell you if it was clocked.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

N-Tray wrote:
    Hi, I had put a deposit on a car with suburban autos, then saw this post and became very worried!
    I phoned in a panic to cancel sale. They said they had a full service history, and faxed the cars' manual over to me. It shows when it was serviced, at what mileage and stamped from a reputable VW dealer, who I phoned and they confirmed the details from their computer records.
    I drove away a wonderful bargain and I am delighted with it. This reputation is dogging the company as they sold on a car not knowing it was clocked. As a very satisfied customer i say give them a chance.
    You should always check service history and this will tell you if it was clocked.

Interesting this.

You are suggesting they sold on a clocked car with no knowledge of that. Are you sure that is the case?

Who clocked it I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

N-Tray wrote:
    This reputation is dogging the company as they sold on a car not knowing it was clocked.

Why did they plead guilty then, if they unknowingly sold it on they would have pleaded innocent?

If it's a UK vehicle I hope you also got a HPI check done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Why did they plead guilty then, if they unknowingly sold it on they would have pleaded innocent?

If it's a UK vehicle I hope you also got a HPI check done.

It doesn't matter that they unknowingly sold it as clocked, they are still guilty of selling a clocked car unfortunately...it may have been a mitigating factor and reason for such a low fine...or it could be complete BS and they knew it was clocked all along!

Either way, ignorance is not an excuse as far as the law is concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 N-Tray

Pleaded guilty because they sold the car, but could not track down whoever they bought it from, suppose they couldnt deny it.
    The car reciept on the car i bought is from a dublin suppplier.

If a car you are buying has an english reg, its easier to check for clocking as there is a website (can't recall it at the mo) where you can check any UK reg and it will show you its history for a small fee.
    I know someone who checked a Passat after they bought it, found it was clocked, and got a replacement car from the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

You don't happen to work for this crowd, do you?.....................

N-Tray wrote:
    Did you read my post (#8) where it said that the current Suburban Car Sales is not the same as the one in the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

kbannon wrote:
    Did you read my post (#8) where it said that the current Suburban Car Sales is not the same as the one in the article?

I do recall there being two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

N-Tray wrote:
    Pleaded guilty because they sold the car, but could not track down whoever they bought it from, suppose they couldnt deny it.
    The car reciept on the car i bought is from a dublin suppplier.

If a car you are buying has an english reg, its easier to check for clocking as there is a website (can't recall it at the mo) where you can check any UK reg and it will show you its history for a small fee.
    I know someone who checked a Passat after they bought it, found it was clocked, and got a replacement car from the garage.

You seem to know a lot about this company, whats your affiliation with them? Added them to my list of companies to keep clear off, listed them above Michael Kelly auctioneers LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

kbannon wrote:

They are both owned by same company.

http://www.suburbanautos.com/about_us.htm

Conveniently located showrooms at Church Avenue Rathmines and other premises at 258-260 & 306 Harolds Cross Road Dublin 6...

Crap. I made the mistake of believing the Indo. I feel so dirty!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I hope you have learned from the experience however kbannon;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

What about the fine and sentence handed down to the ex MD of a Dealership in the south of the country for running a price fixing cartel. Everyone knows its rampent in the main dealerships. Its just so hard to prove. I've been there trying to get the best cash deal on a new car. The difference between garages is tiny and I mean tiny..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Clocking cars happens at pretty much every backyard/small time dealer in the country. It's even rampant on carzone, where it is so obvious. I saw a BMW for sale for 12k a while back 99000 miles clocked. It was up for many months. I saw it again about three weeks ago and the mileage was conveniently down to 81000. It actually sold, and some poor sucker thought he was getting a good deal.

I dont know why manufacturers haven't encrypted car computers yet to deal with this practice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

I bought my current car from Suburban in Rathmines. I would not deal with them again. They did not describe the history of the car accurately and did not give a proper guarantee.

Jo King wrote:
    I bought my current car from Suburban in Rathmines. I would not deal with them again. They did not describe the history of the car accurately and did not give a proper guarantee.
    So why did you buy it?
    Dodgy practices exist because people allow them to. I know our consumer legislation is weak especially when it comes to cars but even if we had the best protection it does not remove the onus on the buyer to make sure that they don't buy a lemon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Elessar wrote:
    I dont know why manufacturers haven't encrypted car computers yet to deal with this practice.

I can't understand why they don't either. It's a shameful that they still haven't been able to solve this problem. I remember reading in some magazine a good while back that the ECU can in some cars detect if the odometer has been altered. Then again, just as it is with computer viruses, someone will always find a way to get around whatever the latest protection against mileage 'correctors' (as some clocking companies like to call themselves) car companies have to offer.

As Suburban Autos Ltd, its not the fine; its the publicity from it that will do the trick. The fact that we're discussing this on this board is proof of it. The more negative publicity they get, the more they will pay financially, as people won't want to deal with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

kbannon wrote:
    So why did you buy it?
    Dodgy practices exist because people allow them to. I know our consumer legislation is weak especially when it comes to cars but even if we had the best protection it does not remove the onus on the buyer to make sure that they don't buy a lemon!

I discovered more about the history of the car after I bought it. It was not information which was available prior to the purchase. They also pulled a stroke with the guarantee. The best form of consumer protection is reputation. I am simply mentioning my difficulties with this firm to warn others.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On the subject of other dodgy dealers.
    Wasn't there a car dealer somewhere done recently for tax evasion or money laundering ?
    I can't find the newspaper it was in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

That was a dealership in Tallaght Rathfarnham. The owner got involved with a criminal.

His name was James Naylor.

http://news.google.ie/news?hl=en&ned=en_ie&ie=UTF-8&q=james+naylor+car+dealer&filter=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Suburban Car Sa

Just to state suburban car sales ltd is a completly different company to suburban auto`s we are located on mountplesant ave rathmines. We are completly seperately owned fron suburban autos who trade in Harolds cross.This was stated in the Irish Indepdent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Just to state suburban car sales ltd is a completly different company to suburban auto`s we are located on mountplesant ave rathmines. We are completly seperately owned fron suburban autos who trade in Harolds cross.This was stated in the Irish Indepdent.
    That's interesting because I was passing by your premises yesterday and remarked on the newspaper article. I was under the impression that the two garages were owned by the same person. Thanks for clearing that up.

Suburban Autos also have premises in Rathmines though? The one by the roundabout with the church in the middle.

Advertisement