Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baffled

• 04-10-2006 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

How can my computer say that I am not connected to my 'Wireless network connection", my wireless card is inactive('no association with access point'), Network Connection Panel shows all as disconnected, and yet I can access the web, email, Skype etc?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Pikasso

Ha! I see you're all baffled also! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Any chance you have 2 wifi cards. One built in and one plug in.

Go to command prompt and type ipconfig

It should give you the ip addresses of the active connection and the name of it.

Thanks for the reply. Here's what I get shown below. I have nothing plugged into the ethernet socket and I'm almost postive the laptop did not come with a wireless card, that's why I went out and bought one that plugs into the side. Any ideas?

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.33
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Well you are certainly connected using an wireless connection.

But which one.? Can you unplug the one you bought and then run ipconfig again.

If it does not list any wireless connection then it is the one you plugged in that is working.

If it still lists one, and you still have an internet connection, then you have a second wireless adapter.

The third thing could be which driver has control over the wireless card. Windows comes with it's own called Zero configuration utility but many wireless cards come with their own utilities. In some cases both can load up and the one that does not have control can report " No Wireless Connection".

Usually the XP utility looks just like a Computer with Radio waves coming out of it.

Either way, you do have a wireless connection there and it is active.

Many thanks for your help, Shane. I unplugged my wireless card plugged into the side of the computer and all internet connection failed. So it was that card.
    You were right about windows controlling it so I switched it off. Everything fine now with Linksys back in control of its own card.
    ...it's all beginning to make sense now! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement