Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jay Tabb

• 04-10-2006 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

Just read that he might get a call up due to injuries.

Anyone know much about him? I read somehwere that he's recently begun getting starts for Coventry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

gosplan wrote:
    I read somehwere that he's recently begun getting starts for Coventry.
    That makes it sounds like he's only after breaking through the ranks. :) Tabb has been around a few years now. I think he started off at Brentford up front and mainly played up front for Ireland U21s but he's now a winger and can play either side. He was Brentford's best player during his time there and is still actually elible for the U21s.

His wiki profile is detailed:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Tabb

Have a look at this thread:
    http://www.griffinpark.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44357

btw - he has been called up, not "might", and was also in the squad for the Chile game. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I claim ignorance as I was in China for the Chile game....which from what I heard was probably better then being here.

Haven't seen much of the under 21's, saw from wikipedia that he can play either side or through the middle but has anyone watched him much?

I guess my question is whether he is a useful midfielder or something special a la doyle/keane/duff?

Is he tricky, strong or just run your socks off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So has no-one seen him play?

Anyone go to the under 21 games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I know the name, never seen him play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He's a small and nippy winger. Would give the team some nice width if chosen, though Duff and McGeady are fit so doubt he'll get a look in. Has been playin very well though.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote:
    So has no-one seen him play?

Anyone go to the under 21 games?
    I've seen quite a bit of him. He's a skillful player but not a showboat and would usually take the correct option. A player I can compare him to is Shaun Maloney but maybe someone else could name a better known player to compare him to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

I was at the Switzerland U-21 game, he was playing up front, and he reminded me of a Paul Dickov/David Connolly type of player, small agressive with good close control, and willing to make a nuisance of himself to win the ball.
    He say little of the ball that night, but when he did have the ball, he tried to make good use of it. I haven't heard much about him since he moved to Coventry though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

eirebhoy wrote:
    He was Brentford's best player during his time there and is still actually elible for the U21s.

His wiki profile is detailed:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Tabb

umm, maybe i am not aware of something, but how can someone who is 22, still be eligible for the Under 21's ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Qualification for an underage (i.e. not senior) side is based on your age at the start of a qualification series, so you could be 21 when the first qualification game kicks off, turn 22 before the last game and still be eligible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

umm, maybe i am not aware of something, but how can someone who is 22, still be eligible for the Under 21's ? :)

Tabb was born in February of 1984. If you are 21 at the beginning of qualifiers then you are eligible for under 21 football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Qualification for an underage (i.e. not senior) side is based on your age at the start of a qualification series, so you could be 21 when the first qualification game kicks off, turn 22 before the last game and still be eligible
    Xavi6 wrote:
    Tabb was born in February of 1984. If you are 21 at the beginning of qualifiers then you are eligible for under 21 football.

Deadly, thanks :D

UEFA/FIFA don't distinguish between months of birth for eligibility. Once you were born in 1984 or after you're eligible for the current U21s. It doesn't matter if that's 1st January or 31st December. :)

Advertisement