Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much hot water do i have and how hot is it?

Options
  • 04-10-2006 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I have a large domestic hot water cyliner 80 gallon i think (approx 2 feet dia. and approx. 5 feet high).

The heating system is oil with a condensing boiler.

I have the house zoned with the cylinder on a seperate zone.

So timing the heating of the cylinder or turning on or off the hot water is no problem.

But what i want to know is there any device that i can attach to the cylinder which would give me a reading of how much hot water i have and what temperature it is at?

Surely there is a more scientific way of checking rather than putting your hand on the tank to see if uts hot?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

I have a large domestic hot water cyliner 80 gallon i think (approx 2 feet dia. and approx. 5 feet high).

The heating system is oil with a condensing boiler.

I have the house zoned with the cylinder on a seperate zone.

So timing the heating of the cylinder or turning on or off the hot water is no problem.

But what i want to know is there any device that i can attach to the cylinder which would give me a reading of how much hot water i have tough to do as it will depend on usage as the cold water replaces the hot water from the bottomand what temperature it is at?a cylinder stat will give u that answer, however you can judge it by the temp the burneer is set at as it will cut out once the water is at the temp in the heating coil to the cylinder.

Surely there is a more scientific way of checking rather than putting your hand on the tank to see if uts hot?!

how is the cylinder insulated?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

its an insulated foam. tank came with insulation already on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Your HWC should have a thermostat strapped to it (as ircoha says) if it's on a seperate zone. Just twiddle the knob on the stat and listen for the click - that will give you a good idea of the approximate temperature.

With regards to the temperature, I reckon the best you'll get is an average value. Your coil insert may not be near the bottom of the cylinder so the water at the bottom may not get much heat at all.

Advertisement