Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst item shop has ever sold you?

Options
  • 04-10-2006 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

I bought an Mp3/Video player the last day from Maplins.

Got home, opened it. Was scratched all over the metal - looked like long term pocket wear - nothing was in its wrapping, the player was already full of songs and photos and the screen was scratched all over from pocket wear.

Everyone makes a mistake but the guy looked at it in front of me and said "yep thats perfect" and handed it to me. I didn't pay much attention at the time as I was in a hurry. Did he think I wasn't gonna notice when I got home that my supposedly brand new player was in dreadful second hand condition?

Quite annoying. So whats the worst thing the shops ever sold you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

bring it back so. they have a 14 day return policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Can't complain really. I've always gotten what I've paid for.

The only time I can think of that I had to bring something back was years ago. Bought a portable JVC Cd/Casette/radio player. This is going back alot of years.

The volume control was a little knob that you could turn, but if you used the remote it turned for you. Pretty cool at the time, but of course the little motor went after the first day (extensive "testing" may have been to blame...).

So we took it back, got a new one. Still have it. Still the best sounding unit I've come across, and it's a long time since they stopped making them. More's the pitty.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Last bad purchase was another Lynx deoderant "Superdry Africa" with a faulty cap/noozle. Second deo in six months I bought that won't spray.
    Will bring it back to shop and start buying another brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

My mother bought it, but a bag of "Treat sized" Time Outs half of which were just wrappers which were full of air (sealed) and no chocolate. Of course we were recompensed by Cadbury's.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved to consumer issues with redirect. Mods: Feel free to bounce back, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

My mother bought it, but a bag of "Treat sized" Time Outs half of which were just wrappers which were full of air (sealed) and no chocolate. Of course we were recompensed by Cadbury's.
    Something like that happened to me some years ago. I got a dodgy bar of Cadbury's dairy milk, ate it of course but then decided I didn't like it.

I got the wrapper along with a hand written letter of complaint telling them how dismayed I was by the quality of my bar. I told them that I probably would probably start buying Yorkie bars instead. Two weeks later I got a huge package in the mail full of a selection of really nice chocolate bars.

I was in choc heaven for a week or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Got a packet of cheap Rice Krispies once in Tescos. Think they were called Krisp Ricies, but they didn't snap crackle or pop. Brought them back to Tesco's the next day to complain. Manager told me to "Get the fcuk out of here, what do you expect for 27p"
    Shoddy Management.Shoddy Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

dSTAR wrote:
    Something like that happened to me some years ago. I got a dodgy bar of Cadbury's dairy milk, ate it of course but then decided I didn't like it.

I got the wrapper along with a hand written letter of complaint telling them how dismayed I was by the quality of my bar. I told them that I probably would probably start buying Yorkie bars instead. Two weeks later I got a huge package in the mail full of a selection of really nice chocolate bars.

I was in choc heaven for a week or so...

That happened to me as well, they sent a cardboard box full of chocolate, it was great. They always do that. Which reminds me, actually, of another bad thing I bought (or that my parents bought but: A bag of frozen peas from Superquinn, which turned out to be about 10% caterpillars. Feargal Quinn himself sent me all of Tom McCochrane's books (I was 10) as an apology.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If any one ever sold me thisthen I think that would be the worst thing I've been ever sold!

I did by a phone which I thought was first hand but it turned out it wasnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yep, I once bought a phone that turned out to be pre-owned. I found out when there were voice messages left for 'Mary' and a number of entries in the address book!!

I was also sold a pair of shoes in a shop only to discover when I got home that there were two left shoes in the box!! I wasn't happy that day!

PC World did try to sell me an extended warranty on a product but I'm not that stupid ;):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

r3nu4l wrote:
    PC World did try to sell me an extended warranty on a product but I'm not that stupid ;):p

I got a guy hassale me for ten mins to get that on a laptop, he said he was doing me a favour because the screens always broke on this particular type of laptop. Hmmm, why would they want to sell me a warranty on it then.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sometimes the warranty can be worthwhile. My daughter bought a camera in PC World, it got damaged by being dropped, the damaged camera was sent off for repair, didn't come back within 6 weeks as promised so it was to be replaced. By that time the camera was discontinued so she was able to upgrade for only a few euros. I dont usually go for the warranty, but I did for my laptop as they are not as easily repairable as pcs and there's a greater chance of losing it/having it thieved.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Compustore (remember those complete fools) sold me an empty cardboard box.

It was sold to me for the guts of 50 euro, because it was supposed to have a firewire card inside it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

r3nu4l wrote:
    Yep, I once bought a phone that turned out to be pre-owned. I found out when there were voice messages left for 'Mary' and a number of entries in the address book!!

I was also sold a pair of shoes in a shop only to discover when I got home that there were two left shoes in the box!! I wasn't happy that day!

PC World did try to sell me an extended warranty on a product but I'm not that stupid ;)
    :p

I don't normally go for them but had one a few years ago on a Compaq Presario and the warranty paid for itself. I lost count the number of times something had to be replaced in the machine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Red Alert wrote:
    Compustore (remember those complete fools) sold me an empty cardboard box.

It was sold to me for the guts of 50 euro, because it was supposed to have a firewire card inside it!

lol, did u get it sorted out alright?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

yeah! although can you imagine going into the shop saying 'you sold me an empty box'. look on their faces was priceless!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Red Alert wrote:
    yeah! although can you imagine going into the shop saying 'you sold me an empty box'. look on their faces was priceless!

This happened to me aswell, I bought MGS 3 in HMV for forty odd euros one day, shrink wrapped and all. I then brought it home and upon opening the box, found that it contained nothing but the playing manual. Forthy euro for a box and a few pieces of paper!

I got it sorted without any questions which I found a little surprising.

Advertisement