Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Logbook tells the truth

Options
  • 04-10-2006 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Spotted this on Unison . Its a step in the right direction, but the fine is low imo, but they were named and shamed which counts for more in my book...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Care to post the article? Have to log in to view

BTW, your sig... are you clonboo tyres? Got a good deal there a few months ago, will be back when i've burned the current ones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Forgot about the login...
    Ahh no I'm not Cloonboo Tyres, just plugging a friend...Francis does a good deal on tyres alright...:) I've saved a good few squid with him...
    A CAREFULLY filled-in logbook left in a glove compartment proved the undoing for a dealer who had just sold a "clocked" car, a court heard yesterday.

The car's milometer had been tampered with to indicate it had only 47,000 miles, whereas the real figure was over 75,000 miles.

Suburban Autos Ltd, Mount Pleasant Avenue, Rathmines, Dublin 6, pleaded guilty to selling a vehicle with a false trade description in May 2004. The company was fined €400 with €1,100 costs and witness expenses.

Dublin District Court heard a customer who had just bought the car found the logbook in the glove compartment.

The book stated it had a service at 75,000 miles - but the clock read just 47,000.

He took the car back and was immediately refunded his money.

But he also contacted the Director of Consumer Affairs (DCA) who carried out its own investigation and had seven witnesses organised to give evidence in the case.

Judge Hugh O'Donnell refused a request for €3,000 in legal costs after a request from the defence to measure them.

He ordered a contribution of €750 be made towards the DCA's costs with another €350 in witness expenses.

DCA director Ann Fitzgerald said she was pleased with the conviction and had set up a task force to examine the issue of car clocking and consider ways it could be routed out.

"Any car dealer who may consider defrauding the consumer in this manner runs the risk of being brought before the courts and dealt with appropriately," she said.

Suburban Autos was lucky it only had to pay out €1,500 as the maximum fine for the offence has since been increased to €3,000, Ms Fitzgerald said.

She urged consumers to contact her office if they suspect clocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A fine of just €400? :mad:

Didn't another scumbag dealer get a jail sentence for clocking?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's like fining uninsured drivers an amount that's less than the premium, it's far cheaper to wait until you are caught.

If the maximum fine you have to pay on your first offence is less than the amount you can make on one car, than of course people will do it. And by people I mean second hand car dealers.

I can remember going to look at a car there about a decade ago so they have had a few years to squirrel a few quid, do they still have ads in buy and sell all the time, how much is the site worth in Rathmines to a developer ?

As for the fine they spent over seven times that on legal fees.
    €400 for when the consumers rights are voilated :mad:
    On the other hand if a consumer was to bring a camera phone into the cinema the fine can be as much as €127,000.

Even a €3,000 fine is less than you could make by clocking one car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I think the fine is pocket change. More to the point if their lisc. to trade was renaged for a few months.

Also I think the Tax book recording authority could assist a lot in this by requesting the mileage is recorded with change of ownership, not simply written in the the book, but filed in the database along with all the other details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

AMurphy wrote:
    I think the fine is pocket change. More to the point if their lisc. to trade was renaged for a few months.

Also I think the Tax book recording authority could assist a lot in this by requesting the mileage is recorded with change of ownership, not simply written in the the book, but filed in the database along with all the other details.

I agree.
    Mileage details should be reigistered when change of ownership happens.

Along with NCT records, the more places mileage is registered the better.

AND fines should be much much higher!!

Advertisement