Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Some b*****d crashed into my parked car.

Options
  • 04-10-2006 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭

I woke up this morning and my car had it's passenger door smashed into by someone, probably one of my neighbours but I have no way of knowing which one.

I only have third party insurance with Quinn Direct. Does the Motor insurers Bureau cover my costs if I don't know who the other driver was?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yes but you have to report it to the gardai and ask them about the insurance etc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

I'd have a good look at your neighbour's cars this evening for signs of damage. Who knows, they may even come to you and confess, might not have had time in the morning to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Akrasia wrote:
    Does the Motor insurers Bureau cover my costs if I don't know who the other driver was?

AFAIK, the MIB will only cover personal injury claims. You could ask around your neighbours (ask whether they saw anything). You never know, the person who did it may not even have noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

A lot of my neighbours have old battered cars so inspecting them for damage is a non runner.
    A lot of them are foreign and it's hard to tell who even lives in some of the houses there are so many people coming and going all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You'll probably just have to forget about it so. How old is your car? How bad is the damage? Is the paint broken? If it's just a dent and the paint's not broken then the likes of DentMaster may be able to fix it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

In order for the mibi to cover it,you need a reg number for the "hit and run" car.Ive been looking into it for a mate recently.

As crap as it is the repair bill will probably be on yourself unfortunatly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Anan1 wrote:
    AFAIK, the MIB will only cover personal injury claims.

MIBI will cover both personal claims, and claims for damage to your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ah well.

The paint doesn't seem to be too bad. but i can't afford to get it fixed.

I can barely afford the car loan, and now i probably have negative equity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

The MIBI cannot cover untraced hit and run car damage under any circumstances. If they did, they would be inundated with false claims. (everyone who has damaged their cars themselves could tell the MIBI it was a hit and run and then send them the bill).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

If you think it was one of your neighbours check to see what colour the paint is and then have a looksie around to see if anyone has your paint on their car.

Youn may get lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

FrCrilly wrote:
    The MIBI cannot cover untraced hit and run car damage under any circumstances.

I think you are right on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Same thing happened my car, luckily enough the person left a note with their name & number, all depends on how honest a person is really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Bad luck.

Report it to the Gardai anyway (criminal damage?); someone may have seen it happen, not known who your car belonged to, and reported it. May sound farfetched, but you could be lucky.

At least I hope you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Happened me recently. Flyered the neighbours houses to see if anyone saw it.

Couple of people came forward. Got the guy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ballooba wrote:
    Happened me recently. Flyered the neighbours houses to see if anyone saw it.

Couple of people came forward. Got the guy.

nice one. was he a neighbour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 travellerI

Someone crashed into my parked car on tuesday morning. Passenger side of the car is scratched and discoloured along the side. Got a quote of Euro 1200 for repair.

The person who crashed into the car did not stop but 2 eagle eyed neighbours got his licence plate details. Have made a report to guards and my insurance company. I am now waiting for guards to get back to me.

I have never had damage done to my car before and in these crap times something like this can be really upsetting and knock you back financially. I only hope that the guards trace this guy and that he is insured and that I dont have to pursue him legally, or maybe the guards will do that on my behalf.

Anyway this may not contribute to the sum total of knowledge on this subject bu at least I got it off my chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭jaxy999

Bad luck, something similar happened me recently but luckily the person who crashed into my car called the Garda. There are not too many honest people like that out there these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Same thing happened to me a while back, bumper, wing and door needed work and re-spray. BMW Murphy and Gunne in Rathgar (Kelvin) took care of it for €600, great price and top notch work.

PS Not affiliated in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I hope you get satisfaction OP.

Somebody reversed into my car a few weeks ago. I got the reg and so did a witness. The car itself were false plates so Im left with a damaged passenger side rear door. €250 to fix because its that plasticy type Audi material they build the cars with. I still cannot afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Bumping a 2yo thread is silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

2 years? Jesus, I remember when the thread was created :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

antodeco wrote: »
    2 years? Jesus, I remember when the thread was created :(

Huh, cant believe I missed that. All those wasted minutes typing. Look Im still at it! :D

Advertisement