Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon pains

Options
  • 04-10-2006 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi Guys n gals, Ive been training for the marathon last 2 months or so, but as the miles have increased so to has the pain but the soles of my feet are a killer after my long runs, done 5 mile monday and yesterday but pain from last wedensdays long run is back already. Ive soaked in baths, foot spa and rested.Had planned my 18 mile today but as i set out the pain kicked in immediately so i decided i would postpone till tomorrow. Has anyone any tips how i can reduce the pain, seems worse in my left foot. Ive heard it could be bruised bone/muscle, so im taking ibuprofen in the hope i can run in later this evening but will prob be tomorrow. Also, not my runners as bought new ones weeks back and there extra gel insoles or something like that, nice and comfortable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I'm not medically qualified so my first suggestion would be to go see a physio, its's 3 1/2 weeks to the marathon.

Second would be not to take ibuprofen. If you mask the pain in order to run you're just asking to make things worse.

Thirdly, what is your footstrike like? If you're running on tarmac is loud? A lot of beginners slap their forfoot down after landing on their heels. That's a lot of impact over a lot of footfalls. Maybe get someone (that physio again?) to watch you run and see what they think. No amount of cushioning in your shoes is going to stop you hurting your feet if you're slamming them down.

Fourthly, how fast are you running? If a 5 mile run reignited the pains from your long run then you need more than a day off. Or you're running too fast, on crappy surfaces (concrete==the devil), or you've poor biomechanics. Or maybe you've just hurt something and you're not giving it time to recover. Go see a physio :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Just want to say, I have to agree, go see a physio. They'll help you in lots of different ways.

J.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you need to see a physio, it sounds like plantar facitis, to be honest if thats what it is you are out.
    I had it before and it took 2-3 months to recover, it can take some people up to a year.
    The plantar runs along the sole of your foot and can get bruised/strained and start coming away from the bone, it can lead to bone spurs where the gap comes, which leads to
    operations.
    rest, ice, and foot splints at night can help, but get to a physio to find out whats wrong first, are your feet sore in the mornings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

I'd Agree with all the above go see a physio to get it worked on properly.

Not sure if it's plantar fasciitis because with plantar fasciitis the pain is often acute either first thing in the morning or after a long rest, because while resting the plantar fascia contracts back to its original shape. As the day progresses and the plantar fascia continues to be stretched, the pain often subsides. It's more likely to cause you a problem first thing in the morning while the plantar fascia has been rested, it is usually painful to put your hell on the ground.

For this reason you need to go see someone about it as they will take proper details and work out what it is as oppossed to us guessing on limited information.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'd Agree with all the above go see a physio to get it worked on properly.

Not sure if it's plantar fasciitis because with plantar fasciitis the pain is often acute either first thing in the morning or after a long rest, because while resting the plantar fascia contracts back to its original shape. As the day progresses and the plantar fascia continues to be stretched, the pain often subsides. It's more likely to cause you a problem first thing in the morning while the plantar fascia has been rested, it is usually painful to put your hell on the ground.

For this reason you need to go see someone about it as they will take proper details and work out what it is as oppossed to us guessing on limited information.

agreed, thats why I was asking were the feet sore in the morning, it's really impossible to tell without knowing more, and physio is needed one way or another...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 FootFax

Firstly see a physio (make sure they are chartered)....NOW.

Secondly, answer these questions:

1. Where exactly do you get the pain?
    2. When exactly do you get it?
    3. At what point in your training did you get it (Did you up milage/change ground/speed/distance etc?

Answers to these will help me send you in the right direction. However you can't make a a diagnosis or a prognosis on a forum so be prepared to get help. This kind of problem can not be solved with just a pill.

Best of Luck.

Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭captainmustard

Hi all,

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was feeling cr** yesterday cos i didnt go for the long one, was thinkin i may have to pack it in training. Said to myself i'd give it a try again tomorrow (after a nice rest) and due to the fact i got Scholl pads for ball of you feet. They wrap around your toe so was thinking they'd stay on. Done an 18.5 mile run earlier (thought it was 19.5 when running it, miles mixed up but felt i could have went further but at the time was happy with the distances and was pasing the house) and 20 min soak in bath of freezing water. Sole on the left foot does feel sorer than the right but it was sorer than the right before i went out.That was the longest ive ever run and all in all im confident im back on track. I will go see a physio as it has been recommended by all and it'll be nice to hear what she thinks. One just up the road from me and by all accounts is very good, lots of football clubs etc use her. Have to say im delighted with the scholl pads and will be using on the day.Had 2 on each foot for double protection, this run was make or break for me really but i reckon all should be ok. Should have had this run at the w'end and not sure now if i should do another as ive read its not wise as its getting close. But i'd like to clock over 20-21 before the day but if i didnt i reckon i'd be ok after todays run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭captainmustard

To answer few q's: quozl, was thinking of your comments on way round today. Not even sure what if i do slap my foot down but generally i dont think i land on my heels but i did notice i was landing hard on occasions and changed. I ran two 8x5 minute miles but was running them faster as only small distances, maybe i should just run normal which is about 8.30-9.00 i reckon.

I dont think its that plantar facitis but i was worried reading it. No pain in my heels at all, just muscle area at the bottom of the toes, seems sorer in the middle where 2 muscles each side meet.

I get it mostly when i first get up off seat, worse when no runners on, so tend to leave the runners on. I'd be thinking its normal pains for all this kinda thing but fact that left is a good bit sorer than the right got me worried.

After today, i think its 2/3 phscological as wasnt up for it yesterday but armed with scholl pads, my energy gels/bar (first time to use them today, found gel unpleasant but once mixed with water it goes down grand, took the bar 50 mins before run) and fact this run was suppose to be done days ago i was determined. Wouldnt it be so bad if anyone felt not up for it on the day, probably doesnt happen as its all build up to that day but would be horrible if anyone did. Wish everyone running all the best and ive really come to realise what an achievment this will be if we do manage to pull it off. Thanks once again for all your replies.

Advertisement