Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children ages 10 to 12 -- social issues

Options
  • 04-10-2006 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hey there,
    I'm doing a project for college, in which we have to create a 45-60sec commercial intended for an audience of 10 to 12 year olds in which we have to educate them on one social issue.

So i just want to know what kind of things do parents worry about............for children in that age group and also what kind of social issues would you like your child to be more educated on?
    Any responses would be a great help thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

Ok my big social issues for my 9 year old are, bullying (no surprises there) and social exclusion, you know when child tell each other that they cannot play for xyz reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Barcode

Thank you I really appreciate the reply.

I have asked a few mothers that I know with 10 to 12 year old children and body acceptance also seems to be an issue with kids now.
    Do you think having a positive body image is something kids should be educated on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I think showing them that people come in all different shapes and sizes and as long as you are fit and healthy that is what counts not being a stick insect like what is promoted in fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

I think the biggest problem they face is consumerism which plays into the bod image stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

How about:
    Divorce/seperation?
    Adoption?
    Refugees/non-nationals..and integrating with their children, inside and outside the classroom?
    Cosmetic surgery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I have a daughter of 11 and agree with the others about body image. Its a huge thing for her, she's very worried about how she looks, is she putting on weight etc.
    Most of this is peer pressure, they all have to 'look' the same.
    I also worry about bullying, not just from other kids but also from teachers!

Advertisement