Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there anything else i need?

Options
  • 04-10-2006 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

like a lot of posters here i'm looking to start into home recording.

i'm aware theres hundreds of various possibilites with software ect.

i plan to use my laptop. i'd love to use a mac but the dough isnt there at the mo.

i like the look of this usb interface

http://www.thomann.de/ie/line6_toneport_ux2.htm

i have elecric drums, mics and all the rest. my main problem is that im not sure what to use in the software department.

theres so many options. i want to be able to record and mix myself and my band with relative ease with good quality results.

what programme should i use for this?

sorry if this is a clone of another thread.

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

The Toneport is very nice. However I would recommend buying the UX1 and the Pod XT update pack which would cost you the same as the UX2, unless of course you need two inputs.

Program wise there are some good free alternatives out there, Kristal for one. However for ease of use and good quality results on a budget I cant recommend Cubase SE enough. Can usually be gotten cheaper on Ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

was set on cubase until i heard of all the alternatives here.

how would that hold up on my laptop (athlon 64)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

You wont have a problem running any sequencer with a 64 bit Athlon.

With regards to Kristal, its probably the best freeware sequencer available but it doesnt natively support VSTi's (virtual studio instruments) and you can only run a very limited amount of VST's (effect plugins) at the same time. I dont find it as intuitive as Cubase either. There should be a demo of Cubase online so which I wholeheartedly recommend you try out.

I forgot to mention that you actually get a sequencer with your Toneport, its a special edition of Ableton Live Lite. Ive never tried it so I cant tell you what its like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

http://www.reaper.fm/

Is another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I'd suggest going with Cubase as that way you are getting experienced on a program that will serve you from the bedroom studio to the high end pro set up. There are tonnes of plug ins, loads of of on line knowledge and you'll be compatible with tonnes of other studios/musicians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Cakewalk Sonar is another viable alternative.

Pro - generally regarded as being easier to use than cubase without compromising in features
    Con - user base more in US than Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

I have used the latest version of both for a long time and i would go for Cubase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I've used both too and would go for Sonar any day.

Diff'rent strokes...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I've said it before and I'll say it again: energyXT

Cubase SX is probably more powerful and easier to learn (although it would take anyone years to master Cubase) but I switched to XT after the guilt of using cracked software became too much ;) energyXT does almost everything Cubase/Sonar etc do and its only 39 quid. The learning curve is a little different but its a very cool little program. www.xt-hq.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

update:

got meself cubase :D

thanks peeps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

judas101 wrote:
    update:

got meself cubase :D

thanks peeps

Good man yourself!!

Advertisement