Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card upgrade

Options
  • 04-10-2006 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hey, recently the graphics card in my pc decided to give up the ghost it was an ATI Radeon 9800 pro, the pc itself is a Dell 2.6 ghz with 512mb of ram with windows xp pro so ive decided to upgrade the card and possiblly add more ram. The question is how much more RAM should I put in and what GPU should i get? My budget is about E300 and ideally this upgrade should future proof the computer for another couple of years so any sugesstions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

€300 in total or for just the graphics card ?

If in total get a 7600GS for €137 that should cover the graphics though bear in mind that is a mid-range solution it should still fair better than the 9800 pro though.

As for RAM you could get two of these Corsair 512MB modules for 1GB, they are programmed with lower latency timings in the SPD so no need to tweak any settings, total cost €164 - not a good idea to mix with the existing RAM however.

Or you could just get cheaper 1GB kit for €127.

Edit: Shop4memory has a "1Gb kit Low Latency PC3200 Dual Channel - Patriot" kit going for €127

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

You will need DDR2 in your Dell pc3200 will not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

His motherboard has an AGP slot (9800 Pro is the giveaway) so it couldn't be using DDR2 as no Intel chipset supports that combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

Thanks for the sugestions so far, if i was to spend most of my money on a graphics card and worry about getting more RAM later what would be the best card i could get at the moment? The priority is just to get it working at the moment really. I cant get the full specs of the machine until i get home tommorow so cant answer the question on wheter ite DDR2 or pc3200

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

A std. mobo in a Dell case ? must be a hybrid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

TonyM. wrote:
    You will need DDR2 in your Dell pc3200 will not work.

Only the - relatively speaking - newer dells use ddr2. Alot of older P4s use pc3200 or pc2700

edit: For a few extra euro then the 7600gs, literally a few extra euro, what about this? I'm pretty sure it would walk over the 7600GS...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

HavoK wrote:
    Only the - relatively speaking - newer dells use ddr2. Alot of older P4s use pc3200 or pc2700

edit: For a few extra euro then the 7600gs, literally a few extra euro, what about this? I'm pretty sure it would walk over the 7600GS...

The x1650xt does walk all over the 7600gs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

And not even 10 euro in the difference. :)

Advertisement