Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksilver and SMS Dialler function for Alarm

Options
  • 04-10-2006 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My Alarm installer wants to know if my Clicksilver Telephone package supports SMS dialler functionality so that my alarm can send my text messages when knackers are in my house breaking my stuff.

Rang Clicksilver but just got an idiot who keep putting me on hold to confer with multiple idiots in his vicinity. I know its prob. fine but I'd like someone to assure me that it does ? Alarm guy says that Chorus telephone package does not support this & I wouldn't be shocked if Eircom makes 3rd party providers lives a misery in providing this bet of extra functionality.

Thanks for any advice !

P.S. Can anyone comment - house is prewired for alarm theres wires dangling on landing and in hall - always thought that these were for two PIR units, friend got house done and noticed that one in hall was not a PIR but a buzzer to let you know alarm was going off [3 bed semi?] Anyone know whats standard - want to argue for two PIRs as part of original quote.......

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Raiser wrote:
    My Alarm installer wants to know if my Clicksilver Telephone package supports SMS dialler functionality so that my alarm can send my text messages when knackers are in my house breaking my stuff.

Rang Clicksilver but just got an idiot who keep putting me on hold to confer with multiple idiots in his vicinity. I know its prob. fine but I'd like someone to assure me that it does ? Alarm guy says that Chorus telephone package does not support this & I wouldn't be shocked if Eircom makes 3rd party providers lives a misery in providing this bet of extra functionality.
    Don't mention Alarms to any broadband supplier. Tney don't do alarms, and they won't take any responsibility for any problems that occur if your alarm doesn't get through to your security provider.

Just focus on SMS functionality - tell them you have an eircom phone that could send and receive SMS messages when it was on an eircom line, and you want to keep using that functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I know what you mean - I set it out very clearly for the guy. Said I want to know that if I had a telephone handset that was capable of sending SMS - would I be able to do just that.......

........No joy - he kept on saying ya, ya, I suppose you should be able to - shouldn't you ?????

I said FFS will you please just STFU :eek:

- No I didn't - am far more patient and polite, but christ I'd have gotten more info. if I'd asked my two year old nephew - who happens to own and use a plastic Fisher Price telephone.

So any boards folks want to venture an opinion ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Raiser wrote:
    Hi all,

P.S. Can anyone comment - house is prewired for alarm theres wires dangling on landing and in hall - always thought that these were for two PIR units, friend got house done and noticed that one in hall was not a PIR but a buzzer to let you know alarm was going off [3 bed semi?] Anyone know whats standard - want to argue for two PIRs as part of original quote.......

Cheers!

There should be an internal sounder too , idea being that it makes lads breaking in a bit more panicky or you can get smoke alarms that are linked to the house alarm so you get a text when you burn your toast

No ideas folks - looks like I'll have to either risk booking install or ringing UTV again so .......:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If things are still the same as when I left utv your best option would be to mail carl@u.tv - if he cannot help you nobody can (well in UTV anyways!)

• Advertisement

Hey Dub45 - mailed Carl as per your suggestion and he got back to me quickly with a detailed and comprehensive answer - Thanks for the help !

Hi XXXX,

We've currently got customers using the SMS feature - so yes, it is supported with our products, costing 10c per message.

One thing I know we've run into issues with is some Eircom branded handsets. These have the SMSC number hard-coded into them, and so only work with Eircom lines. Also some wireless routers don't seem to take into account the different geographic regions (again a hard-coded SMSC). I'd recommend you check that the SMSC number is something you can configure on the handset before you buy.

Can you also give me your account number (or username) and I'll try to confirm with our support guys that you shouldn't run into any issues with SMS.

Also, if you buy the hardware from a high-street shop you could get them to agree on a refund if it doesn't work - just in case! :)

Carl.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You are very welcome. Carl is a remarkable chap and UTV are very lucky to have him:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭pissed

I see you got your answer, sorry just seen this now but when I was a customer with UTV I was able to send sms on the line. Didnt ask them just tried it and it worked - then wondered about the cost so rang UTV ... and the guy I got couldnt tell me either :(

Advertisement