Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grime

Options
  • 04-10-2006 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭

What do you guys think? It is best described as deliberately poor quality rapping over bassy speed garage.

Think lady sovereign, shystie and Dizzie rasscal.
    Is there an Irish grime scene of any sort?

MM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Budd

No Irish scene. Theres never really been an Irish scence for anything like garage/2step/grime. Its just too London. Quite like a bit of grime myself but more into dubstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

yeah they have an incredible confidence in London; if they're doing it they know it's cool. I think it would suit Irish kids better than rapping and pretending to be American.

what is dubstep?

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Budd

Dubstep is the bastard child of 2step/grime slowed down but the rules are changing all the time. Check out Burials album and people like Loefah. Some of it is ****ing sweet, really nice vibe off it. Heavy basslines and crisp, ****ed up dub percussion. Its no wonder a lot of junglists and jumping aboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Love grime/dubstep. Hell I used even like 2step and UK garage :o

The likes of Wiley, Roll Deep, Dizee, even Oxide& Neutrino, great stuff, but so many other unknowns out there too....a lot of passion in the music that doesn't really come across in a lot of other electronic crossover genres.
    These guys' rapping beat the f*ck out of most of the stuff coming out of the US right now IMO.

There's not gonna be any Irish scene, at leats not for another decade or more....we're only now getting the real cultural diversity in terms of population. Give it time to blossom....don't forget reggae and roots came to London in the 50's and that this music now is a descendant of that and a hundred other culturl/racial/artistic influences...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

really really liking the dubstep!

as a dyed in the wool junglist it's really nice to hear that spacious rattling vibe coming back at a pace that's a bit more amenable to my elderly limbs...

and some of the basslines the likes of skream tempa loefah and shackleton are coming out with are absolutely dutty....

as for grime, it's much more of a london thing than dubstep, and i think the problem with scene based music like dubstep or grime or whatever is that the people who end up being into it outside the bunch of creative east london asbo heads who are making it aren't exactly the same demographic or from the same environment...

it's taken nearly twenty years for hip hop to start catching on here in a grass roots way ffs... but the fact that irish youth are pretty much starved of any kind of exposure to different musical cultures other than mtv, the likes of 98fm and the absolutely dire and negligent state broadcaster has really harmed irish music imo...

• Advertisement

yeah they have an incredible confidence in London; if they're doing it they know it's cool. I think it would suit Irish kids better than rapping and pretending to be American.

what is dubstep?

MM

mind you, i don't think that hip hop neccesarily implies acting american...

i think there's a growing realisation amongst irish hip hop people - even the young ones - that hip hop can be a mode of expression to talk about where you're from rather than just rehashing 50 cent fairytales...

there's also LOTS of EXCELLENT uk hip hop, most of which i rate a lot higher than the general standard of grime mc-ing....

although a lot of those grime crews are hilarious... grab a few cans and an eighth and get your hands on a few roll deep livesets:

Ghetto: "my girl's choong, your girl looks like wookie the dread. Ill give her a cookie for head and leave her lookin upset"

"I'm strapped, and I know killers that're hungry to buss gats, run up in your mum's like 'damn where's the funds at', ain't got none? then they'll kidnap your mum prat, put her on a corner and make her **** a hunchback"

demon: "pissed coz your girlfriend looks like tyson; mic check 1 2 sure the mic's on?"

that "eight bars of nastiness" over playstation music 2000 produced beats with twenty teenagers snatching the mic off each other and screaming the nastiest funniest stuff is to me the equivalent of hearing the original jungle mc's chatting on pirate radio back in the nineties, except the jungle crowd would never really have used bad language or talked about violence like that - it's all their little brothers and cousins and whatnots who have grown up completely beyond that whole nineties "rave" false e induced positivity and are just making the rhyme equivalent of slasher horror gangster music that is so interesting to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

lol @ rapping meaning you act American.:rolleyes:

Anyway I have a lot of time for Dizzee, he makes some brilliant music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

I think dizzee got alot of respect that rightfully belongs to the grime scene as a whole. Ears is better I think and No Lay rocks 'unawffadox' daughter.

Where do you get grime livesets in dublin?

be great to hear some creative west dublin asbo heads making music.

you'll LOVE this....

Roll Deep Entourage [Dizzee's old crew] performing on a pirate radio station on top of a london tower block... some dodgy little geezers running in and out of the place... it all gets quite heated and ends in a scrap...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n21v92e_q1A...ted&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjxvpRPNsSI...ted&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvDZU-nPxeg...ted&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqhnFMfnxkw

and YES!!!! to your comment about the creative west dublin asbo heads...

i remember a few years ago trying to do a not-quite-pisstake tune, i wanted to get an irish so solid crew [this was before they went REALLY downhill and they still had a shred of credibility] and do a cheesy video of all the lads in tracksuits hanging out in estates with horses and have the main hook of the tune being the irish national anthem played of a nokia mobile phone...

never finished doing it... we had all kinds of grand plans of finishing it and trying to get a lowkey cd single release and buying back all 500 copies it would have taken to get into the irish charts...

Advertisement