Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tipping hairdressers

• 04-10-2006 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

dunno where to put this post but i would love opinions on whether girls tip their hairdressers or not?? i find that forking out 50+ euro a haircut is enough but people like peter marks and toni guys seem to wait longingly for a hefty tip too and seem odd out about you waiting for change!!!! opinions wanted girls - do you tip - if so how much??

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

dunno where to put this post

Fashion & Appearance
    moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Personally, no I dont tip.
    The g/f works is a hairdresser (small enough salon) and she was very surprised by the amount of people that tipped when she started, its not something she expects however.
    Not sure how this stands at larger salons and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'm a bloke, and if I'm v happy with my haircut and get a nice bantering chat out of my barber (I enjoy a chat!), I'd tip them.
    Then again, it wouldn't be much since a blokes snip is much cheaper (thank feck for being a bloke!), but they still appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm a bloke too and though I do my hair myself now when I did use barbers I always tipped .... i do like people touching my head though so it was more to do with that than good service.

Besids alot of the hairdressers are on bad money despite the places charging loads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I'm really glad someone has posted a thread on this. I get my hair done at Cats near the Westbury Mall and for a full set of highlights and a cut it costs me €200. I'm always a bit confused as to whether or not I should tip and if so how much:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭DeiseGal

Personally, if i was going to be returning to the salon then i normally tip a fiver, if not then forget it.
    Its very hard to find a real good hairdresser that gives you exactly what you want so when you find a place that you like i reckon the fiver tip is worth it to keep them happy :D

kizzyr wrote:
    I'm really glad someone has posted a thread on this. I get my hair done at Cats near the Westbury Mall and for a full set of highlights and a cut it costs me €200. I'm always a bit confused as to whether or not I should tip and if so how much:confused:

Just seen this post - nope in your case i think its ok not to leave a tip - i mean 200€ - madness!
    Mine normally costs me 110€ - medium length hair - whole head highlights and a cut.

DeiseGal wrote:
    Just seen this post - nope in your case i think its ok not to leave a tip - i mean 200€ - madness!
    Mine normally costs me 110€ - medium length hair - whole head highlights and a cut.
    [RIGHT[/RIGHT]

Where do you go to get yours done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Busterpuss

try zeba on the street behind brown thomas or in maynooth. mine costs me 140 for cut, colour blow dry. always tip a fiver. dont know how much for highlights but might be worth checkin out

Get mine done in waterford so its bound to be cheaper then dublin prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Busterpuss wrote:
    try zeba on the street behind brown thomas or in maynooth. mine costs me 140 for cut, colour blow dry. always tip a fiver. dont know how much for highlights but might be worth checkin out

€60 in peter mark for colour, cut and blowdry..

also mine usually costs about €35 and i give €40, its definetly not expected and i get a grateful thanks!! and yes that is in peter marks!

Busterpuss wrote:
    Zeba are just as expensive. My friend goes there for highlights and a cut and it costs her in the region of €200 also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

but who do you give the tip to? the person who washes your hair? the person who cuts it?

the person who washes it is usually on pretty bad money. but id feel weird seeking them out to give them money. & then id feel id have to give the person who cut the hair a tip.. its all very confusing.. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

I usually get cut highlights and blowdry in Zeba on South William Street and it has never cost me more than €140. I usually tip a fiver as well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

jasus, I'm always at the gf about tipping..
    she got a half head done there last week, cost her €150 euro and she tipped €20, 10 for the girl who wash it and 10 for the girl who cut it.. shes even given one girl 30tip before, ****in madness im like what the ****.. she tips everyone like, someone delivery food that would be 10.50 she'd give him 15 an let him keep it, same goes in the pub, drink cost 3.5 give a fiver an not want it back. she's bleedin mad I do take the money off her for the food an don't tip them that much or would only tip someone for a drink once or twice not every drink.. but then again she works in a restuarant an gets some nice tips every night€100+ so maybe thats why her generousity comes from but most people tip in retuarants regardless and for the service..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

kizzyr wrote:

when you are handing over the money give €50 and say that is for that hair and then €150 and say that's the tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Busterpuss

sar84 wrote:
    but who do you give the tip to? the person who washes your hair? the person who cuts it?

the person who washes it is usually on pretty bad money. but id feel weird seeking them out to give them money. & then id feel id have to give the person who cut the hair a tip.. its all very confusing.. :confused:

i give it to the girl at the desk when i am paying. let them fight it out after that i guess:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I usually give 10% to my hairdresser, beautician, waxer (?) etc but I give it to them into their hand not at the till.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nearly all of the people that my wife does are long term clients who come only to her. You get to know people (and what they want) after a while and I guess it's natural that they tip from appreciation I suppose.

Speaking as a bloke, anybody who can find 150+ to spend on a hairstyle may as well push out the boat an extra fiver :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Winnie001

I never tip hairdresser. I pay enough as it is without tipping.
    Sure, they arent on amazing money but its their career choice.
    I have been going to the same girl for 5 years & she has never acted differently towards me because I don't tip.

I know some people who will give a decent tip at xmas to make up for the rest of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Winnie001 wrote:
    Sure, they arent on amazing money but its their career choice.

You'd be surprised (I was) but a lot of senior/head stylists are on a percentage commission of what they make so they can make a decent if they have a lot of clients and it's a expensive salon. I agree that its not the case for a lot of hairdressers though.
    Winnie001 wrote:
    I have been going to the same girl for 5 years & she has never acted differently towards me because I don't tip.

Not to your face anyway :D

sar84 wrote:
    That has caused me a lot of confusion in the past. Now the same girl does the whole lot which makes things much easier. I say easier but still expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I get my hair done every month or so,a wash cut and blow dry straight
    my hairdresser is lovely and we have a chat,it costs about 30 quid and it looks fantastic
    I always tip a few euro,it's just something I've always done
    it's not something I even think about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I tip €5 to my hairdresser and €2-3 to the person who washes my hair everytime that I get it done, am only in the hairdressers 2-4 times a year (have long hair which is far easier to look after). If the service was bad I would complain but have been going to the same place for years and they have always been great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

I go to Peter mark in Naas 25 for a treatment and about 35 for a cut so I dont tip 30 quid is more than enough to be paying for someone to trim an inch off my hair

reading this thread has helped me make up my mind about highlights! the price of them id never afford 200 every time they needed to be done!

Advertisement