Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrib Light Rail, Luas for Galway?

Options
  • 04-10-2006 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Just from this entry in wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrib_Light_Rail

Is this a serious project? Can Galway afford 140 million euro plus running costs etc on a light rail system to serve a relatively small area? Are the routes right, it looks as though Knocknacarra was added as an after-thought.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sounds like a good idea. May help relieve the traffic madness on the weekends if you could go by rail from the outer areas to shop etc.

Hey, I never knew it was called Ceannt station.

Google: http://www.labour.ie/michaeldhiggins/news/20060517184543.html

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

Is this a serious project?

It's only an independent plan - Considering the current traffic problems in Galway it is a good idea in principle I think but it needs a lot more research & development.

See http://www.sin.nuigalway.ie/boards/viewtopic.php?t=12801&view=previous&sid=6402a279f405d12b2e1b895e4030630d for more discussion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

€140m for the 100,000 people in the entire catchment is emmm emmmm uhmmmnnnnn

€14,000 per person .

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

but what about the c. 900,000 overseas tourists and 1.2million Irish visitors to Galway every year??

add them to your equation and that would make the cost seem more reasonable

source: http://www.failteireland.ie/tourism_product_marketing_plans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

dannyd20 wrote:
    but what about the c. 900,000 overseas tourists and 1.2million Irish visitors to Galway every year??

add them to your equation and that would make the cost seem more reasonable

source: http://www.failteireland.ie/tourism_product_marketing_plans

But why would tourists need to use it? Everywhere in Galway is in easy walking distance, unless there's hidden attractions of Knocknacarra?

I think it's a good plan, but I can't see how the figures add up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Great idea, but see that image of the bridge over the river Corrib? NEVER going to happen im afraid to say! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

looks an excellent idea, but a spur to past claregalway should be a priority.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JohnCleary wrote:
    Great idea, but see that image of the bridge over the river Corrib? NEVER going to happen im afraid to say! :D
    Ah there'd be less objection from our quarters to a rail bridge, it was the thought of overhead knackers on a foot bridge that was the problem before. You'd never convince the college. No sirree bob.

Robbo wrote:
    Ah there'd be less objection from our quarters to a rail bridge, it was the thought of overhead knackers on a foot bridge that was the problem before. You'd never convince the college. No sirree bob.

Where there's a bridge, be it rail, car, walk... there'll be knackers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I fail to see why modern bridges cannot have built in ' sweeping units' that can spot a lurking hoodie and open fire .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Car-pooling, organised using a free service where you sign up, bang in your daily work route/or other stuff, and "Kompootar" suggests some people who you could share transport with.
    Save money, reduce traffic on the road by a healthy percentage, meet your neighbours, not get raped.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

JohnCleary wrote:

But it's already there. Well, the stone supports at least from the old Clifden line. The plan is to re-open the old line.

City Council have agreed to seek funding for a feasibility study on the entire plan.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

soundbyte wrote:
    But it's already there. Well, the stone supports at least from the old Clifden line. The plan is to re-open the old line.

City Council have agreed to seek funding for a feasibility study on the entire plan.
    There were plans for a "Millenium Footbridge" across the same pillars and objections from a club of which myself and Mr Cleary are members, amongst other people. Anyway, if you land a light rail on the western side of the river there, where are you going to go with it? Space is tight around the campus and they're not fond of giving it up. Moreover, there's an increasing amount of buildings going up in the vicinity (viz the Biomed building and the just-started new sports centre).

Whilst I agree with the plan on principal, I can't see it going much further. What I see with this proposal is an enthusiast who's taken the crayons to a map of Galway and thinks he's found a solution to traffic problems. If a proper study is done and it produces a favourable plan at a price people can stomach, I would be very surprised.

Helicopters for all! :D

JohnCleary wrote:
    Helicopters for all! :D
    Monorail tbh.

Cmon now. Monorail! Monorail! Monorail! Monorail!

TBH ... :D

index.4.jpg

Must. Have. One.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Thank feic I only live a 20 minute walk from college road to work every day. I hate the thought of wasting my life stuck in poxy traffic. Well worth the extra bit of rent. ;)

JohnCleary wrote:
    TBH ... :D

index.4.jpg

Must. Have. One.
    Won't you just settle for one of them jet boats that can leap river banks and trees? I believe there's one around the place these days...

Robbo wrote:
    Won't you just settle for one of them jet boats that can leap river banks and trees? I believe there's one around the place these days...

The problem is that they don't leap the trees, they tend to get wedged in between them and crack! (I've never roffled as much in my life, best rescue ever in my 2.8m ALDI inflatable!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement