Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Flying Plane over city

Options
  • 04-10-2006 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭

For the Past week now there's been a plane flying over the city, not the usual coonagh plane, its alot bigger. Does anyone know what it is? (well i know it's a plane, but who owns it?) Is it belong to the Army?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ah its the army checking up on moyross

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

For the Past week now there's been a plane flying over the city, not the usual coonagh plane, its alot bigger. Does anyone know what it is? (well i know it's a plane, but who owns it?) Is it belong to the Army?
    GASU, Garda Air Support Unit
    Britten-Norman Defender 4000, BN 2T-4S
    http://www.garda.ie/angarda/gasu/defender.html

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

that's the one ...... heavilly armed and ready for action ..... so don't mess with it !!!! ..... :)

ps. if the mods go after me on this one I'm going home .... :p

army_dog.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

what good is a plane a few hundred feet in the air going to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Cool its kitted out with fancy optics.
    wonder how good they are.

From Looking at pics taken from aircraft from WWII the detail is amazing and would
    have prvided great info ..... imagaine Now the 21st Century with IR and other
    great techy stuff. The Garda could gather some great info.

As per the link already provided by jbkenn:

Deployment of the GASU

Garda Aircraft may be deployed to incidents in the following circumstances,

* An Immediate threat to life.
    * Incidents of crime, terrorism or of national importance.
    * Immediate threat of serious public disorder.
    * A task, which will lead to the immediate prevention or detection of crime.
    * To gather evidence and to prevent or detect crime or to avert a serious public disorder.
    * To gather information on and deal with incidents relating to Crime, Public disorder and traffic related matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

This is not just any plane. It is equipped with an array of electronic equipment for visual and audio surveillance. There are plans to add equipment that will allow information gathered to be downloaded in real time to Garda control and/or units on the ground. This may have happened already.
    Its full capability is not in the public domain for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

Bertie A. is due to arrive in Moyross on Friday. Maybe they are checking the scene?!

http://www.limerickpost.ie/dailynews.elive?id=7314&category=Daily-Thu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Bertie A. is due to arrive in Moyross on Friday. Maybe they are checking the scene?!

Just saw it flying around about an hour ago.....

saw it yesterday above howleys quay (didnt spell that right...)
    yay im part of the gang now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

1huge1 wrote:
    yay im part of the gang now

did ye noticed the new dress code? you have to wear black woollen/fleece gloves! the cool guys from the island field are all wearing this now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I saw the thing flying over Punches Cross yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Its flight path from/to shannon is not far from where I live and it always seemed to turn just above my house. Took out the scope the other night and had a look at it, its the one in the photo alright.

It flys pretty slowly, so it can get a good view of whats going on below.

Its flight path from/to shannon is not far from where I live and it always seemed to turn just above my house. Took out the scope the other night and had a look at it, its the one in the photo alright.

did you see the 'Doggie' ...... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

From what i saw it seemed to land in coonagh the past couple of nights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Wonder how long before someone has a paranoia overload and uses it for target practice ?

dont give ppl ideas you never know who could be reading cough cough mr squid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭NewsWire

ah shur , it's no secret that the Garda helicopter was fired on once or twice while over either southill or Moyross there not too long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

hobie wrote:
    did you see the 'Doggie' ...... :p

Hehee, I threw him a bonio and a squeez toy, got a vented chest in return.He's a good shot!

Our local coal yard also sells push bikes ...... they have an Alsation who takes over the place after closing time .....

I gave the owner a blown up copy of the Doggie photo above ..... he was delighted with it and put it up in his Customer's office ..... :p

Advertisement