Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specific subjects within secondary teaching

• 04-10-2006 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I am currently pursuing an arts degree, Im in my first year and its soon coming to the crunch with regards my choice of subjects for the year. What would really inform my decision is knowing what sort of specific choices would be better suited to teaching in the future, for instance is it possible to get a hdip and teach english without having done English in college? can doing Economics lead to teaching Business studies at the secondary level? or can you chose something entirely outside your field of expertise when doing your hdip? the whole things seems to be a bit of a mystery to me , If anyone could clarify Id be thankful

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dkelly83

As far as I'm aware the best subjects to have that will get you a job quickly are Irish and Maths. I don't know what subject's you are doing...either of these? People who have only one subject for their degree usually do Religion in the H.Dip as their second subject. Schools usually want you to have the subjects you are going to teach to degree level. Although in saying this, you should be prepared to teach anything and everything. Frighteningly enough, not an awful lot of teachers have done the subjects they are teaching to degree level!! I know a girl who has thought everything from French to Irish to Maths and her subjects are German and Biology!!! She hadn't done French since her Junior Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I am currently pursuing an arts degree, Im in my first year and its soon coming to the crunch with regards my choice of subjects for the year. What would really inform my decision is knowing what sort of specific choices would be better suited to teaching in the future, for instance is it possible to get a hdip and teach english without having done English in college? can doing Economics lead to teaching Business studies at the secondary level? or can you chose something entirely outside your field of expertise when doing your hdip? the whole things seems to be a bit of a mystery to me , If anyone could clarify Id be thankful

As I say to most people who ask questions like yours - How would you like it if someone taught you English for the LC, but didn't have an English degree, or for any other subject?

Think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Loss Leader

Im aware of that , but the only reason I ask is to inform my choices in arts now before the change of mind deadline (friday) expires. Also not every course seems to have a direct translation. sure english teaches english , economics teaches economics, but what about general business? pe? CSPE? stuff like that. Im just curious as to the official die-cast requiments for teaching a course. if infact there are any.

Advertisement