Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 3200 -- Windows does not recognise driver

• 04-10-2006 8:01pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Today I purchased a cable (im assuming its the DKU-5, it doesnt say what it is but a Google Image Search shows a very similar item) from my local Nokia Service Centre for €60. He told me it would work on my Nokia 3200 and Nokia 6230i. When I connect up the cable to my 3200, I get the following error;

"One of the USB Devices attached to the computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognise it".

PC Suite isnt recognising a connection either.

However, if I connect the Nokia 6230i - it works perfect.

Iv googled, and came across discussions on the "Nokia Talk Forum" which were a year old and links given no longer work. There seems to be some sort of discussion about getting the drivers online, some guy was emailing them. One other guy suggested connecting, switching profile back and forth (claimed it worked for him). That didnt work for me. From what I gather, its a very common error so im really hoping someone can help me fix this error.

Any ideas? Im baffled!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

there is a few different cables for the pop port phones (all look simular) dont know which one you have.
    You certainly havent got a Nokia one if theres no model number on it!
    You most likely have a dku-2 which works fine with 6230 etc etc but not 3200
    What you need is a ca-42 or a DKu-5

get your self a usb infra red eye...works with all models..that way your future proofed..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ye the 6230i is dku-2, the 3200 is dku-5. they look almost identical but aren't interchangeable. bring it back

JohnnieM wrote:
    get your self a usb infra red eye...works with all models..that way your future proofed..;)
    except that its infra red, which is being phased out in favour of bluetooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm just wondering why you didn't pay about 15euro for both cables from eBay.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

chrislad wrote:
    I'm just wondering why you didn't pay about 15euro for both cables from eBay.

Kinda in a hurry for it. I think ill get a refund and use the Infared system instead.

Anyway, I went in today. The guy who I spoke to was the boss of that store, but the guy who I spoke today was his boss. He didnt want to "go over his head" but couldnt understand why the other guy wouldnt give me a receipt, wouldnt comment on the price situation, and told me it would work on both phones when he should of known it didnt. He also told me they do that service in the store.

So ya, iv to go back tommrow and they will transfer pics/numbers etc from my 3200 to 6230i. Will get my refund and an explination about previous events.

• Advertisement

except that its infra red, which is being phased out in favour of bluetooth

yeah.true to some degree..(Infra red is still very popular)...i suppose its a matter of personal preference...

but his 3200 dosent have bluetooth..anyway its easier to use you dont have to pair them etc etc just point it at the eye..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

JohnnieM wrote:
    yeah.true to some degree..(Infra red is still very popular)...i suppose its a matter of personal preference...

but his 3200 dosent have bluetooth..anyway its easier to use you dont have to pair them etc etc just point it at the eye..
    you think IR is easier to use?

on the nokia pc suite, setting up an IR connection and BT connection follows exactly the same steps and it works up to ten metres away without needing line of sight. how is it easier?

Yeah i think its easier...first of all you dont have any software issues between microsoft bluetooth and widcomm stack (which you will always get with Xp service sp2)...then you have to search (it could find five phones in range ..you select which one you want...pair....I left allready at this stage with my data backed up by infra red...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I've always found bluetooth to be easier myself, infrared tends to break down if ye move the phone around or don't hold it just right.

• Advertisement

yeah true that is a problem...(Which happens quite a bit.)
    Commander you'll be happy to know Im actually trying to download a driver update for widcomm stack to sort out my bluetooth problems..
    Which version have you guys got? have ye got xp sp2?

JohnnieM wrote:
    yeah true that is a problem...(Which happens quite a bit.)
    Commander you'll be happy to know Im actually trying to download a driver update for widcomm stack to sort out my bluetooth problems..
    Which version have you guys got? have ye got xp sp2?
    that's better :D

i've xp sp2 but i managed to get BT working on sp1 before. now that was a bastard and a half. i never had any stack issues on sp2

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

yapyap wrote:

And done :D

Just bought the two cables of eBay for a LOT less then 60 quid. Hopefuly the sale goes through OK.

PC World did not have any Infared Adapters. :|

Got the DKU-5 cable with a blank cd! Just contacted the seller about it.

Anyway, tried connecting the phone - Windows recongised the connection and tried to find drivers by searching but was unable to do so :|. Also the Nokia PC Suite that comes with the 6230i is not picking up the connection either.

Any ideas what I should do here? :)

Edit:: Found the drivers for the cable on the Nokia Website (tho, apparently my cable isnt an actualy Nokia cable but is based on it.) and installed them. Connected phone, and its now looking to install a USB-UART Controller which it cant find.

Very confusing :S

Did I understand you right its not a Nokia cable???
    it pays to use the nokia gear......all the drivers you need should be on your pc suite disk (and windows)
    To immediatly sort your problem...Will the shop where you bought the phone not do the transfer for you anyway?

Advertisement