Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devil May Cry 3 SE : or much like the developers pointing and laughing at you

Options
  • 04-10-2006 8:36pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Now I like to think I have time for hard games - dammit, I played through all of Ninja Gaiden Black - but DMC 3 is now my official hardest game ever. After holding off buying it for a while so I could get the SE (which had apparantly lowered the difficulty level) I finally got my mitts on it on Saturday. Now, the mechanics of the game are wonderful - quite simply the most exhilirating combat on PS2 - but I honestly have no recollection of any game being quite so "FU thank you very much" hard. (Im playing on normal with yellow setting by the way, and I refuse to let the game win by setting it to easy). A friend of mine was saying as well he couldn't get pass the third mission or so, and he's a proper gamer. Me, I am finding the combat test in mission six to be quite frankly "controller hurling at TV" difficult.
    It begs the question : just how hard was it before revamped difficulty?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Dreamcrusher

I hate games that ridiculously ramp up the difficulty just for the sake of it. Almost broke my wireless controller the first day of owning a 360 because of the final boss in doa4. I did break the game box tho by hurling it at a wall. Also Broke the CD for Grandia on the ps1 after i got stuck at a certain boss fight that just kept on kicking my arse, disc got ripped out of the ps1 and flung at a wall where it shattered into a million fragments. Almost broke my mega drive on numerous occasions ripping the cartridge for street fighter 2 out of it without turning it off frist....i got anger problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Picked it up in original form. I'm used to old school C64 games where the difficulty was set pretty high. But DMC3 is a cut above. The missions themselves aren't hugely difficult, but the bosses are. Working out the patterns they attack is helpful, but some give no indication of what they're going to do.

Didn't find it surprising that capcom had added in cheats on the title screen by just pressing the L and R buttons. Me thinks someone in capcom QC had words with the programmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Yeah, Ninja Gaiden was a bitch. Those grey ninjas with their exploding death stars and the floating piranhas near the end. Didn't throw the xbox across the room but did do a lot of damage to my blood pressure levels. I just ordered DMC3 hoping for a similar game. Sounds like I could be in for some more vein popping though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Yeah i bought this game ages ago and i have to say it really is a mother ****er!!!! The only thing is that it is not so hard as to be outright impossible so keep at it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Good idea: Allowing the gamer to save or continue game just before the hard bit occurs

Bad idea: Forcing the gamer to replay all the mundane, mostly annoying, time consuming bits just before the hard bit occurs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah the moaners are back :rolleyes:

Devil May Cry 3 is tough but nowhere near impossible. I played it on Normal on the original release and didn't have too much trouble. Admittedly the first real boss you encounter, Cerberus, is a real baptism of fire and a complete bastard to beat but shouldn't be all that difficult to beat using one small health refill (in fact when you fight all the bosses again at the end Cerberus is still the toughest). The second boss is a little bit tricky (the twins) but nowhere near as hard as Cerberus. After that it should be plain sailing. It never took me more than 2 goes to beat a boss afterwards (although the last boss fight is very tough but I had enough health rechargers left at that stage). Being sent back to the start of a stage after failing a boss fight is a little bit mean. However in the 16-bit days if you ran out of lives it was back to the beginning of the game.

At least you can get through the boss rush at the end by only killing 3 bosses unlike Viewtiful joe.

It may be a little tougher than Ninja Gaiden but I've played and beaten far tougher games. It's amazing that nobody used to complain about the difficulty in Contra: Hard Corps, Cybernator or the R-type games but now when presented with the slightest bit of challenge that actually requires skill it's heralded by the gamer as the worst game ever. We really have been pampered by Easy games lately. I've no problem with easy games but DMC3 was refreshing since it actually required skill to beat. People seem to expect to button bash their way through games. Ninja Gaiden is regarded as tough but I found it quite easy to get through when you discover how essential blocking, countering and using magic is.

I actually found DMC1 much tought Nightmare was a reall, well, nightmare to beat and you faced him 3 times :rollseyes:

Anyway I don't care what you moaners think. I'm not going to point and laugh at you or tell you that you are **** and you know it. Instead I say that your **** and it's because you gave up too early or have no patience. Patience is what Ninja Gaiden and DMC is all about. All I know is that DMC3 is one of the best games of this generation.

As for the person who broke their Grandia disk I will point and laugh at you. That game is worth a mint now since it's very rare. Grandia is another game I stormed through. Very easy as long as you don't run past most enemy encounters.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    As for the person who broke their Grandia disk I will point and laugh at you. That game is worth a mint now since it's very rare. Grandia is another game I stormed through. Very easy as long as you don't run past most enemy encounters.

I dont care, it was worth it to smash that cockbagging game to fcuking pieces after all the times it pissed me off

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Myself on the other hand adored Grandia. Thought it was one of the best games on the PS1.

You should take a leaf out of tmans book next time a game pisses you off. He puts the games that annoy him in the freezer. I thought he was an oddball but I find it quite calming at times.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Myself on the other hand adored Grandia. Thought it was one of the best games on the PS1.

You should take a leaf out of tmans book next time a game pisses you off. He puts the games that annoy him in the freezer. I thought he was an oddball but I find it quite calming at times.

I did think it was a brilliant game, i enjoyed it alot more than say FFIX for example, bt it wasnt due to being bad at the game that i kept losing, i got attacked by fcuking FROGS in this maze part of the game when my team was almost dead, and then had to do a boss fight straight after so i was absolutely fcuked and just couldnt beat them, had no save before that part to fall back to, and couldnt be arsed starting over as it was so far into the game. So grandia took a flying fcuk at a rolling donut and ended in pieces all over my carpet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Ah the moaners are back :rolleyes:

Devil May Cry 3 is tough but nowhere near impossible. I played it on Normal on the original release and didn't have too much trouble. Admittedly the first real boss you encounter, Cerberus, is a real baptism of fire and a complete bastard to beat but shouldn't be all that difficult to beat using one small health refill (in fact when you fight all the bosses again at the end Cerberus is still the toughest). The second boss is a little bit tricky (the twins) but nowhere near as hard as Cerberus. After that it should be plain sailing. It never took me more than 2 goes to beat a boss afterwards (although the last boss fight is very tough but I had enough health rechargers left at that stage). Being sent back to the start of a stage after failing a boss fight is a little bit mean. However in the 16-bit days if you ran out of lives it was back to the beginning of the game.

At least you can get through the boss rush at the end by only killing 3 bosses unlike Viewtiful joe.

It may be a little tougher than Ninja Gaiden but I've played and beaten far tougher games. It's amazing that nobody used to complain about the difficulty in Contra: Hard Corps, Cybernator or the R-type games but now when presented with the slightest bit of challenge that actually requires skill it's heralded by the gamer as the worst game ever. We really have been pampered by Easy games lately. I've no problem with easy games but DMC3 was refreshing since it actually required skill to beat. People seem to expect to button bash their way through games. Ninja Gaiden is regarded as tough but I found it quite easy to get through when you discover how essential blocking, countering and using magic is.

I actually found DMC1 much tought Nightmare was a reall, well, nightmare to beat and you faced him 3 times :rollseyes:

Anyway I don't care what you moaners think. I'm not going to point and laugh at you or tell you that you are **** and you know it. Instead I say that your **** and it's because you gave up too early or have no patience. Patience is what Ninja Gaiden and DMC is all about. All I know is that DMC3 is one of the best games of this generation.

While you make some solid points there, you also seem to be making some odd assumptions.
    In no way did I ever mention that Devil May Cry is a bad game. It is quite excellent. I was simply commenting - some might correctly say ranting - about a difficulty that I for one am not used to. I'm not hardcore enough to have tried the likes of Contra and R Type, so simply this game was a little shocking for myself as I am used to relativly managable difficulty levels in game. And I do have relative amounts of patience. It's just that having to replay an entire level again to reach the so called 'hard bit' - as mentioned above - can take it's toll on even the most saintly of saints. You seem to assume that since you had 'little difficulty' in normal mode no one else will. While I do play a lot of games these days, my skills are probably just above average, so for me DMC3 is proving a spectacular challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Haven't every played a DMC game. Gonna give this a go in awhile, probably...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Wtf? Didn't think it was that hard at all. I've played it a good lot of missions/hours through on normal. Twas a bit hard at some points, but for the most it was kind of mundane. Sold it after a bit because I just got a bit bored.

Ninja Gaiden though...God how I hated that game.
    I smashed a vase playing that game. The vase was sitting beside the tv, and my anger grew so great that I hurled the controller with all my might at the tv. Missed and hit the vase.

While you make some solid points there, you also seem to be making some odd assumptions.
    In no way did I ever mention that Devil May Cry is a bad game. It is quite excellent. I was simply commenting - some might correctly say ranting - about a difficulty that I for one am not used to. I'm not hardcore enough to have tried the likes of Contra and R Type, so simply this game was a little shocking for myself as I am used to relativly managable difficulty levels in game. And I do have relative amounts of patience. It's just that having to replay an entire level again to reach the so called 'hard bit' - as mentioned above - can take it's toll on even the most saintly of saints. You seem to assume that since you had 'little difficulty' in normal mode no one else will. While I do play a lot of games these days, my skills are probably just above average, so for me DMC3 is proving a spectacular challenge.

If you played games in the late 8-'s and early 90's R-type and Contra and their ilk would have been your videogaming brerad and butter. Videogames have gotten extremely easy nowadays but it's more to do with games becoming longer. Contra could be beaten in less half and hour but it tooks months to get there. i'm not actually really good at games but since I'm used to harder games and harsher reprecussions of dying in a game I don't find DMC 3 that hard or frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yeah, average game difficulty is generally far too low for my liking these days. I love the DMC games for being as difficult as they are, it reminds me of my Amiga days with Project X and Disposable Hero.

I rarely bother playing any game on the lower difficulty settings. If you're not forced to get good at a game, you never will. DMC is doing you a favour, really. :)

Thought Grandia would have been a lot rarer. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Retr0gamer wrote:

As already said above, i bought DMC3 and played it ( on hard, a stupid habit i picked up off a gamer mate who "only plays on hard man, the other levels are just there so the testers can do everything" ) and like i said, found it hard, really hard, but not impossible and as i said, it's a game well worth sticking to.

I deffo agree about DMC3 being one of the best games of this generation, storyline, characterisation, gameplay, the looks and atmos, it's all there.

However, i didn't really see anyone else "moaning" about it, just commenting that it was pretty difficult game to them is all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

try those old days' catlevania series,specially the 1 in Game boy version.

a NORMAL gamer cant finish nearly all of those old times action or puzzle types games on those old consoles.:rolleyes:
    tetris,puzznic,megaman1,1904(all those old times aeroplane shooting games are crazy),contra,ninja turtle and lots more.

recently i got stucked in the final battle of God of War in GOd mode(the part that Kratos killing himselves to save his beloved):( and trying my best to beat Chaos Legion in normal mode(its crazy:rolleyes: seriously)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Personally I have very little patience when it comes to games that make you replay a whole level, that you can beat easy enough until you come to the hard part. It's pointless. I think it's a waste of time and usually results in me leaving the game unfinished for a while only to return to it and forget where I am or what to do.

I like hard games. I like short games. Ico is my perfect game. Fun to play and not frustratingly hard but still requires you to use your noggin.

I don't agree that we've been spoilt with easy games in the recent past either.... but people are opting for the "easy" option far too quickly. I always at least attempt it on hard (get my monies worth)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

is the SE worth getting if i have the original?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

evad_lhorg wrote:
    is the SE worth getting if i have the original?

The extra features are that you can play as Virgil (which I havent done yet) and a 9999 (!) level dungeon thingie - you know the kind that come with every action game and which I for one am not paticularly fond of. But not owning the original I wouldnt really know. But it is only 24 99 which wont really break the bank if you really do like the game (which, despite the insane difficulty, I am starting to do - the boss within the Leviathan is the most intense I have witnessed in ages).

Speaking of SE, Metal Gear Solid 3 subsistence is just out. Ive held off playing til it came out, and once i finish DM3 - which may quite a while - ill give it a whirl. Anyone played it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i held off mgs3 myself until this came out. got it today. hvant played yet but i will soon. no nhl 2k7 today either as it was delayed. crappy packaging on mgs subsistence and the same goes for dmc 3 se. was hoping for some cool box.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Aaahh... DMC3 annoyed the fvck out of me.
    And not just because that damn Cerberus beat me into submission too often at the beginning (I almost sold the game then & there), but also -- this is actually quite funny! -- the first time I beat Vergil, the game froze!
    Oh well, press restart button, go through the whole level AGAIN, beat Vergil AGAIN (this time taking 2 go's), aaaand -- the game freezes AGAIN!!
    At least I got a decent trade-in for my broken game ;)

Advertisement