Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eye glasses for diving mask

• 04-10-2006 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭

Dear all,
    Is there anyone here in Ireland who makes or supplies lenses for spectacle wearing divers that can be fitted into diving masks?
    Thanks
    CG

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Don't Know if it's available in Ireland but Simply Scuba in the UK will fit your corrective lens to the TUSA Liberator mask, you have to choose the suitable corrective lens.

Example Link for 'minus' lenses:

Click Here

Hope this helps, I've bought stuff from Simply Scuba before & have had no probs.

Benny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

You could also try Specsavers. They do prescription masks for divers.

Seadeuce

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Should've gone to specsavers..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

you could try flagship they do a mask and can get the lenses to put onto it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Or you could use contact lenses,thats what i do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Well,it isnt for me .I am just posting this for a friend who is computorless at the moment and has bad eyesight.Thats my story anyway.....

Yes he tried contacts down in Turkey where he did his diving course.Now,wether he had a eye weakness,or somthing gave way,but he ended up with a mega eye infection and when told this to Specsavers,they ordred him down to the local doc in the hospital,who discoverd some major eye trouble that could have blinded him,due to the infection getting in behind the lenses when he did flooded mask training in the water.
    Either the water around Turkey is really grubby,or one should give the contacts and diving a miss?????:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I dont know, i havent had any problems using lenses so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

hello!
    I dont be in this forum but i spotted this on the main page.
    I work in the lab in <snip> thats why im replying!!
    Now the amount of germs and bacteria in ALL water is VERY dangerous for your eyes, i cud go in a tangent using big words but theres no point!!
    What your friend was told when he went to <snip> was correct, water getting in contact with your contact lenses can cause blindness, it leads to a very serious eye infection.
    About the diving masks, yes <snip> do them,they DO have to be ordered tho we do have a SMALL selection in store. There is a magazine that you can look at and choose a mask also.
    <further snippage>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Rightio, I've just deleted a post from somebody who works for one of the big eye glasses chains. To the extent he was saying that they do make diving masks to perscription. I'll leave it up to you to work out which chain it is. (Should have gone to them in the first place ... :D)

He didn't actually mean to advertise but de rules is de rules and if we make an exception for him, blammo, every dive center from the Red Sea to Thailand will be spamming us.

All is well, consume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

OK ok we got the hint as to who it is.;)
    what was pertinent was he/she was right about giving the contacts a miss with diving.Due to infection risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭smcmullan

I haven't read of any problems diving with contact lenses or rather it depends on the type of lenses or how well you clean them. If you have hard lenses or even monthly disposables then you need to be ultra careful cleaning them. Don't use tap water as it can contain bacteria and other organisms that can give you some major problems. In fact cleaning solutions are a major PITA in terms of expense, running out at inappropriate times, carrying them about the place especially when travelling.

So I switched to daily disposables (no cleaning - use once and feck them out) and make sure my hands are clean when I'm putting them in and taking them out. They're a major improvement for anyone doing adventure sports. I'm on about 150 trouble free dives with contact lenses now.

However I do use ear drops every now and again as a preventative against trapped water (not to mention air) and risk of infection and similarly a tube of Brolene or eye drops in the dive kit wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Actually I'm going to undelete that post and just remove the company name. Makes it easier, I'll just point out this is sort of going against the rules. It's generally frowned upon to edit somebodies post like that but I feel this deserves an exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Miss Polaris

LASIK (Laser eye surgery) - its the only way to go! The risk with contacts is considrable, but luckily I never had an infection.

Your local optitician can order in masks or lenses for masks - also many mask manufacturers sell specific diopters - you just need to supply your prescription.

See: http://www.eppelopticians.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

LASIK (Laser eye surgery) - its the only way to go!
    Any recommendations on this? Thinking of getting it done long term, not immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Miss Polaris

Hi,

I had mine done in Optimax in Belfast (worked out at under €2000 and with 800 of that to come back in tax) www.optimax.co.uk

I found them very professional and the actual procedure is only 15 mins. Well worth it :D

Let me know if you would like some specifics and I will PM.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Scania

There is an optition called Alfie Weiss. He is at that large roundabout near Walkingstown, I think it is called.

Look him up in the phonebook or ask Willie or Monica in OceanDivers.

Alfie used to be a diver and he made lenses for me. Some people say he is the only one in Ireland who can actually do it and at a good price too.

I am not only shortsited by have astigmatism too and these type of lenses can not be bought over the counter.

Advertisement