Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop internet sharing, need help

Options
  • 04-10-2006 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭

need help, this is my set up

laptop 1 - connected to the internet via lan
    laptop 2 - trying to connect to the internet via wireless via laptop 1, is this possible?

i have connected both computers wirelessly using adhoc connection, on same workgroup, and i can view each computer in my network places, so i can share all the folders fine,i have my lan connection shared on laptop 1( so that other computers can connect to the internet through this computer), but i cannot access the connection in laptop 2, what am i missing? in lan connection advanced there is an option for settings, do these need to be ticked? what do i need to run on laptop 2 to access the shared lan connection on laptop 1.any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Moved to Nets/Comms. :p
    If you go into laptop2's network properties and into TCP/IP, ideally you should be able to set everything to auto and have it work.
    If ICS is setup properly on laptop1, then it should be running a DHCP server that'll give laptop2 all the settings it needs to use its net connection.
    You can have a look at what setup laptop2 is using by going to Start > Run > cmd and entering ipconfig at the command prompt... the default gateway should be set to the ip of laptop1 (that is the IP of that laptop as it exists on the network between the two laptops, though laptop1 should have another IP for its own network connection to the net)... if the default gateway is blank, then DHCP is probably failing... maybe you have a static IP setup on laptop2 or maybe ICS isn't running properly on laptop1.
    Also software firewalls in my experience have been known to disrupt DHCP... so there may be a config issue there aswell.
    Or if you're feeling lazy and running XP, you could run the network setup wizzard on both PCs.

I don't know if there are any caveats in the case of ICS and wireless, since I don't use any wireless kit myself, the above is based on working wired connections, but I assume the same basic ideas carry over.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Moved from laptop forum - will probably get a better answer here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

tom dunne wrote:
    will probably get a better answer here.
    Hey my answer wasn't that bad. :p
    Really though, homerjay hit us back with the output of your ipconfig... should help the investigation if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

thanks for the help, i aint had a chance to test yet, i only have one of the laptops at the moment. will try again on sunday and will feedback how i got on, cheers again and ya, a good post there donkeystyle!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would seriously consider getting a wireless router, it would make things a lot easier and more reliable (if only because you could remove the first laptop and the second one would keep working). You could get the FON one (http://www.fon.com/) for around 18 euros all-in. (Disclaimer - I am an adviser at FON but it's still a great deal!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement