Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suse booting using Grub, not dual boot with windows?

• 04-10-2006 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Is there a way i can include windows on the GRUB menu? I tried just creating a link called Windows that pointed to the windows drive but that didnt do anything.

Then i tried acronis os-selector boot manager but it could only find the linux drive.

I just recently installed linux to a seperate hard drive. If i disconnect the linux drive, window's can be detected and repaired using the windows cd but not sure how to get a proper dual boot where i can choose up and running. Its one or the other at the moment.

Advise please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Edit the menu.lst file, in /boot/grub, and add:

title Windows
    root (hdx,x)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

where (hdX, X) is your C:\ drive, numbers start from zero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If Windows is not on the primary hard drive you'll need to add an additional line to the Windows boot section:

map (hdx) (hd0)

Where hdx is the drive with Windows on it.

Also if the Windows partition is NTFS formatted I think you'll have to use 'rootnoverify' as GRUB can't read/mount it:

rootnoverify (hdx,x)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

yes i was getting error 12: invalid device requested filesystem type unknown

and then error 18: selected cylinder exceeds max supported by the bios.

So whats the total config; ?

itle Windows
    root (hd1,4)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1
    map (hdx) (hd0) - not sure about this
    rootnoverify (hdx,x)

STaN wrote:
    So whats the total config; ?

Try this:

title Windows
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    rootnoverify (hd1,4)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

is this going to be an issue if my windows hard drive is sata? i think the device name is sda

• Advertisement

STaN wrote:
    is this going to be an issue if my windows hard drive is sata? i think the device name is sda
    It shouldn't be. GRUB uses it's own device identifiers (hd0), (hd1),...,(hdN) and maps these to the drives in your system regardless of them being hdX or sdX.

Bear in mind that my suggestion above assumes that you have Windows on (hd1) and not (hd0). If Windows is on (hd0) then the 'map' lines aren't required.

how do i find out for sure which is which?

my current config for linux is:
    color white/blue black/light-gray
    default 0
    timeout 8
    gfxmenu (hd1,1)/boot/message

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
    title SUSE LINUX 10.0
        root (hd1,1)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc2 vga=0x31a selinux=0    resume=/dev/hdc1  splash=silent showopts
        initrd /boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: floppy###
    title Floppy
        chainloader (fd0)+1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
    title Failsafe -- SUSE LINUX 10.0
        root (hd1,1)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc2 vga=normal showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume selinux=0 nosmp noapic maxc
        initrd /boot/initrd

Advertisement