Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

varicose veins and very unhappy!!

• 04-10-2006 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

sorry if this is long!!
    i noticed on my left leg during the summer that the veins on my left leg had gone very dark and on the top of my leg were risen so naturally i went to the doctor.im only 23 years of age and i have varicose veins.i was quite upset by this and still am.nobody seems to understand how unhappy i am about it and when i talk to them about it they seem to just kinda brush it off as if its something trivial.i cant stop thinking bout it and is making me very paranoid and unhappy,ive made an appointment with my local hospital which is for a year away i might add.so i dunno if i go private its gonna cost me a fortune!!i know i could have worse things in life and im probably stupid for goin on about it,but has anyone else felt like this?:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

do u smoke?
    smoking is one of the many causes of varicose veins especially if you're a heavy smoker..
    try cutting back or quitting if you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

as you said yourself there are a lot worse things in life that you could have, consider yourself lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 fallout_girl

hi op
    started to have varicose veins myself at the age of 23, my mum and grandma have them quite badly as well and i was told that (apart from smoking and standing a lot) it can be genetical to a certain extent.
    you can get them lasered quite easily, it doesn't hurt at all but can be rather expensive with up to €100 a session. there are usually 4 weeks between sessions so you don't have to cough up the full amount for the treatment in one go.
    i went to the lasercentre close to stephens green and found them very helpful.
    as you get the first ones already i would advise to treat them as soon as you can as they at a later stage can turn into thrombose veins which will need surgical attention.
    i'm almost at the end of my treatment and it feels really good to know that on my next holidays i can wear a bikini without being constantly thinking about the blue lines on my thighs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

A close friend of mine has them and has had some removed. But is keeping some in for "emergencies".

Here is a non surgical/medical link you may find useful about diet exercise and preventative measures.

http://www.healingwithnutrition.com/vdisease/varicoseveins/pplan.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

I got varicose veins in my late teens, and must be heriditary as my mother had them.

Anyway, firstly I'm a guy so it happens to everyone, secondly, i ignored them but i found that by the time i hit my 30's my legs felt very tight aftre a run of anysort. It was only when I was in casualty with a popped ankle that the Doctor told me to get them looked at urgently so I went to my GP and got a letter of referral to St Johns Hospital in Limerick.

I waited for anout four months for the first leg, that was done in December 03 the other leg was done in December 05, was done as a day patient. Hurt a bit at the time, had to wear a special stockling for about a month or so afterwards, operation was done under a general anestetic.

Cosmeticly, if you are a woman you may not feel it is an option, there are lots of little scars in the legs which, well, for me, are covered in hair so you wouldnt notice, and there is also a small insision at the crotch area.

I spoke to a nurse afterwards who worked in Germany (I think) and she was appaled that the hospital disnt use lasers, which avopid the scars.

I suppose what I'm saying is do have them done surgically will leave scars laser I think wont. However i advise from my experiance getting them done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jac83

its not hereditary and i dont smoke so id say its due to the fact i stand a lot in work,ive been takin aesculus(horse chestnut)tablets for the past 4 monts or so they supposedly strengthen the veins from the inside,so i dunno but anyway thanks for all the help and input everybody i really appreciate it,

Advertisement