Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Doctor Who popular?

• 04-10-2006 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

So why do you reckon its popular enough to be reincarnated by the beeb after being pulled so many years ago?

And......

Have the beeb done enough with the merchandising this time round? Originally they were inspired by George Lucas and the Star Wars gig. But it failed. (well that was my judgement as a kid)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why it came back - it never really went away! The fan base remained intact and many at the Beeb continued to have affection for the programme even if Michael Grade professed a dislike for it. Dr Who is part of the British cultural landscape and as such it was almost a no-brainer to resurrect it.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

What Mike said.

And, I was in Smyths and Forbidden Planet and the amount of merchendising is staggering. In fact there is in FP an early 80's cyberman who talks and makes little noises as well as remote controlled Daleks and the usual ation figures.

But: The availability of DVD's of the pre-ecclestone (ok ok) seasons is pretty bad, HMV Henry Street was the best but that wasnt saying much.

I remember, now it was years ago but anyway, Chapters having hundreds of Who VHS on their shelves for next to nowt. Someone, somewhere, picked up a goldmine.

Advertisement