Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jericho [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

• 04-10-2006 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR JERICHO
    After a nuclear disaster caused by several terrorist attacks destroys most of America, residents of a small Kansas town must come to terms with a new and very different reality.

In the interest of keeping discussion on a specific show / episodes together, this is a general discussion thread for discussing said show during it's upcoming season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Have enjoyed the first two episodes of this. Just enought teasers to keep you interested and a great sense of how lost they all feel... it could go horribly wrong but so far so good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I don't know.. have seen the first 3 episodes and i'm soooo torn on this!

I mean the general idea is brillant.. but some truly awful dialogue and acting bring the show down. Not mentioning the truly uneven score played over some scenes.

I read somewhere that one of the writers on it puts in a post on his blog saying something along the lines of be patient.. and that it really gets going from episode 4 onwards.

I really want this to be good.. maybe i'm being two picky. But some recent dialogue in this gave me two huge laughs:

In episode 2
    where i think it was Eric (Jake's brother) goes into the local bar and says for everyone to get to a shelter. They ask who he is.. and he says he's the deputy mayor. Everyone in the bar laughs at him.. and a voice from somewhere outta shot shouts... wait for it...

"What.. did your Daddy make you a deputy..?"

It's just so random, cliched, poorly dubbed and outta nowhere. I laughed!

And in episode 3..
    when Jake and Stanley arrive back to get the people outta the salt mines after Jake forced the cave-in. Everyone in the cave-in hears the sound of a drill from the opposite site of the rocks and we get numerous shots of the big crowd of people standing in front of it.. and then someone shouts:

"I think there's someone on the other side!" (D'YA THINK!!? :rolleyes:)

I think the really dialogue really lets the show down.. it's patchy and poorly delivered. But i'll keep watching as i hope it gets good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

There are a few dodgy lines here and there but nothing big. The acting all round seems up to scratch,good show so far I reckon. Talk about bad dialogue,take a look at Heroes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I liked the bit with the planes on the highway, and the pilots on the black box recorders mnetioning the different mushroom clouds over Topeka, KC and Denver - very cool. :)
    And I like the soundtrack - very intense.

I was a bit put out over the whole fallout thing. I mean we're told the rainstorm cloud from the direction of Denver. We know there was a mushroom in Denver hours before. And there's no radiation fallout in the rain or in amongst the dust in the wind :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

"I think there's someone on the other side!" (D'YA THINK!!?
    I'm not gonna spoiler it but ive heard people shout out the obvious plenty of times. Hell ive even done it. Its not that unusual.

There is some dodgy acting alright and i do enjoy the show but it better be going somewhere else i will prob loose interest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I've been watching it here in the US and I've been immensely enjoying it so far.

Just saw the 3rd episode. I'm really liking this show at the moment. Interesting to hear about the tanks and F16s,makes you wonder what is going on. And what is the story with the Hawkins? I presume he knew it was coming,but why is he in Jericho and what is he at in the basement!?

Heh, Dale has a myspace page

And there's a great discussion going on here if you're into nitpicking (which I am :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I wanna see the tanks and the F16s .. it's moving too slowly :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

Up to episode 2, episode 3 is taking its time coming down :(

But agree, it looks like a dodgy made to tv film [if that makes sense] Some of the landscape CGI is god awful [especially the kid on the roof]

But I am getting into it, not least the fact it fills the void left by Prison Break for a few weeks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Its passable nothing to get exicted about. The OC/angst soundtrack is destroying its credibility as a tension building piece of work.

Not the greatest episode tbh.

Stringing out the fuel plot device was just a tired / boring concept. And the whole OMG A SINGLE COULD BLOW IT UP BUT WE'RE GONNA STICK IT ON THE BACK OF OUR TRUCK ANYWAY bit was just lame.

Elsewhere, the line "they're not ready" from Hawkins in a previous episode makes sense now with his family having to learn a cover story. So they're a sleeper cell or something? And Victor and his family were supposed to rendevous with them? And what's with the laptop - Hawkins has satillite broadband? :rolleyes:

There's so much potential in this show, but it's been let down by weak writing. Almost seems like as Heroes is getting better, Jericho is declining.

I liked the episode. I agree Heroes is getting better but I still don't think its as good as Jericho.

Hawkins is still the most interesting character. What is he at? He has his family memorize a fake story of who they are. He knew the Victor guy,"they" have a traitor. Who are they? Gah! :p

Forgot to mention, remember when Jake was telling everyone he was in the Navy / Army / Minor League Baseball / Tracheotomy-with-a-juice-straw person / Bus Driver ?

If you see him after he steps out of the shower, he's wearing what looks like dogtags. So that means he must have some sort of military experience.

That, or he killed a soldier or sailor :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jericho got a full season order yesterday.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

SofaKing wrote:
    Hawkins has satillite broadband? :rolleyes:

indeed. wtf is that all about. the whole town is crippled, cant connect to the outside world when a broadband connection is possible

the weak writing will be this shows downfall

Mossy Monk wrote:
    indeed. wtf is that all about. the whole town is crippled, cant connect to the outside world when a broadband connection is possible

the weak writing will be this shows downfall

its weak writing. its obviously more than just a broadband connection. he must be military or ex,or something big. It seemed like he has an USB type device he puts into it. Perhaps he has access to a satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

I found episode 4 a but of a non event, a filler maybe, hopefully #5 will se it all off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭SoSueMe

TV3 will be showing it before the end of this year. With a full season renewal TV3 seem to have bought a hit show for a change.

Yeah.. this show is quickly boring me...

Haven't changed my opinion much since my last post... the writing is dire and acting is wooden.

Will give it another few episodes before i give up hope completely.

PS - 'Heroes' has quickly turned my opinion around.. loathed the pilot but episodes 2 and 3 were fantastic. The opposite could be said for 'Jericho'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

basquille wrote:
    Will give it another few episodes before i give up hope completely.
    likewise, there is plot development and then just plain sloooooow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I dont reley like posting in a post like this like ive said its stupid to have 1 topic per season each episode should have its own post. If each episode had its own post you would get more of a responce and it would allow you to post a poll aswell

But the end of episode 5 was very good looks like some sort of retillation strike by the US but against who...
    Also the episode name is Federal Responce

User45701 wrote:
    I dont reley like posting in a post like this like ive said its stupid to have 1 topic per season each episode should have its own post. If each episode had its own post you would get more of a responce and it would allow you to post a poll aswell
    Christ... give it a rest already! :rolleyes:

1 topic per episode only works if the show has its own forum - otherwise the TV forum will be filled with pointless polls.

If you want a forum, go ahead and request it.

By the way, Firefox 2 has a built in spell-checker.... (hint hint :))

Meh, polls are overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Initially i thought i'd get bored but even tho its moving along quite slowly i am very much enjoying the show.

moving very slowly. the whole thing is getting tedious now. i will give it one more week to get some bit exciting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Arctice

I live in Kansas (yes, the great empty flatness between the rockies and that vague thing off to the east know as "civilization"!), and I must say, that CGI landscape is about as false as it goes. NOWHERE in Kansas are the Rockies - or any sort of mountains - on the horizon. And trust me, Kansas has a big horizon. Let me Demonstrate:

______________________________________________|__________

That little blip off to the right is a tree! A rare block for the wonderful winds we get here.

Jericho is an interesting show, even if the dialogue sounds like it was spewed out of one of the family guy writers.

Please take note that Kansas after a nuclear explosion looks exactly like Kansas BEFORE a nuclear explosion, only with more mutants and glowing plants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Just barely enough action to keep the viewers intrested. The whole library fire was a pathetic attempt to fill the entire 5th episode. It could of easily progressed the storyline a lot further than it did. I'm beginning to question whether even the writers know what's going happen at this stage. And it's funny the recap of that episode encompasses the entire series in 60 seconds, cos that's just about all that has really happened! :confused:

• Advertisement

They're running it a bit like Lost. Snippets of stuff each episode (the handheld cam in episode 3, the asian broadcast in episode 4, the shot of the white house press room in episode 5...

I like it anyway, just enough is happening to hold my interest. I wonder what Hawkins is up to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

The acting is a bit wooden at times and the score is absolutely terrible, (a bit like some shi!te tv movie on tv3), but i like the actual story line that the show is taking. Granted, they do need to speed the action on a bit, i guess they did it some bit when they showed the ICBM's roaring overhead.
    Still very watchable, just what is Hawkins up to!!

The end of the most recent episode.. I like it ...

I just wish we could see these fighter jets, missles, tanks, devastation, etc. Even if it's the view from the ISS!

I am liking this show. Those who complain about slow moving plot,do you watch Lost as well? From the names,I think some do,and this show is moving faster than Lost and its only on its 5th episode.

What exactly is Hawkins up to? What was the passport thing about? The missiles at the end,where they retaliation by the US,were they Nukes? Interesting stuff. Also the press conference that seemed like it might happen means some of the government must be alive.

Although the dialogue and acting can be a bit bad at times,with certain characters,I am liking this show a lot.

tvnutz wrote:
    I am liking this show. Those who complain about slow moving plot,do you watch Lost as well? From the names,I think some do,and this show is moving faster than Lost and its only on its 5th episode.
    The difference is Lost is intriguing and interesting, whereas this... well, will i go on?! :D

Putting a hold on his passport prevents him from getting outta the country..

.. as it he wants to fly anywhere! :D

• Advertisement

@#Elites - it doesn't neccessarily mean a country attacked them ... look at Iraq and Afganistan (nah, let's not get into that one ...) .. just means they're blaming a country for it.

That, of course, or else some poor terrorist sitting in a hole somewhere is gonna get fried!

tvnutz wrote:
    Those who complain about slow moving plot,do you watch Lost as well?

no i don't but thanks for asking!!!!!

basquille wrote:
    The difference is Lost is intriguing and interesting, whereas this... well, will i go on?! :D

You know I am a big Lost fan,but the honest truth...I am getting fed up with it. Jericho has been far more interesting than the first 3 episodes of Lost this season. I am finding it much more intriguing trying to figure out who nuked them,what Hawkins is up to,what Jake was at,how much of the outsode world is actually there. On lost,we are asking the same things since season 1,and getting no answers.

ciaranfo wrote:
    @#Elites - it doesn't neccessarily mean a country attacked them ... look at Iraq and Afganistan (nah, let's not get into that one ...) .. just means they're blaming a country for it.

That, of course, or else some poor terrorist sitting in a hole somewhere is gonna get fried!

Ye,its possible they don't know exactly who attacked them,but since they were nearly wiped out,they decide to nuke Iran,Syria and N Korea just for the hell of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

basquille wrote:
    Me neither, too boring. Even a hot and sweaty Evagaeine Lily won't do the trick. :p

• Advertisement

That episode was absolutely terrible - come on, no-one can say they enjoyed that!

That scene with everyone harvesting the crop with THAT "music" - i thought i was watching 'Dr Quinn - Medicine Woman'.

What did we learn this week? Ah yes...absolutely f*ck all! :rolleyes:

Think Jericho has finally lost my interest.. and quickly became my least favourite new show of the season!

basquille wrote:
    That scene with everyone harvesting the crop with THAT "music" - i thought i was watching 'Dr Quinn - Medicine Woman'.

lol
    couldnt have put it better myself

and another week has gone by, Jericho is still a load of crap. fed up of seeing how Mr and Mrs Mayor are getting on. how about the whole thing with yer man and his wife, yawn. it is one of the worst shows i have seen in a long long time. i've given up on it

no way is is the worst show. I'm sorry,but that is a ridiculous statement. This weeks episode was absolute crap. I agree 100% there. The whole happy family small town crap was cringe worthy and we didn't learn anything new at all.

But overall,so far,it has been an enjoyable show. And in no way the worst show of the new season or one of the worst shows in a long time. There are a lot of interesting stories ready to pop,they just need to avoid episodes like this weeks. To be honest I have more interested in what Hawkins is up to,and who bombed America than I am about what the Others are up to on Lost. And thats strange. Its the way Jericho is presenting these questions in a more exciting way than Lost is with the others storyline. There are also several new shows and shows that have been running a few years that are pure rubbish. I am enjoying Jericho as a whole.

ooooooh 6 was a goodie lots of stuff. lots of stuff
    should be a great next episode problem is there is only 2 more episodes then thats it, either its the season finalie or elce they havent even started filiming the 2nd half and dont even have episode names up yet.
    What i want to know is why Hawkings has a nuke..........

Some hilarious comments on JumpTheShark.com for Jericho:
    When the town had a Barbecue after a half dozen or so cities were vaporized.

It's the best hour long comedy on network TV. I take exception at using Vanilla Ice cds for target practice, but the contrived stories and poor character development make for laugh out loud moments. The best laugh so far is when the guy dives behind a hay bale as another fellow fires a pistol-gripped pump action shot gun. Tune in each week for more of the improbable.

This is an incredibly stupid show that got it's science from Lost In Space. On the sixth episode a guy claims that Corn Husks protected his crop from fallout! That was it. I turned it off right then never to go back. First, it's a freaking Nuclear War, so everyone is going to die. Second, when the rain came from Denver, carrying fallout, they were all dead the minute it rained, but, the rain had no fallout! The acting is atrocious with no one acting like there's been a disaster at all. The one guy wants to jump the barmaid rather than his doctor wife, Skeet Ulrich has one expression and he looks like he's in hemorrhoid pain from it! Just a terrible, terrible, terrible idea, executed poorly. comments: Just a crap show that should be cancelled as soon as possible. Jumped the Shark in the first ep and kept jumping!

This show has been a trainwreck since the pilot. And, like a good train wreck, you cannot look away. I watch Jericho religiously because nowhere else on broadcast TV can you find such a satisfying combination of bad writing, bad acting, bad direction, all coupled with piss-poor pacing and a total dearth of realism and believability. Some famous philosopher once said "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" -- this rings as true as the Liberty Bell for Jericho. From hammy, nightclass-style acting to textbook high-school drama story arcs, Jericho has it all. And did I mention the fear-mongering, nuclear terrorism premise? Instead of zooming out to see how a nation is dealing with several dozen cities swathed in atomic hellfire, Jericho chooses instead to focus on how its namesake smalltown is handling (gasp!) a fire at the library, and (swoon!) the theft of the mayor's horses by area scofflaws. One last thing I might add is that Jericho contains the most unrealistic, hateable character in the history of primetime telvision: Gracie. As of episode 7, Gracie, a frail, grandmotherly Midwestern woman with a limited vocabulary and a horrific accent, is practicing her smalltown brand of price-gouging at her general store. She has also taken in an orphaned child for the purposes of slave labor, and has refused the town's largest farm bags of fertilizer needed to save the only corn crop that might feed Jericho. On lesser programs, she would quickly be overwhelmed by pitch-fork heaving townsfolk, her store inventory transferred to the mob or at least the collective good. But not in Jericho. Last time I checked, good old Gracie was trading a bag of cat food for someone's antique crystal vase. In many ways that is a metaphor for this show. While its ingredients -- mostly tripe, and some filler -- may resemble those of cat food, the producers have somehow managed to trade them for a peach of a show, watchable -- nay, unmissable -- because of the very self-atrocity lesser shows would be said to "suffer from."

Jericho majorly jumped the shark when they decorated the town square for HALLOWEEN!!! The premise of the show is the US is under attack. Several major metropolitan areas have been destroyed, yet as of last nights episode the residents of Jericho, virtually in the dark about what's happening, DECORATE THE TOWN SQUARE FOR HALLOWEEN!! These people have no idea what has happened around the world. They have no idea if their little hamlet will be attacked, nuked or invaded by a foreign enemy, yet they not only seek out pumpkins, they DECORATE! Come on!! The other issue I have with this show are all the subplots. WHO CARES IF HE LOVES HER OR SHE WANTS HIM?? This isn't Dynasty! I thought this was supposed to be about how a small Kansas town survives and deals with more than nuclear explosions and their aftermath!! I was so disappointed last night I actually changed the channel after 10 minutes!! What a shame to a potentially unique show! It's becoming cookie-cutter like most of the rest.

I switched off half way through this week's episode.. still utter crap!

The whole rain-carrying-no-Fallout-from-(nuked)-Denver plot thread was unforgiveable, tbh.

there are very few things that i would turn off mid-watch this isent one of them ill keep watching if only for the hawkings mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

if you can get past the "weener, can't get it up " soundtrack

SofaKing wrote:
    The whole rain-carrying-no-Fallout-from-(nuked)-Denver plot thread was unforgiveable, tbh.

Eh,I thought it did have fallout? That was why they all went hiding,in the mine etc.

And I'm not liking this whole gang from outside of town thing,with Dexter's dad...that was him right?

At least might might get good now they they are venturing outside of Jericho. It also appears it must have been terrorists. They said New York survived because they caught two guys before the flipped the switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Wasnt this show on sky AGGEES ago, i remamber i used to like it but it seemed to have dissapeared where and whens it on now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement