Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dexter [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Just discovered this show and spent the last 2 days catching up :) The story arc along with such well played and interesting characters puts Dexter into the same league as BSG and Sopranos imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just ordered myself from Kennys.ie (with free delivery):

Darkly Dreaming Dexter : EUR 5.98
    Dearly Devoted Dexter : EUR 9.03

Must.. resist.. reading.. to.. spoil.. it.. on.. myself! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Great episode again. The stuff between Dex and Rudi (it was rudi right?) the ice truck killer anyway, was all great. I loved the scene where they are packing up stuff in the house,cutting ropes with knives and using duct tape etc.

The whole thing with his father was interesting as well,we get some flashbacks that tell us a little but not a lot. I wonder why rudi killed Dex's biological father. is it possible him and dex are brothers?

and the poor old lady at the end :rolleyes:

Another fantastic episode again!

Loved Dexter's objection at where Doakes shot from.. "no.. if you shot from there, the blood would be going in that direction. Look at the spatter!" followed by Doake's "the man is a fúcking creep job!" .. classic! :D

In fact, this week's episode was full of KILLER lines (pun intended.. hyuk hyuk! :)).. "Oh good.. dancing!", "Since when did a death turn into a couple's weekend" etc.

The scenes between Dex and Rudy were fantastic.. so many lines of dialogue together hinting at the secret they share. And the final scene with Rudy closing the door of the old woman's home as the cable repair man. Fantastic!

Oh.. and did i mention at how much i love those opening titles and theme? Truly a show that just gets better and better with each episode.

PS - oh, and good to hear some CCR getting some airplay too.

Ye I love that song "have you ever seen the rain".

Doakes is hilarious when to comes to Dexter, "I'm watching you" :D

Great show...not too many eps left this season is there? :(

tvnutz wrote:
    Great show...not too many eps left this season is there? :(
    Just the 3... last episode is December 17th! :(

Then i'm starting on the books but hope the second series isn't based on the second book.. like to keep some mystery for the show.

But that kinda topic is exactly the type of thing that'll be brought up in interviews with creator near the end of the season i'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

This show just keeps getting better.

Mike

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Enjoying the show and love how Doakes reacts to Dexter, still the only person who really sees through his veneer of civility.

Liked the stuff about the Dad and at least it was made obvious
    that Rudy killed him in order to further his gameplan
    . Wasn't sure though that I liked Rudy's cableman stunt - seemed a bit too open to getting caught, a bit careless given how careful he's been. A bit cliched as well...

Wonder if we'll find out more about Dexter's father anytime this season - the source of his "problems"? Is it inherited or something more sinister?

The one question now is when is Darla's ex-hubbie going to die... Dexter can't let him live, he'll need to clean out this piece of garbage. Finale or before then?

ixoy wrote:
    The one question now is when is Darla's ex-hubbie going to die... Dexter can't let him live, he'll need to clean out this piece of garbage. Finale or before then?
    Yep. Each week during the recap at the beginning, we keep hearing those lines about Paul. I think Rita says "I want him out of my life" and Dexter says "he doesn't deserve to live!" or something like that

Seems obvious something's gonna happen.. but i'm betting it'll be the season finale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Agreed. This show just keeps getting better with each episode. I loved the scene with them bagging and cutting tape with the music kicking in the background. Good stuff. :)

I can't wait to find out what Rudy Iceman is up to. Is he just interested in another serial killer and curious as to how Dex operates and why he only kills bad people? Is he bored and just looking for something different OR is all of this leading up to something more? My guess is yes to the last question, based purely on the discovery of Dexter's biological father. I think they are linked somehow and can't wait to see more of the background between the two of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This is a great show, I only found out about it in the last few weeks but have caught up now. I was a bit disappointed when the doc turned out not to be a red herring, but then maybe it's better this way.

I ordered the books off Amazon last week to and they arrived yesterday. Started to read the first one last night. The TV show will be finished before I get up to even this stage in the book so I'm sure I won't spoil anything. There are little differences between book and TV but it's still pretty much the same story.

This last episode was excellent, really thought that Rudy was going to come clean to Dex and tell him who he was, but I get the feeling he's trying to figure out what Dex might do if he does. I can't see Paul lasting much longer either, especially after what he just did at the end of this episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Has there been any notice from any of the "home" stations (say on Sky Digital) that they're planning on bringing this show over. I think my dad would really enjoy it, and if it's going to be on over here in the new year, I can let him know.

According to DigitalSpy:
    .. will air in the UK on FX from the New Year.

Thanks, basquille

Right, just finished my Dexter marathon. 5 episodes I missed while I was away. Wow, just wow. I too hoped that the doc was a red herring, and for some reason, I was kinda focussing on Tucci (sp?) as a lead, at the least. He just seemed to be getting too much airtime - and then he got that hooker as a 'present' - doesn't the ice truck killer like to off hookers? Anyway, I guess he was there just to introduce the good doctor Rudy into the mix.

Gotta say, the twist at the end where the old biddy recognised Rudy was from out of nowhere for me. So Rudy knew Dex's da? The brother thing is a possibility. Did Dex's dad set Rudy on him as some sort of revenge? What happened 30 years ago? (there was some speculation in the house that he had just "started again" about 30 years ago...)

Top show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I think it will go down at the end of the next episode or something,

The doc will just say something like
    "Hey Dex, You wan`a to grab a cold one"
    Then dexters eyes just widen and the episode ends - or something very similar anyway.

Also there is only 3 more episodes :(

• Advertisement

Ok,its official,this is by far the best new show this year,and probably better then the majoirty of shows on tv at the moment (bar maybe the wire). Heroes is good,but this show just has such a unique blend of drama,extreme weirdness,comedy.

this episode was great. When rudi kept asking about dex i couldn't stop laughing.

and i need to go play football so i don't have time to say much more...brilliant episode though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Top class episode again. The way Dexter sorted out the Paul problem was so cool :) The hooker with the painted nails tho was a bit of a stretch seeing as how craptastic it looks.

Agree with tvnutz.. the best new show this year by a mile, no question.. after that episode alone!

Lots to talk about..

Firstly, Dexter's face after striking Paul with the frying pan was classic. Hmmmmm.. Paul definitely isn't gonna take that lying down. Things won't go down pretty when he's inevitably released on parole.. which he will be judging by the fact we learned he was a model prisoner (early parole etc) in this episode. His rights regarding Rita and his kids will probably be severed.. but what he'll do to Dexter will be completely up to him. Loved Dexter's justice by not actually killing him though.

Debs annoyed the arse off me yet again in this episode. And it looks like Doakes has a bit of a thing for her. But in comes Rudy to ruin his chances.. things won't end well there. The whole "i love you" exchange will make the showdown between Dex and Rudy even more complicated!

And Angel finally got too close to Rudy.. things weren't looking good for him. That whole blurred camera-view perspective never bodes well in these type of shows!

I have to say those final scenes with the murder of Dexter's mother absolutely chilling. Think it was the sound of Dexter screaming alongside the wailing chainsaw and his mother's pleads but..

** shudder **

Anyways.. only two more episodes left! :(

PS - more fantastic exchanges between Dex and Doakes:

Debs: "Dexter.. just a heads up, it's bad in there!"
    Dexter: "OK"
    Debs: "I'm serious!"
    Dexter: "OK"
    Doakes: "She's not kidding, it's your wet dream in there!"
    Dexter: "... OK"

Doakes: "Morgan.. get your ass over here!"
    Dexter: "Ass en-route!"

Was a brillent episode i am thinking of skiping next weeks and then watching both of them in 2 weeks, would be some good viewing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Holy motherF*CK.
    Spent the last few days on a marathon watching this and yes, put my vote in as best show of the year. an excellent blend, of tension, dark comedy and brilliant script.

To think there's only 2 more episodes left....hope angel makes it through :(
    basquille wrote:
    I have to say those final scenes with the murder of Dexter's mother absolutely chilling. Think it was the sound of Dexter screaming alongside the wailing chainsaw and his mother's pleads but..

** shudder **

who else was getting slashed there? seeing as his dad survived, and she was still alive as your man (a burly biker looking guy - drugs?) was chainsawing up another body. was it a sibling?

sweet mother of god this stuff is like crack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

basquille wrote:
    Paul definitely isn't gonna take that lying down. Things won't go down pretty when he's inevitably released on parole.. which he will be judging by the fact we learned he was a model prisoner (early parole etc) in this episode. His rights regarding Rita and his kids will probably be severed.. but what he'll do to Dexter will be completely up to him. Loved Dexter's justice by not actually killing him though.

She said he violated the three strike rule which means he doesn't qualify for parole, afaik

valor wrote:
    She said he violated the three strike rule which means he doesn't qualify for parole, afaik

ye I think she mentioned he would be in jail for the rest of his life. Drug use/possesion and possesion of a weapon when on parole...not a good thing!

Yup, he gets life in prison so it's bye bye for him unless he escapes of course. :) This just keeps getting better and better. I was cringing so much when Rudy picked up the chisel and started walking towards Angel. NOOOOOOOO!!!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Another fabulous episode, definitely best new show of the year. Only bettered by The Wire, which I finished watching last night too, but that's a completely different style of show.

Some great scenes in this one, Angel and Dr. Killer in the room together. Liked the way the Doc said "I'll just get the door" as soon as Angel mentioned he was investigating a lead. Still don't see why Rudy attacked him later after letting him go in the office. Nice to see all the nail polish there too.

Dexter hitting Paul with the frying pan. I didn't think it was real at first, thought it might be Dex day dreaming or something. Then I realised it was real with the look on his face.

The final scenes with baby Dexter and the slasher in the room was quite chilling. Why didn't he guy kill Dex as well though, and who else was in the room? Hopefully we'll see more of this later.
    And it looks like Doakes has a bit of a thing for her.
    Thought that was a bit obvious since about the 2nd episode.

The outlook doesn't look good for Angel now either. I'm half tempted to look up IMDB to see how many episodes he's credited in, but I'm not going to ruin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Just after watching all the episodes over the last few days and its fantastic. Really hope they bring this story to an end over the last 2 episodes though, don't want it to end up like every other series around ¬_¬

jor el wrote:
    Dexter hitting Paul with the frying pan. I didn't think it was real at first, thought it might be Dex day dreaming or something. Then I realised it was real with the look on his face.
    Pretty sure that's the first time I've ever giggled right after a man gets hit across the head with a frying pan - Michael C Hall's "oh sh*t" face was just so good.

(...and I'm including Reeves and Mortimer in that...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Another excellent episode. Fairly predictable in places but great acting, great story progression and tense most of the way through.

Can't wait for the finale now >_<

Yep, have moved apartment and am without broadband but went back home last night to get Dex (and the first of my CDWOW deliveries).

A tad predictable in places but the acting and genuine tension in the episode made up for it.

I knew as soon as i heard Angel was make it that they'd get something regarding the fat lip Angel gave Rudy.

Finale should be fantastic. The real question is my mind regarding the finale is: will the face-off between Dex and Rudy go down when Deb is still unconscious? Because surely both Rudy and Dexter's little secrets will come to full discussion and Deb probably shouldn't hear about Dexter's night-time activities.

PS - am reading the book and in it, he's always referring to his hunger to kill as his "Dark Passenger", and i think last night's episode was the first time i mentioned in dialogue. Could be wrong though!

It was a bit predictable alright, but extremely tense.
    Anyone notice that Dex hasn't killed either this episode or the last? Think the writer is trying to humanize him?
    I dunno, i hope Rudy doesnt die, yet it'd be so cool to see him wrapped in cling film :/
    cannot wait till next monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I am worried that the show will end with Dexter being 'fixed'

We see this with him in theraphy, his closness to Rita and the kids,
    to his sister and the facing up with what happened to him as a child,
    even down to this is why I don't feel for then I have to feel this.

or killed by Sergeant Doakes

We have seen what Doakes will do to those he considers monsters,
    he has been watching Dexter and we had the start of a proper confrontation
    after many pointed and probing remarks.

or kills himself having broken the code of Harry.

How much longer will Dexter hang on to the code with his image and perception of Harry starting to crumble.
    We already had the example of the teen killer killing himself and that being an example to Dexter.

I would like to see a confrontation with Ruddy with Debs trussed up like one of
    Dexters victums and see how it plays out.

Now that Ruddy has Debs hopefully Dexter will now take the time to research him properly as he was too caught up in the romantism of the ice truck killer and the connection to make it real.

• Advertisement

Brilliant episode again,so tense. Loving this show,pity its ending next week,at least it got a second season I suppose! :)

Ah ****!
    i am so pissed off, i didn't watch this until tonite because i knew it would be a horrible cliff hanger so i said to my mates lets not watch it till next monday and we will have 2 straight hours but my mates convinced me to watch it tonite... basterds i hate cliff hangers

But anyway fantastic episode absolutely brilliant i relay do love this show but i don't know why he would want to kill her like dexter i was on the assumption that rodney only wanted to play...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thaedydal: This series is based on the first of Jeff Lindsay's Dexter books (there are 2 out, with a third on the way), so there is NO WAY Dex is getting fixed (or killed off) :)

especially seeing as there'll be a season 2. yipee!

User45701 wrote:
    i was on the assumption that rodney only wanted to play...
    Stargate on the brain, dude... its Rudy, not Rodney! :)

lol TMB cheers for that i just watched SGA 315 before they convinced me to watch dexter. well spotted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

TmB wrote:
    Thaedydal: This series is based on the first of Jeff Lindsay's Dexter books (there are 2 out, with a third on the way), so there is NO WAY Dex is getting fixed (or killed off) :)

Hurrah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I just got into this show fairly recently; watching an episode or two a day to catch up (which has the side effect of putting Dexter's narrated thought process in your own head). And now that I've caught up, there's a cliffhanger and I have my longest wait between episodes! :rolleyes:

It's a good show. Even the annoying characters grow on you.

I wonder if UK&Ireland TV stations wil be holding off on Dexter (assuming any had plans for it) because of the Suffolk serial killer?

Great finale! and now no more Dexter until October 2007 apparantly. :(

I knew Rudy/Brian would turn out to be Dex's brother. I said it to a friend mid way through the season. Having Dex kill his own brother at the end was an amazing scene. The one person that could accept who he is etc etc...

Loved the Dex versus Doakes fight,and Doakes tailing him. That should be a good storyline next season.

Loved the closing scene where he imagined everyone cheering for him.

Great show. A cert for my dvd collection when it comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Amazingly good series. I didn't see the that he was his brother till their mom said the "wheres ur bro hiding" but i guess by then everyone did :p

Great show, been recomending it to everyone i've spoken to.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent show and a brilliant season performance by Michael C. Hall. Sure it was obvious that he was Dexter's brother for a while now given the info he knew and the connection he felt to Dexter, but it felt quite right. I loved how Dexter questioned whether to kill Debbie or not and even had regrets about how he treated Rudy/Brian.

Doakes - used to dislike him but now think he's great. Loved the final scene with him and how he was proven ever more right by his hunches.

Didn't care too much for the shoe at the last minute - bit too contrived. Still could make an interesting plot line next season.

Really enjoyed this season and the only downside was that some of the turns were a little too obvious. Made up for by the cast and general feel of the show though.

I thought it was an amazing series the best new series out so far, much better than heroes.
    I thought the final scene was very funny myself and i loved the way the sis acted when dexter was being accused.

Yep, can't help but re-iterate what's already been said. A phenomenal series which should get Michael C Hall at least an Emmy for his performance. Amazing!

Though the reveal of Rudy (or "Briny") as Dex's brother was very well done.. though we all somewhat suspected it. It was still done in quite an effective fashion.

To be honest, the only moment that felt a bit out-of-place in it was the Dexter praise moment closing the episode. Suppose it was just that i didn't think Dexter thought of himself as a hero (as he was simply fulfilling his urges / Dark Passenger) but was still quite a funny way to end it.

Looking forward to season 2 and i'll gladly add this to my DVD Collection.

As everyone has said this is a must own on DVD and with a surge of DVD sales there is a higher chance of season 2 or 3 being a 24 or 26 episode season.

I wonder how the first 3 or 4 episodes of season 2 will be
    the way i see it is it is far too soon to rush into another story arc so it will likley just deal with dex and Rita, dex being followed by Doakes and the change in the departments leadership....
    Also dex can get back to what he likes best getting rid of people that need to be gotten rid off

User45701 wrote:
    As everyone has said this is a must own on DVD and with a surge of DVD sales there is a higher chance of season 2 or 3 being a 24 or 26 episode season.
    Don't think any single season of a Showtime production has ran over 13 episodes.. correct me if i'm wrong though!

• Advertisement

12 episodes for Dexter is perfect.
    I'd be afraid that any more than that would dilute everything and make it less enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Brilliant ending, story very nicely done.

Something I liked about the episodes was how when he's talking in his head you can clearly see that this guy isn't human. Last 3 episodes I thought he was becoming more human but after the ending this clearly isn't the case. He's a pure monster.

Hope it gets a second season. DVD set here I come.

Second season already commissioned, Hobbes. Next October!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Yeah great ending to a great season.. Michael C. Hall is a class actor, hopefully he will get rewarded as such with an Emmy.

I kinda got ideas that Rudy could possibly be Dexters brother a few eps back, but rubbished them as that would be too far out and whack, but it worked out as such and very effectively.
    Where are they going to go with it in the next season, now he has three people who are going to question who Dexter really is, ie Rita, Ritas ex and Doakes. And his relationship with Doakes should be very interesting, as it seems that Doakes is after Deb

Dexter is THE best T.V program I've seen in a long time regardless of it not being aired here across the pond(yet??). Michael C Hall most definitely deserves an Emmy imo. He is so believable as a serial killer that it's frightening even when he's cracking his light hearted messed up jokes.

I absolutely cannot wait for the second series of this! At first I thought it wouldn't be doable because they've done it all but in the last 2 episodes or so they've managed to give me faith in where they can go with it, especially with Doakes being almost positive that there's just something not right about Dexter. It's gonna be gooood stuff! :cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement