Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dexter [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Great season, October seems so far away now :(

Has anyone read the next book? Is there any word on whether the second season will follow it as closely as the first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

'Dexter' Slays Showtime Records
    Season finale bags better than 1 million viewers

Last week was a pretty good one for Michael C. Hall and his Showtime series "Dexter."

On Tuesday, Hall was nominated for a Golden Globe for his performance in the show's title role as the crime-scene analyst/serial killer. Then on Sunday, "Dexter's" first-season finale became the most-watched original series telecast on Showtime in at least two years.

The finale drew an audience of 1.1 million people, which Showtime says is the biggest for an original series since 2004, when Nielsen started separating the channel's ratings from Showtime Plex, the package of Showtime channels offered by most cable and satellite systems.

Showtime is notoriously circumspect about revealing its ratings numbers, but since the heyday of "Queer As Folk" it's been rare that a series has topped a million viewers. And considering Showtime has fewer than 20 million subscribers, a million viewers is a pretty solid performance.

The ratings for the finale are also significantly better than those for the show's October premiere, which drew slightly more than 600,000 viewers.

Showtime has already renewed "Dexter" for a second season, with production scheduled to begin in the spring.

Linky

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Great to see it's getting a good audience on the channel. It's disheartening to see the amount of quality shows that get overlooked so to see one make it is refreshing.

While I'm at it: Michael C. Hall. Emmy and Golden Globe!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Superb gripping stuff!! Best new series I have seen in a long time, strong cast especially Hall in the leading role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Started watching the series again with the girlfriend who missed it first time round. It's even better on repeated viewings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Got the first 12 episodes on recommendations from basquille (thanks mate). On ep 9 and I'm nearly crying it's nearly over. Best TV ever. Better than Soprano's, lost, heros imo.

daveg wrote:
    Got the first 12 episodes on recommendations from basquille (thanks mate).
    Glad you enjoyed.. watched them in completion a second time and loved it even more.

Currently mid-way through the first book.. don't make the same mistake i did and presume just because you saw the first series, it'd be fine to start the second book.

There are a good few important plot details / twists revealed at the beginning of the second book which were uncovered late in the first book.

Book is very well written though.

PS - one thing that comes through in the books which is quite the opposite in the show is that Dexter sometimes eggs on LaGuerta's flirting towards him. As opposed to in the show where Dexter appears disgusted at every eye LaGuerta throws him.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

Fantastic show, only gave it a chance because of reviews here. Was sure it was his sister doing it for most of season striving for fathers approval.

Question whats the verdict here. Is Dexter a good guy or a bad guy. Do we like him or dislike him?
    Fact is hes an unstable psycho who without his fathers rules would be deserving of the faith he gives to many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Compak wrote:
    Fantastic show, only gave it a chance because of reviews here. Was sure it was his sister doing it for most of season striving for fathers approval.

Question whats the verdict here. Is Dexter a good guy or a bad guy. Do we like him or dislike him?
    Fact is hes an unstable psycho who without his fathers rules would be deserving of the faith he gives to many.

Well m not too sure but since people are judged by there actions dexters actions are ok to me, i don't believe in trusting our "system" because it is flawed.
    What dexter does is wrong and evil to some ye but i have no problem with his actions

Compak wrote:

Personally I think he;s a good guy. He extracts that vigilantly retribution we always sometimes wish we could do. A lot has to do with Michael C Halls acting though. He is superb. Tops his six feet under performances.

• Advertisement

basquille wrote:
    Just ordered myself from Kennys.ie (with free delivery):

Darkly Dreaming Dexter : EUR 5.98
    Dearly Devoted Dexter : EUR 9.03

Must.. resist.. reading.. to.. spoil.. it.. on.. myself! :D

Thanks basquille. Saved me trawling the web to find the cheapest price :) I've ordered both to quell my addiction once I've watched my last 2 episodes :( How will I last till next October :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

I've read both the first two books. If im honest i thought the series was better than the first book. I didn't like the ending of the book as much and wasn't as well done. Maybe i just was set in my ways after watching the series, i dunno.

Second book was great tho, and am wondering how closely new series will follow it too. Cant wait :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

great show have to admit. Watched the whole season through a couple of months ago and loved every minute of it.

The opening credits and music have to be the best from any show i've ever seen.

I didn't know there was plans for a second season until I read this thread. I thought they tied it up pretty well at the end of this season.

I wonder if they'll be able to keep the sense of shock and discovery that kept me fixated for this season with season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Season 1 was based on the first Dexter book (with lots of extra stuff added in).

If they follow the story of the second book for season 2, it could be alot of fun.... (not to mention very gruesome).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

TmB wrote:
    If they follow the story of the second book for season 2, it could be alot of fun.... (not to mention very gruesome).

excellent! *rubs hands together in a Mr. Burns-esque manner*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Any word on when it'll be shown on Irish tv yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

TmB wrote:

I heard it wasn't going to be based on the second book.

Its not based on the book, season 2 is a orginal story
    and i a really looking forward to it only 124 more days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Stark wrote:
    I heard it wasn't going to be based on the second book.

No!? Where'd you hear that? It's a pity if it's true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

No!? Where'd you hear that? It's a pity if it's true.
    It was never an option, really, as the first season of the show ends completely differently to the first book. Dex doesn't kill his bro in the book, but he does in the series. Some other characters die in the book too, that are left alive in the show. It just wouldn't have worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

In this month Empire mag there's 2 sidebars advertising Dexter "coming to FX in July". And on FX when they show the red FX searchlight logo before they come back from commercials it quickly flashes to the dexter logo with blood splatter. Exciting stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

jamc wrote:
    In this month Empire mag there's 2 sidebars advertising Dexter "coming to FX in July". And on FX when they show the red FX searchlight logo before they come back from commercials it quickly flashes to the dexter logo with blood splatter. Exciting stuff.

It is scheduled to start on July 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

what kind of 5uckers write about dexter?? so sad

Eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Grammer, spelling, capital letters, intelligence. Any of these ring a bell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Dexter was originally a novel before a tv series.
    So I guess the sucker who created him in the first place?

This has just popped up on my TV RSS feed widget on my DashBoard:

(see bottom of the listing... sorry, no image editor at hand to draw an arrow or anything)

picture1ap9.png

yup ive know about that for a while, cant wait i hear seaosn 2 has some big shockers...

Can't wait :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Fantastic show! Watched the first season months ago and was hooked.
    Im liking Traveler a lot now :D The first 4 episodes were excellent.

Yeah, traveler is getting good, isn't it?
    Lets hope it goes the distance...

Yep.. last 2 of Traveler were some good telly!

Cannae wait for 'Dexter' though!

I caught up on Traveler there a few days ago,watched eps 2-5. I heard there are only 8 in the season? And ratings indicate that will be it. Pity because it has been very good. Hopefully they will tie everything up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Love this show. I think I ate thru the 12 eps in about a week and it has to probably be the best thing I've seen come out of USA since Dead Like Me 4 years ago.

I'm trying to get more people into Dexter and I'm sure some of you (as I have) been met with "Oh, Dexters Laboratory?" when you mention the show in conversation. I'd like to avoid that instant misconception and as such I think youtube could be the answer. So could anyone reccomend a youtube clip that would best get across the 'idea'/format of the show across to the uninitiated? The kind of people I'm talking about would be fans of the film version of American Psycho so anything in that vein would be especially good.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Pigman II wrote:
    Love this show. I think I ate thru the 12 eps in about a week and it has to probably be the best thing I've seen come out of USA since Dead Like Me 4 years ago.

I'm trying to get more people into Dexter and I'm sure some of you (as I have) been met with "Oh, Dexters Laboratory?" when you mention the show in conversation. I'd like to avoid that instant misconception and as such I think youtube could be the answer. So could anyone reccomend a youtube clip that would best get across the 'idea'/format of the show across to the uninitiated?

Yep... Always seem to get the Dexter's Laboratory reply...

Anyway, I think this is a good clip that gives you an idea of the show.

Rewatched all of Dexter over the past few days. It really is the amazing television. I'm counting down the days till season two starts. Roll on September 30th.

As for Traveler, I've watched the first four episodes and love it. Shame that ratings are so poor. I would have liked to see how the story would have played out if the series was picked up for another season. Hopefully the eight episodes we get will wrap the story up and not end on a cliff hanger which willnever be resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yep... Always seem to get the Dexter's Laboratory reply...

Anyway, I think this is a good clip that gives you an idea of the show.

Good choice. Thanks Karl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Anyone seen any of series 2?
    it's damn sweet.

i thought i'd post here rather than making a new thread?

doonothing wrote: »
    Anyone seen any of series 2?
    it's damn sweet.

i thought i'd post here rather than making a new thread?

Yep - a good few of us saw the first two episodes several months ago when preview screenings were leaked. That's why there's been little talk about it. Expect it to pick up on Monday when we all get our hands on new stuff :)

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    Expect it to pick up on Monday when we all get our hands on new stuff :)
    YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Any idea on a fx season 2 screen date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Dexter is amazing and I'd like to thank whoever it was (Basquille ??) who advised people to watch it on the what to watch next thread in the Heroes Forum.

Thanks!

Oh, I watched 2x01 and it's very very good. Thank god for that! :D

ixoy wrote: »
    Expect it to pick up on Monday when we all get our hands on new stuff :)

Dexter - 2x03 - An Inconvenient Lie

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Can't wait for tonight when I get my American cousin to send it "priority".

BTW thanks a million basquille for the original tip about this series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

God how i missed this show.

Episode was absoultely superb! (as always)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

"Still I wish my own sister wasn't hunting me - makes for an awkward family dynamic."

Those deadpan one-liners are great :D.

What a great episode. Loved it from start to finish. I could go into every scene but you watched it,you know how good it was! Maybe it is because it has been a while since I saw the first two episodes and this seemed like another season premiere,but I thought it was just such a brilliant episode. If the rest of the season is as good we are in for some great TV :D

Twas good alright.. they're slowly getting closer to Dexter.

Anyone else get the distinct feeling Lyla might be in the programme for a similar reason to Dexter? It might just be me overthinking things but she knew all about the "Dark Passenger" and such.

I enjoyed it and Michael C. Hall is superb as ever, but there's a couple of things I didn't like:

1) Doakes laying off of Dexter! He was far too ready to accept drink/drugs from the guy who he thinks is a freak and now he'll quit haunting him? NO

2) The deductive leap that he was killing people with a crime record. Too convenient that Debbie would make that assumptive leap amidst all those records.

Oh and I had just watched "Michael Clayton" tonight and Angel was in it. "Chuck" tomorrow will probably have Vince and just last week, when watching "The Unit", we had the Psycho Car Salesman in a 3-episode role.

• Advertisement

The cop stuff was always the weak point of the show I thought.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement