Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Disk Problems

Options
  • 04-10-2006 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

I've got a usb disk that my pc wont recognise but is being recognised by the mac? I did have it working on my pc some time ago but no joy now. I've tried the disk in a friends pc but again the pc wont recognise it. Any ideas on why the mac has no problems picking it up but the pc not liking it?

Lister

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Drive letter assignment conflict perhaps ? though that shouldn't really affect the two PC's but it worth checking.

Go into Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management

Now see if the drive is present and if so assign it a new drive letter and see if it reappears in the system.

If that doesn't work could something have changed or happened to it with the Mac did you format the drive in the Mac at some point it may have put a different file system on the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

The drive isnt even showing up under the disk management tab. My gf was using it in the mac in college. I haven't seen the proof that it works with it but she is adament that it does...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Have a look under Device Manager (see if there are any exclamation marks under any of the USB controllers) in the System applet on Control Panel. Is there any LED indicators on it or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Device manager shows no errors. The light comes on the led when i wobble it a bit but doesnt stay on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

It could simply be a dodgy USB connection on your device... a hardware issue.

But whenever I have USB device issues, there is a last resort which tends to work.

Go to the device manager, under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers",
    and remove all the "USB Root hub" entries.
    You will lose your USB mouse after that.

Remove your usb device.
    Reboot your machine when you've removed the roob hub entries, and Windows will autodetect them again.
    Now install the driver for the USB device ( if you have a driver for it )

Only then.. can you plug your device back in... when Windows already has the driver for it.

That should fix any software issue.... but I suspect it's a hardware issue.

regards,
    Owen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Is it formatted Mac? Have a look at the disk in the Mac disk utility. It will show you how the disk is formatted. If it is Mac formatted copy your files to your hard disk the format and finally recopy the files to the media.

Advertisement