Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budgie problem - large cere?

Options
  • 04-10-2006 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

My Budgie's cere seems to be getting gradually larger. Does anyone know if this is harmful? Pictures attached (it's a hen)

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I think your little girl needs a trip to the vet soon as possible.
    What age is she?

Important to bring her to the vet though as the malformation may be affecting her breathing, or ability to open her beak in comfort.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CK.1

Hi Frank,

thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how old she is, probably 2 or 3. I found a few sites that mention the condition brown hypertrophy of the cere, it looks like this is what she has. Most of them seem to think that it is harmless once the nostrils are not blocked. I don't want to stress her out with an unnecessary trip to the vet. (She is a narky little bitch also and does not like being handled at all!!). One site said it can be caused by a lack of vitamin A. Do you know much about it?
    Some hens will develop brown hypertrophy of the cere, a thickening of the cere that is considered normal, however, for cosmetic reasons, an avian veterinarian can carefully peel off the excessive growth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Bring her to the vet. You won't know for certain otherwise what's wrong with her. My cat had a fit once which is a symptom of epilepsy but she was actually poisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Take the bird to the vet straight away birds go downhill fast, don't worry about the stress of it she will be fine, all animals or at least 99% of them get stressed at the vets. Hens can be narky but they are also tough cookies.
    Take her to a vet that knows birds eg B OMalley in Bray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CK.1

Update: brought her to the vet and looks like I was right, it's brown hypertrophy. Vet said it is not harmful and is beat left alone. Just have to keep an eye on her and make sure the nostrils don't get blocked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement