Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University/College in Dublin Question...

Options
  • 04-10-2006 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi all. I am currently trying to sort this situation out with the Admissions office of a school in Dublin.... but a friend recommended I post here after I discussed my situation with him. I have a rather unusual past when it comes to academic history. here's the backstory...

I am currently 24.
    I live in New York City.
    I have worked various IT jobs in the past several years.
    My father put me on the Irish birth registry prior to 1986, and I am therefore able to claim Irish citizenship if I so choose.
    I graduated highschool from the American Highschool in Sao Paulo Brasil with a Southern (United) States Highschool Diploma and at least one HL IB certificate, though this was almost 7 years ago now...
    I have never had any formal schooling in the EU.

I had inquired to a certain unnamed schools admissions office which admissions forms I should fill out. They asked me several questions about my past education and quickly confirmed I was an "International Student". I am not sure they took into account my age and work experience when I discussed this with them. So before I go back to them and possibly make myself look foolish I wanted to know if I qualified as a mature student despite not having had an education in the EU. I think as a mature student my application might make a heck of a lot more sense than 7 year old test scores and grades in a foreign country.

So I suppose my question to you folks is... am I considered a mature student when applying to university in dublin?

Any other helpful suggestions are also welcome.

Oh and this is my first post to boards.ie. Hi all!

-Matt Joyce

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Hi,

Welcome to boards,I am going to move this thread over to the Mature & Non-Traditional Students forum as you will get a better response there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Read this link. There is a lot of information there and it may be of some use. Generally, it seems to be better if you can meet in person with somebody from the college in question. There are a few regular contributors here who may know exactly what to do. Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 openfly

Thanks for the move! Hopefully someone might be able to help me figure this out. I'll post again if I figure it out on my own.

Advertisement