Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hate international week

• 04-10-2006 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭

Probably due to the pitifull state of the Irish team , but i miss club football when it is off for the week for Inernational matches -- missed watching a champions league match this week , and following Everton , and even Sunderlands results -- why do they have international football even before season kicks off -- Mr. Blatter flexing his muscles me thinks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Could not agree more. Had a nightmare week in the Fantasy League there last week and now I've to wait ages to put it right.

There's no game at that level that interests me anymore. Give me domestic football, both English and Irish, anyday (except maybe the World Cup).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Guess what theres a league in this country wow and there are fixtures on from tommorow onwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

great. maybe if i wish hard enough a club will appear in my home town

The English Leagues arent in your hometown either....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

but at least i can watch them more regularly than the Eircom League

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Yeh sure. The cure.

How in the hell am i going to get to waterford for 7.45 pm ? (To watch shels)

Jaysus it take that long to bus home from citywest!

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Xavi6 wrote:
    Give me domestic football, both English and Irish, anyday
    Bu there is League of Ireland matches on this weekend.
    Xavi6 wrote:
    (except maybe the World Cup).
    So you want the World Cup to take place without qualifications?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

For me the Champions league has blown apart international football --
    give me Barcelona v Chelsea or Man Utd. v Celtic anyday over
    Ireland v Cyprus or England v Macedonia --
    cant stand listening to Staunton and McLaren , give me Martin O'Neil or Arsene Wegner or Mourinho anyday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

BaZmO* wrote:
    Bu there is League of Ireland matches on this weekend.

Coure I know there are Irish League games. My regular trips to Tolka, and the one I made to Derry the other week, make sure I keep up to date with the goings on of our national league.

When did I say it should take place without qualifications? All I said was that I find the qualifiers boring. just because they are a necessity doesn't mean I have to enjoy them. Although maybe if the names of the qualifying teams were picked out of a hat we might make it through....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

thebaz - if we were up there with the best in the world would you still be supporting Ireland as much as ever? Of course you would. You can't pick and choose when you want to support the national team so if you're losing interest now don't come back when we're on the way back up again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

eirebhoy wrote:
    thebaz - if we were up there with the best in the world would you still be supporting Ireland as much as ever? Of course you would. You can't pick and choose when you want to support the national team so if you're losing interest now don't come back when we're on the way back up again. :)

ah some people treat it like a film/tv series. if the first episode is good, ya like it. if the second isnt, ya dont like it....if the third is okay, your satisfied. I personally stay loyal, think and thin kinda thing...but others want to be entertained,and theyre happy when they are entertained. There is nothing wrong with that. Glory hunters - ah maybe, but still nothing wrong with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I don't understand how people can "hate" competitive internatioanal games.

When it comes down to it, I don't even understand how people can parallel competitive internationals with club football. I would consider myself a big Liverpool fan, but first and foremost I'm an Ireland fan.

I'll be watching the game on Saturday from a pub or my house with a few beers, and the feeling you get can't be matched by club football. Never will you get to be in a packed room where every single person wants the same thing. Plenty of people I know who are without a big interest in football turn out to see Ireland games, and shout their hearts out.

I'm dying for these games, even more so that we are not in great shape. I don't know what to expect, but it's at times like this that the fans are the most important and need to get behind the team, because it's plain for anyone to see that we need all the help we can get.

It disappoints me to hear of people shunning their own national team for the glamour and glory of the CL, or because the manager didn't pick a player from the local league.

But as is life, I'll be doing my best to make up for your absence come 1730 on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

When it comes down to it, I don't even understand how people can parallel competitive internationals with club football. I would consider myself a big Liverpool fan, but first and foremost I'm an Ireland fan.

I'll be watching the game on Saturday from a pub or my house with a few beers, and the feeling you get can't be matched by club football. Never will you get to be in a packed room where every single person wants the same thing. Plenty of people I know who are without a big interest in football turn out to see Ireland games, and shout their hearts out.

I'm dying for these games, even more so that we are not in great shape. I don't know what to expect, but it's at times like this that the fans are the most important and need to get behind the team, because it's plain for anyone to see that we need all the help we can get.

It disappoints me to hear of people shunning their own national team for the glamour and glory of the CL, or because the manager didn't pick a player from the local league.

But as is life, I'll be doing my best to make up for your absence come 1730 on Saturday.

Ditto that. Always enjoy an Ireland match more than club football, whether it's in the pub, at home or Lansdowne. And especially love the away fixtures, can't beat going away with the lads for a solid week of drinking follwed by watching Ireland. Roll on San Marino :D

Xavi6 wrote:
    Coure I know there are Irish League games. My regular trips to Tolka, and the one I made to Derry the other week, make sure I keep up to date with the goings on of our national league.
    The only reason why I said that there were LOI matches on this week is because the point of the OP's post was that International week fecks up club football (with them not being on) to which you said that you prefer club football over International matches and as seen as there's LOI matches on this week you'll get your fix.

Xavi6 wrote:
    When did I say it should take place without qualifications?
    Well in fairness, you can't have one without the other.

eirebhoy wrote:

I'll be waiting a long time before we are on the way back -- i have no affinity or interest with the current bunch of muppets -- as stated before they are not fit to wear the jersey of McGrath , Roy Keane , Townsend , Houghton etc etc . its not the fact that they haven't the ability, its the fact that some of these average players don't try -- i have watched Ireland home and away eneogh, to have an opinion , and when i see effort , i will regain my interest.

Couldn't agree more. You have me all excited about Saturday now. :D

thebaz, it appears to me that this "lack of effort" excuse is getting bandied about quite a bit. It's a load of crap if you ask me. :)

When it comes down to it, I don't even understand how people can parallel competitive internationals with club football. I would consider myself a big Liverpool fan, but first and foremost I'm an Ireland fan

Disagree with you to some extent as it does mean as much to me when my club wins , maybe thats because like when Ireland win for me its a place thing not just some team i picked at random.

eirebhoy wrote:
    thebaz, it appears to me that this "lack of effort" excuse is getting bandied about quite a bit. It's a load of crap if you ask me. :)

Heres a list of current and recent internationals who do not make use of there ability , and for me in a word are lazy :-

John O'Shea
    Keith O'Neill
    Robbie Keane
    Clinton Morrison
    Liam Miller
    Andy Reid
    David Connolly
    Phil Babb (The Godfather of the loafers)

Some of them like Morrison are not even good players, and most of them are happy eneough to pull in a 20 grand a week salary, and then come over for an international for a bit of a piss up , and pick up a bit of skirt in Lillies rather than sweat in the green jersey for Ireland :D

Sorry i have no interest in the likes of the above - yes there are a few exceptions , who do try i.e. Given , and some who try but are not up to it like Kavanagh

Phil Babb has ability? :eek:

• Advertisement

tbh, none of those players give more effort at club level than they do for Ireland so I don't see what point you're making. :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    tbh, none of those players give more effort at club level than they do for Ireland so I don't see what point you're making. :)

You said my point that the "Irish players lack effort " , was a load of crap.
    So i just gave you examples of players , who lack effort or in other words lazy players - yeah there probably lazy for there clubs too, but the point is collectivly , you get a muppet mentality.
    I blame Pat Kenny in the mid to late nineties , throwing out the red carpet for players with one cap, and not even making there club team , starring on his show , like some bit part celebrity -- Keith O'Neill, Phil Babb and Jason McAteer spring to mind - and then going boozing down to Lillies , forgetting there was actually a match coming up !

I blame the parents..

pointless argument

pointless thread

oh....................

IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'll be watching the game on Saturday from a pub or my house with a few beers, and the feeling you get can't be matched by club football.

So do you think that sitting in a room with a few cans watching a game cannot be matched by going to an actual club match, or it cannot be matched by watching a club game on television?

Either way, I disagree.

Club v country? No contest.
    Of course I want Oireland to win, but it's club (domestic, of course) every time.
    I would say that most true English fans of ManUre etc would tick the same box.

SectionF wrote:
    Club v country? No contest.
    Of course I want Oireland to win, but it's club (domestic, of course) every time.
    I would say that most true English fans of ManUre etc would tick the same box.

Well home-grown United fans would definitely be club over country. Still cant get over the time when was in a boozer pe-match only to hear "Stand up if you hate England" breaking out. Alll to do with the anti Man U sentiment at a lot of Engerland games and the whole Beckham post-98 saga didn't really help

so which would you prefer?

your club to win the doube/treble or the league just

or

Ireland to reach the quarters/semis/final of WC/Euro?

Club to win the league cup tbh!

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Club to win the league cup tbh!
    I don't believe for a second that you would prefer that over Ireland getting to a WC final. But hey, you believe what you want.

As regards rather staying at home to watch a match than go out to see one, if it were an Ireland match on the box (and I couldn't attend it) no other game would get me out of that seat.

Club football means nothing to me when Ireland are playing.

I don't believe for a second that you would prefer that over Ireland getting to a WC final. But hey, you believe what you want.

Have little more than a fleeting interest in the international team. The only reason I'd be pleased to see them reach any sort of a major final is for the piss-up.

The club I follow week-in, week-out comes first.

MrJoeSoap wrote:

and your entitled to do so...now lets post somewhere else bar this silly billy of a thread. silly billys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Have little more than a fleeting interest in the international team.
    I'm the same tbh. For too long the FAI has shafted the fans of the national team, the fans of domestic football and the country as a whole. It is very hard for me to get behind a team that wears a crest with these three letters on it.
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Erm....what about the club you PLAY for? :D

Say what you want lads, you are entitled to your opinion, but it is my opinion that if Ireland were to qualify and progress to the final of a WC that all of you would be tagging along for just a little more than "the piss-up".

Don't think you'd shed a tear being beaten in the final on penalties?

Please drop the "FAI shafts the EL" manifesto for a minute and actually be serious.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

BaZmO* wrote:
    Good idea! :D Give the biggest nations automatic entry, and then do the next tier with a lotto draw. We'd probably qualify for the same number of tournaments that way.

International football would be a lot more worthwhile if it didn't constantly interrupt the club calendar with pointless games against the likes of Kryplakistan, Molduvainia, San Miguel and Andogula. Let the teams consisting of fat part-time postmen battle it out in pre-qualifiers and then call in the big-boys to play at sensible dates throughout the season, so the games will have at least a fighting chance of generating some kind of excitement.

As for Ireland - Cyprus, bleh. I'm looking forward to it but mostly because of the piss-up that is involved. Same goes for the Czech game, but that's largely because we're sh1te and it's hard to look forward to a game you'll probably lose. Hoping we'll beat them 4-3 (Rosicky to score their 3).

• Advertisement

Jesus i just hope we thrash both teams dont care who scores for them!

It appears that if you're a die heart fan of an Eircom League club then it somehow takes away your patriotism (for the majority of people anyway). Supporting the Irish football team is about supporting your country in what I believe is the biggest and most popular sport in the world. I want to see Irish players doing well abroad, not just because it benefits the national team but because I feel they're representing Ireland as much as Ken Doherty is on the snooker table.

I disagree with the snooker analogy really it just means that some guy thats playing reserve team football for some League 2 team in England is held in higher esteem probably than most eircom League players because he is somehow "representing us" surely that cant be right . and i wouldnt really say its because of the eircom league that some people support their club as much as the national team its just that those that support foreign teams dont have the same conflict for obvious reasons and this just creates a contrast

Please drop the "FAI shafts the EL" manifesto for a minute and actually be serious.
    :rolleyes:

I am being serious

It's not a manifesto, it's a fact.

If anyone would like to dispute this, then please do, with facts against my premise.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    It appears that if you're a die heart fan of an Eircom League club then it somehow takes away your patriotism (for the majority of people anyway).
    If being unpatriotic means I want our national association to run in a professional, efficient manner then chalk me down as a traitor and burn me at the stake in the centre circle.

seansouth wrote:
    :rolleyes:

I am being serious

It's not a manifesto, it's a fact.

If anyone would like to dispute this, then please do, with facts against my premise.
    Well I don't believe you.

I find it impossible to believe that you would have "little more than a fleeting interest" in supporting Ireland if they got to the World Cup final.

But hey it wouldn't be the first time I was called crazy.

• Advertisement

gustavo wrote:
    I disagree with the snooker analogy really it just means that some guy thats playing reserve team football for some League 2 team in England is held in higher esteem probably than most eircom League players because he is somehow "representing us" surely that cant be right
    I think I put my point across wrong. I just love to see individuals succeed. I'd love nothing more than to have an Irish player voted as the best in the world. :)

I find it impossible to believe that you would have "little more than a fleeting interest" in supporting Ireland if they got to the World Cup final

Glad to see that the absurdly hypothetical discussion hasn't lost its appeal.
    If Ireland got to the World Cup final... I might even buy the shirt, provided it wasn't in that awful FAI dayglo green.

I'm with Sean South on this. I know of no greater joy than to see my club (as in the one on whose seats I park my butt once a fortnight) stuff his club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I'll be watching the game on Saturday from a pub or my house with a few beers, and the feeling you get can't be matched by club football. Never will you get to be in a packed room where every single person wants the same thing.

I watch a game every other Friday in a ground were most people want the same thing ie our team to win. And when the win happens, that feeling cannot be matched. I dont care how many people are in the room, or how many beers are had.

For all I care, Ireland can win every World Cup from now until the end of this century, and it would not feel even .01% as good as it felt to see Cork City win the league last November in Turners Cross. Sure, I would celebrate Ireland win, we all would, but it would pale into comparison compared to That Night Last November.
    MrJoe Soap wrote:

100%
    Don't think you'd shed a tear being beaten in the final on penalties?

I would be gutted probably, but would be pissed off for about a day, then forget about it, much like when Ireland lost to Spain in 2002.

Now, this may sound glib, but I dont want it to, but cannot help it - Irish Premiership fans etc will embrace the national team alot more than eL fans, thats a fact. The reasoning behind it is Irish eL fans can identify with their club close to home, and feel the fellowship on a weekly basis with their fellow City/Shels/Pats etc fan. The Irish Premiership fan can only feel this with Ireland games they see on the telly, because for once, all club rivalries between Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa etc are set aside with their buddies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

gimmick wrote:
    I watch a game every other Friday in a ground were most people want the same thing ie our team to win. And when the win happens, that feeling cannot be matched. I dont care how many people are in the room, or how many beers are had.

For all I care, Ireland can win every World Cup from now until the end of this century, and it would not feel even .01% as good as it felt to see Cork City win the league last November in Turners Cross. Sure, I would celebrate Ireland win, we all would, but it would pale into comparison compared to That Night Last November.

100%

I would be gutted probably, but would be pissed off for about a day, then forget about it, much like when Ireland lost to Spain in 2002.

Now, this may sound glib, but I dont want it to, but cannot help it - Irish Premiership fans etc will embrace the national team alot more than eL fans, thats a fact. The reasoning behind it is Irish eL fans can identify with their club close to home, and feel the fellowship on a weekly basis with their fellow fan. The Irish Premiership fan can only feel this with Ireland games they see on the telly, because for once, all club rivalries between Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa etc are set aside with their buddies.

Taking into regard of what you have said above..

I kinda feel sorry for you.......

I would never let the day come where supporting a club team would be in anyway a comparison of supporting your country, your nation, your home.

And the .01% thing is sickening.

If i were you tbh i dont think i would be able to live with myself but
    i have seen similar things happen in England for example where most people
    are not passionate about their soccer team.

I for one will always passionately support my nation be it fighting for
    last place in the group or be it in the World Cup final:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I support Ireland more than anyone else. I could go in a big long volley why, but i aint arsed.

gimmick wrote:

For all I care, Ireland can win every World Cup from now until the end of this century, and it would not feel even .01% as good as it felt to see Cork City win the league last November in Turners Cross.
    100% agree with this post.

Apart from replace Shels with CCFC. Obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Only twice in my life have been absolutley gutted after a match vs Shels in cup final and vs spain in WC.

Both the same feelings Pats and Ireland are about even for me.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I would never let the day come where supporting a club team would be in anyway a comparison of supporting your country, your nation, your home.

If i were you tbh i dont think i would be able to live with myself

Over the top reply If ever Ive seen one. How is it sickening? Because you disagree with it?

Not be able to live with myself indeed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

If i were you tbh i dont think i would be able to live with myself but
    i have seen similar things happen in England for example where most people
    are not passionate about their soccer team.

Hyperbole.

I've only ever been distraught once watching Ireland, like KdjaCL the WC game vs Spain in 2002. I'm left distraught continually as a Spurs/Shels fan.

I feel more affinity with my fellow Spurs fans, probably because its the team that brings us together. I know I'm Irish anyway, so the NT doesn't provide the same unity or common cause.

I would gladly take a Spurs PL win over an Irish WC win. Believe that if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

ive no patience for the international breaks at all at this stage myself, i think of them as a week or 2 without my beloved weekend football :p

but i guess its the price we pay for a summer of football every second year

• Advertisement
Advertisement