Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hate international week

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

el rabitos wrote:
    but i guess its the price we pay for a summer of football every second year
    There is summer football every year in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Forgive me if i am wrong but you are going on about your beloved weekend football , im presuming these games are on television that you speak of, The international games will be on television too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

yes but i find watching paint dry better than watching most irish matches since towards the end of kerr's rein, i'm not big into the international football as a whole, and i dont watch EL.

i watch premiership, serie a and spanish football and a bit of french

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

gustavo wrote:
    im presuming these games are on television that you speak of, The international games will be on television too.

Recognise these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Trilla wrote:
    pointless argument

pointless thread

oh....................

IMO

If the thread is so pointless why are you reading it and continue to post to it ?
    Maybe you are not interested in the club v country argument , but others including myself are !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

el rabitos wrote:
    yes but i find watching paint dry better than watching most irish matches since towards the end of kerr's rein
    So when exactly did you find watching Irish games to be not boring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I was actually trying to remeber there recently could I name 5 great games Ireland have been involved in. For my money, and maybe not as a neutral

Ireland Vs Holland 1-0
    Holland Vs Ireland 2-2
    Ireland Vs Spain 1-3 Pens
    Ireland Vs Germay 1-1

Funnily enough, all of these were under McCarthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

tbh I can usually never tell whether an Ireland game is boring or entertaining. :) If I'm a neutral I'm entertained by good football. With Ireland I'm entertained when they're scoring goals. As it is we haven't scored in 3 games but I don't know what those 3 matches would have been like for the neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The point I was making was that essentially Ireland aren't an exciting team to watch. It's the partisan nature of the game that makes it exciting for me.

The only manager that really gave players the freedom to play was McCarthy, although a big reason for he style of play to work was having Keane in the middle to control the game.

Kerr was excessively negative and Charlton just played route 1 football, granted he got results that way but it never made for a game that was pretty to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

el rabitos wrote:
    i'm not big into the international football as a whole, and i dont watch EL.

You limit what football you allow yourself watch? :eek: Man thats gotta be frustrating!

Imagine watching the above, Irish, German, lower level English, and anything else that entertains!

Imagine a thrilling 3-3 draw between Shels-Drogheda, or Hertha and Bayern, that you forbid yourself to watch. But hey, at least you allowed yourself to watch Watford and Fulham, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

gimmick wrote:
    I was actually trying to remeber there recently could I name 5 great games Ireland have been involved in. For my money, and maybe not as a neutral

Ireland Vs Holland 1-0
    Holland Vs Ireland 2-2
    Ireland Vs Spain 1-3 Pens
    Ireland Vs Germay 1-1

Funnily enough, all of these were under McCarthy.

Maybe i'm a bit older , and as some have questioned my loyalty as a supporter of the Republic, i still remember these as great nighs/days unlike the present rubbish !

1994 World Cup Ireland 1 Italy 0
    1988 Euro Chamionship Ireland 1 England 0 (that man Houghton again!)
    1990 World Cup Romania 0 Ireland 0 (Ireland won on pens 5 -4 -- what a night)
    1990 World Cup Italy 1 Ireland 0 (McGrath was outstanding in midfield - we should have won ! - Bonner blunder !)
    1989 World Cup qualifier Ireland 1 Spain 0
    1993 World Cup Qualifier Ireland 1 Norn Iron 1 (just for the tension at Windsor Park)
    1992 World Cup Qualifier Denmark 0 Ireland 0 (Denmark were Euro champions)

There were many other golden moments from this golden era in Irish International football - so yes i am an Irish fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

SectionF wrote:
    If Ireland got to the World Cup final... I might even buy the shirt, provided it wasn't in that awful FAI dayglo green.
    So does that make you a "glory hunter" or "bandwagon supporter"?
    gimmick wrote:
    I watch a game every other Friday in a ground were most people want the same thing ie our team to win. And when the win happens, that feeling cannot be matched. I dont care how many people are in the room, or how many beers are had.
    I go to and/or play in games for my club every week. We all want the same thing yes, but when I walk out on the street some other people can't identify.

When Ireland play, everyone I know, in my experience, but evidently a few who follow the EL, gets out and supports. Even people who don't follow football on a regular basis. You can walk the streets and speak to anyone and they are all pleased. The country as a whole is on a high, the atmosphere everywhere is tangible.

If you think that the few thousand following your club beats that level of atmosphere and excitement when we are in a WC, good for you, you are obviously amused more easily than I am.
    gimmick wrote:
    For all I care, Ireland can win every World Cup from now until the end of this century, and it would not feel even .01% as good as it felt to see Cork City win the league last November in Turners Cross. Sure, I would celebrate Ireland win, we all would, but it would pale into comparison compared to That Night Last November.
    So you’ll celebrate when their winning but not when they aren’t, hence I’ll pose you the same question, does that make you a “glory hunter”?
    gimmick wrote:
    I would be gutted probably, but would be pissed off for about a day, then forget about it, much like when Ireland lost to Spain in 2002.
    Again I find that hard to believe, but if you say so. What if there were some EL players on the side, would you feel any more affinity to our beaten heroes then?
    gimmick wrote:
    Now, this may sound glib, but I dont want it to, but cannot help it - Irish Premiership fans etc will embrace the national team alot more than eL fans, thats a fact. The reasoning behind it is Irish eL fans can identify with their club close to home, and feel the fellowship on a weekly basis with their fellow City/Shels/Pats etc fan. The Irish Premiership fan can only feel this with Ireland games they see on the telly, because for once, all club rivalries between Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa etc are set aside with their buddies.
    I’m sure you classify me as an “Irish Premiership fan”, but I also play football for a LSL club. I also watch our first team play Intermediate LSL on a regular basis. I’m sure I could argue that I can identify with “my club” more than plenty of EL fans. I know all team members by first name and am good friends with plenty of them. How come I can still identify with the Irish team?

I also don’t follow your analogy of “fellowship”. How is the EL a “fellowship”? Is it not a rivalry? The Irish team is a chance for all rival supporters to lay down their weapons and follow the same goal. Would Shels/Pats/Rovers fans not like to all do the same? The EL seems to have a “fellowship” going on as in an “us-and-them” mentality.

And as I’ll always say, that is one of the things that turn people going to EL games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I also don’t follow your analogy of “fellowship”. How is the EL a “fellowship”? Is it not a rivalry?

Having re read my original quote I see how it would be easily misinterpreted. By 'Fellowship' (awful word) I mean what I feel with fellow City fans, what Pats do with theirs etc ect etc.
    And as I’ll always say, that is one of the things that turn people going to EL games.

I dont see how this turns anyone away from anything. There are always some people, in allw alks of life, who try to force an opinion on you, be they a Man U fan, or a hockey player. I go to see as much live football as I can. I sometimes watch UCC, Everton, Avondale in the MSL if its convenient to get to. I go an see Leytonm Orient quite a bit. I try and get to any grounds I can.

I stand by my thing of saying that Citys league win last November was the best football moment I have experienced, and cant see how anything could ever top that. Holding players on our shoulders, lifting the trophy, and drinking some god awful concoction out of it at 4am in the Rochestown park Hotel - that was amazing, and if Iereland were to win the world cup or european championship (not that we are in any danger of doing so anytime soon) I dont think the same camaraderie would be there with the players and coaching staff etc.
    So you’ll celebrate when their winning but not when they aren’t, hence I’ll pose you the same question, does that make you a “glory hunter”?

I never said Ive turned my back on anything, merely stated I dont have a huge interest in international football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    You limit what football you allow yourself watch? :eek: Man thats gotta be frustrating!

Imagine watching the above, Irish, German, lower level English, and anything else that entertains!

Imagine a thrilling 3-3 draw between Shels-Drogheda, or Hertha and Bayern, that you forbid yourself to watch. But hey, at least you allowed yourself to watch Watford and Fulham, right?

where did i say i limit myself to what football i watch? i stated my preferances in what i actively watch. i think someones reading what they want to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

el rabitos wrote:
    where did i say i limit myself to what football i watch? i stated my preferances in what i actively watch. i think someones reading what they want to read.
    el rabitos wrote:

Perhaps its the phrasing, but that sounds pretty conclusive. You say it like the first 3 get all your attention, the French sometimes do, and anything else is just non-existant, or not worth mentioning at least. Any J-League? :D

Besides, I was just pulling the leg a bit anyways, sheesh! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement