Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

no nct? what are the consequences?

Options
  • 05-10-2006 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭

what happens if you have no nct/doe on your car?

if caught, are you eligible for points and or a fine or is your insurance invalid?

and yes my doe is there for another 6 months so please dont rant or trail off this thread about WHY i wouldnd bother getting it re-tested

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nutterireland

if your involved in a crash your insurance company might not pay up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

i can see why they might not, but does anyone have any proof or knowledge regarding insurance being void due to no nct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

stevenk wrote:
    what happens if you have no nct/doe on your car?

if caught, are you eligible for points and or a fine or is your insurance invalid?

and yes my doe is there for another 6 months so please dont rant or trail off this thread about WHY i wouldnd bother getting it re-tested

nobody is enforcing the NCT, so i don't know how you'll get caught.

thats the thing, is there any law out there that says, no nct = penalty of some kind
    or some insurance clause along the same lines, no nct = no cover
    (i know this would vary from one insurance company to another)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

stevenk wrote:
    no nct? what are the consequences?

eh... safety? NCT is there to uncover problems before they have consequences on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

According to a notice posted in the Fonthill NCT test centre the fine for not displaying a valid NCT is €1,500 enforceable by the Gardai.

But when I was arranging my NCT they couldn't give me an appointment before my old NCT expired, and I asked the booking centre what I should do if the Gardai stopped me, and they said the Gardai do not enforce it so I would be fine. Passed the test yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

DaDa wrote:
    eh... safety? NCT is there to uncover problems before they have consequences on the road.

Exactly - someone mightn't be able to tell what the Irish name for your County is when they're driving behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

nobody is enforcing the NCT, so i don't know how you'll get caught.

Don't you need your NCT to get taxed?

Stark wrote:
    Don't you need your NCT to get taxed?

no, not at all. or insurance.... unbelievable

and the garda don't enforce it, they are in dispute with the minister over this issue.

don't laugh, but apparently it would take too long and is too awkward to check the NCT when they stop for tax and insurance.... yes i know, for them to check the NCT it means looking about 5 inches to the left or right of your tax and insurance disks...
    but listen, I'm not complaining. haven't had i valid NCT for years on either of my vehicles.

now i know if your a boy racer or if they want to do you and cant find anything wrong with your car, then they will probably look at the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You used to need insurance to get taxed but you don't anymore actually. The reasoning behind that was it was inconvenient for people to provide proof of insurance when getting taxed, especially with the new online system and they reckoned that anyone who was willing to drive around without insurance wasn't going to be in a hurry to get their car taxed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

The NCT is a undertaken by a Private Company SGS who now conveniently got the contract for Outsourced driving testers. I have been driving for the last 2 months without one and am not getting it done either. It is a joke and a rip-off yet another example of how the Government are screwing the people.

In the UK if you want an MOT (British Equivalent) you can get it done in approved garages as is the case with DOE testing here for commercial vehicles. But instead of helping our small garages and maybe creating extra viable jobs, brown envelopes were exchanged at the Galway races and SGS got it.

NCT equals a joke and don't get it done, My car which I imported isn't even on their system :D and won't be going on either until I come to sell maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

DaDa wrote:

Sorry i had to laugh?! The NCT is a complete farce... it's a money spinner.. I sent an almera through 4 months ago with illegal tyres, unserviced and serious damage to the front wish bone - needing completely new shock / strut etc and it passed with flying colours. I deliberately left it so on advise of a mechanic in on the understanding that the nct would show it up and detail exactly what needed to be changed to get the cert.. Even the mechanic could'nt believe it. Got the work done for safety afterwards..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I haven't NCTed my car since I imported it two years ago. I might put it though as it's due about now and I know there's nothing wrong with it as I do look after it. But then again, why bother paying yet another tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I wouldn't mind but the fact is I have heard loads of stories about cars going in one day failing on certain things, fixing them then going back in only to find on the second test failing other things they passed on before.

Some one is making money but not delivering a quality service, therefore the NCT only serves as an additional tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Yes, NCT is a complete joke, another example (along with VRT, Vat on VRT, Property Stamp Duty, VAT/Duty on car/house Fuel) of how the government
    are getting back the money they have to pay out from the SSIA (which turns out to be the taxpayer’s money in the first place!)

OP: BTW a car shouldn't have a DOE, only a commercial vehicle, but maybe you meant car/van derivate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

layke wrote:
    I wouldn't mind but the fact is I have heard loads of stories about cars going in one day failing on certain things, fixing them then going back in only to find on the second test failing other things they passed on before.

Some one is making money but not delivering a quality service, therefore the NCT only serves as an additional tax.

This isn't the case. Whatever you fail the NCT on - thats what your re-tested on, nothing else. If the person had to "re-do" the whole test because they waited too long to do the re-test, then it might happen that something new was found....

Also, some insurance companies do request the proof of NCT as part of the process. It all depends!

I'm not displaying my NCT Cert - just to see will a Guard ever pull me up on it (I have it in the glove box, just in case). After 16/18 months of driving without the Cert displayed and between 5 and 10 spot checks by Guards, I've never been asked.

yeah i meant d.o.e for a car/van,
    so does anyone know of cases where insurance was not paid due to not having an nct?? its all well and good getting away with it until you crash, and then the insurance company wont cover..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

heard somebody on the last word a few months back talking about the NCT and how it was inaccurately implemented in Ireland. He said (sorry cant remember the guys name) that the European directive basically said that the NCT could be carried out by a qualified person (ie a mechanic)...who would do this when he serviced the car.....but the government dont get extra taxes for a mechanic certifing that the car he had to service anyway is roadworthy! Apparently this guy said he appealed the departments refusal to allow him to tax his car without an NCT to the highcourt and won his case!

NCT is a scam...its also a law that is only in place for a specified time (think its till 2011)...and then it needs to be relegislated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

DaDa wrote:

Nonsense. Even before the NCT how many accidents were cause by 'car mechanical fault' ? None I'll guess - we know its the biological idiots inside them speeding/dinkdriving/dangerousovertaking/etc/etc that have sad road consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Sandwich wrote:
    Nonsense. Even before the NCT how many accidents were cause by 'car mechanical fault' ? None I'll guess - we know its the biological idiots inside them speeding/dinkdriving/dangerousovertaking/etc/etc that have sad road consequences.

I believe I heard the figure for accidents due to mechanical fault before the NCT was the less than 1%.

Screw the NCT, waste of money anyway.

• Advertisement

i must get out my insurance policy next time im home and have a look to see if it mentions anything about not having an nct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

I remember a thread like this before and somebody said that they crashed with no nct and it wasn't an issue with the insurance company. But then again thats not from personal experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

stevenk wrote:
    i must get out my insurance policy next time im home and have a look to see if it mentions anything about not having an nct.
    I was thinking myself that when I have to do the NCT I wouldn't bother but really probably should because your insurance policy will just say something about your car having to comply with all the legal requirements and the NCT might not be enforced but still is a legal requirement. So is it really worth the risk of having to pay some money on your car once every 2 years? I'm not saying I agree with it or anything, I know it's a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 White Van Man

bullrunner wrote:
    but the government dont get extra taxes for a mechanic certifing that the car he had to service anyway is roadworthy!

What, you mean the government don't want you slipping your mechanic 20 quid to certify that the rustbucket with dodgy brakes and a cracked windscreen is actually a roadworthy vehicle?

Big deal anyway, it's 49 quid to be tested. It's still cheaper than an MOT in the UK, or CT in France for example

49 quid to be tested, how much to make it pass?
    i have a mate who needs a new engine to pass on emissions, but apart from that a solid car..

is the nct really a legal requirement though?
    compare it to a license, if i dont have a license, if i get caught i get fined.
    no tax, caught, fined.
    no insurance, caught, fined.
    no nct, mneh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have heard of people getting prosecuted for no NCT. They got fined around €350. Some Gardai must be enforcing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 White Van Man

stevenk wrote:
    49 quid to be tested, how much to make it pass?
    i have a mate who needs a new engine to pass on emissions, but apart from that a solid car..

is the nct really a legal requirement though?

How much to make it pass? How long is a piece of string? If you keep your car maintained regularly you shouldn't have a problem in most cases. Your new engine example is a bit extreme, as most people who fail wouldn't have a problem which needed something as expensive as a replacement engine. Seems to me that the people who are most vocal in their criticism of the NCT are the same people who can't afford or don't want to spend money getting their car up to scratch.

Half the country's driving around with just one headlight/badly aligned headlights/etc which can be a danger to other road users. One headlight on full beam doesn't equal working headlights on dipped beam, but some people think it does.:rolleyes: I've got no problem with a testing system that weeds out idiots like that for example.

Let's face it, there wouldn't be an NCT if the EU hadn't said that every country needs to have a testing system in place for emissions, brakes, etc. I'd be the first to agree with anyone who says that failing people for non-standard number plates and that kind of thing is a load of old sh*te. But the NCT is there, so looks like we'll have to make the most of it. :cool:

The cops mightn't enforce the display of NCT discs, but a lot of insurance companies want a copy of your NCT cert. You can be damn sure that they'll use the lack of an NCT as an excuse not to pay up if you have an accident. Which would I prefer? 49 quid for a bit of paper to go on the windscreen, or going to the bank for a loan to buy another car after an accident? Hmm

"dont rant or trail off this thread about WHY i wouldnd bother getting it re-tested"
    anyhow, i think i have my answer

But the NCT is there, so looks like we'll have to make the most of it.

but a lot of insurance companies want a copy of your NCT cert. accident?

it looks like we don't if nobody enforces it...

i have quit a few friends who don't have a current NCT, all with different insurances companies... and none of them have been asked.
    so in my experience, no insurance company looks for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anecdotal evidence suggests that the Gardai are now enforcing the NCT requirement.

You need your NCT cert to get taxed via mail (the new tax renewal forms state this), but not online. I'm guessing that they are either too lazy to include it in the online system, or because they're both sections of the DOE, they can automatically check if the car has been NCT'ed. I go for the former.

Interestingly enough (and slightly OT), I got a renewal form for the tax on my bike back in May. Because it's off the road, I didn't renew it. Then in July I got a letter from the DOE saying that if I didn't tax my vehicle within ten days, or otherwise declare my vehicle as sold/scrapped/off the road, they would inform the Gardai. This isn't something I thought they were doing...
    (Obviously I still didn't do anything about it, as I'm not going to be using the bike).

Advertisement