Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

no nct? what are the consequences?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I was stpopped for tax and insurance. I didnt have an NCT and was grilled by the Garda over it. I told her it was a late reg car and that it wasn't due yet. I belived that to be true at the time but in fact i had it arse ways :D Sorted (and sold) since.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I got stopped at a checkpoint for breathalizing last weekend, the garda pulled me in... "Blow into this until I tell you to stop" and when the reading was fine he started on me about my NCT and why I didn't have one??? The NCT on my car is valid until the end of this year (Displayed with my tax/insurance) as its a 01 car so was only test in 05 and when i pointed out that the disc was there he just said go on then!! If the gardai don't like the look of you they will try do you for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Had a look at some of the insurance websites and there is no mention that a car must be NCT'd for a private motor policy?? is there anyone in the insurance business on here that can sort this one out for us once and for all? and give us a link to here it says it in their website terms and conditions etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

jonny24ie wrote:
    If the gardai don't like the look of you they will try do you for it!!

sure isn't that the case anyway...if they don't like the look of ya, you'll be done for something anyway. nothing new their.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Most accidents are caused by driver error, insurance companies would have to fork out money to have someone strip a car apart to see if the car was roadworthy.
    The schoolbus carsh in Meath was a prime example of this but obviously due to the serious injury & loss of life involved.
    If you have a tip in your car resulting in €10k damage, that would mean every car that has an out of date NCT would need to be checked independently to see if the car was not roadworthy.
    The costs & manhours would be enormous so this ain't gonna happen. If it wasn't in the proposal form when you signed it or it isn't disclosed at your next renewal, then it doesn't apply.
    A lot of scaremongering on this thread from people who are just listening to hearsay:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If the current NCT certificate was indeed a requirement to make your car LEGALLY roadworthy (never mind whether it is or isn't mechanically), then the absence of such certificate would allow an insurance company to LEGALLY refuse payment (or reclaim any payment made back off you) due to unroadworthyness without having to prove or disprove anything mechanical at all.

Or would it?

Personally I won't take the risk and just get my yoke NCT'd and that's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

peasant wrote:
    If the current NCT certificate was indeed a requirement to make your car LEGALLY roadworthy (never mind whether it is or isn't mechanically), then the absence of such certificate would allow an insurance company to LEGALLY refuse payment (or reclaim any payment made back off you) due to unroadworthyness without having to prove or disprove anything mechanical at all.

Or would it?
    The NCT cert being a certificate of legal roadworthiness isn't very clear.

Most insurance policies will require you to maintain your car in a roadworthy condition. Having an NCT cert doesn't necessarily mean that your car is roadworthy, and the opposite is also true - a car can have no NCT cert and still be legally roadworthy.

So for an insurance company to refuse or invalidate your insurance based on the non-existence of an NCT cert is a grey area. It will probably require a test case to settle it. However, I know I wouldn't like to be the guy being taken to court in said test case, would you? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Keith C wrote:
    A lot of scaremongering on this thread from people who are just listening to hearsay

agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Stark wrote:
    You used to need insurance to get taxed but you don't anymore actually. The reasoning behind that was it was inconvenient for people to provide proof of insurance when getting taxed, especially with the new online system and they reckoned that anyone who was willing to drive around without insurance wasn't going to be in a hurry to get their car taxed anyway.

Does the online form not have a field for your insurer and policy number? Can you still the submit form without populating those details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

If your car doesn't have an nct then you are not allowed to sit a driving test in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

seamus wrote:
    Anecdotal evidence suggests that the Gardai are now enforcing the NCT requirement.

You need your NCT cert to get taxed via mail (the new tax renewal forms state this)

That isnt correct, buses and such need a cert. of roadworthiness but thats it - no NCT req for private cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

eoin_s wrote:
    Does the online form not have a field for your insurer and policy number? Can you still the submit form without populating those details?
    You can fill in rubbish in those fields and it still works. All they want is the credit card number at the end! :D

Advertisement