Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little question on mature students....

Options
  • 05-10-2006 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭

Ok it basically like this...

Im currently taking time out of college to get experiance in my field of work with is in media. Im 21. However, this sucks as it one industry that makes you work long hours for FREE when starting off, being a bitch for everyone else.

Anyway I want to get a business degree under my belt too, possibly business with some form of media??What I want to know is, whats the deal with the whole mature student thing? I wasnt eligible to recieve a grant when I was in college, but Im aware that once your 23 you are able to recieve a decent grant?? How mutch is it etc. Also how do you get in and is whats the competition like.

I done really well in my couse and glad I did it and still have one year left, but do you think I should be doing a few evening courses in business while I work. (in london)

I would appreciate advice on this, cheers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Mature students are treated no differently from the student body as a whole where grants are concerned. If you qualify you get one...

Saying that, though, there is (or was!!) a Back to Education Allowance from the govt... I am not sure of the criteria for the awarding of this payment but I am sure the info is out there on the web.

I don't get any grants at the moment... it sucks being a pensioner :p

You might get some good answers in the Mature/Non-traditional students forum here. As for grants, some basic information is available in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

I think when you're a mature student you're assessed on your own income rather than your parents so if you earn less than 35 grand you can get a grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

I think when you're a mature student you're assessed on your own income rather than your parents so if you earn less than 35 grand you can get a grant.
    Yeah, I think it's when you turn 23 you're treated as a financial independent, if earlier than that then you're treated as a regular young postgrad thingy. Best to check the site that Myth linked to above, himself and Vainglory are the real grant nerds around here! ;)

Advertisement