Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching ECDL

Options
  • 05-10-2006 7:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Anyone know what qualifications you need to be able to teach the ECDL?

My girlfriend is interested in doing it, she has a Bachelors Degree in Computing and was thinking about getting into the training side of things. She was thinking about starting off with something "simple" like the ECDL.

I checked the http://www.ics-skills.ie site (they govern the ECDL programme in Ireland now) but it doesnt say exactly what qualifications you need to be able to teach the ECDL.

Does anyone know?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I assume you would have to sit the basic ECDL and advanced ECDL. Maybe a course like "Train the trainer" also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

unklerosco wrote:

Cheers for that link. Wouldn't mind doing something like that myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If the crowd teaching it in secondary schools are anything to go by, all you need to be able to do is read from a book. Heck, you don't even need to know how to use a computer!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Hi guys,

Anyone know what qualifications you need to be able to teach the ECDL?

My girlfriend is interested in doing it, she has a Bachelors Degree in Computing and was thinking about getting into the training side of things. She was thinking about starting off with something "simple" like the ECDL.

I checked the http://www.ics-skills.ie site (they govern the ECDL programme in Ireland now) but it doesnt say exactly what qualifications you need to be able to teach the ECDL.

Does anyone know?

Thanks...

While not essential, it might be useful get a JEB qualification. I did one recently - the IT side of it will be a walk in the park if she has a degree in computing, but the teaching side of it I found very useful on two counts: one to get experience in giving classes (getting over nerves), and two to get the experience in preparation of a class - handouts, notes, planning the time, creating assignments etc..

Website here:
    http://www.jeb.co.uk/

I was thinking of also teaching ECDL, and like you I'm not sure what's required in terms of qualifications. I have a diploma in computing, but I don't have the ECDL qualification. I presume you can just sit the exam rather than going through a whole load of classes - at least I hope so because it would be a waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

If u go to the ECDL site u'll get a list of places u can sit the exam in... Id say 40% of the places that teach it let u do walk in exams... I've been looking into teaching ECDL myself.. Fas did do a course for teaching ECDL but i cant seem to find on there site anymore..

The way i see it, half the people teaching these days aint thought how to teach... A friend of mine is lecturing in a college up north on media, she just finished here masters but has no qualification in how to teach... Its crazy..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I teach ECDL at the moment. The requirements are that you have sat and passed the ECDL course, nothing more. In my own case, I just did the exams, I didn't have to do the course.

I have a masters and a good few years lecturing/teaching/training experience, which of course helps a lot. If you don't have any teaching experience, then the JEB is worth looking at to teach you how to teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

tom dunne wrote:
    I teach ECDL at the moment. The requirements are that you have sat and passed the ECDL course, nothing more. In my own case, I just did the exams, I didn't have to do the course.

Really? Didnt realise that that is all you need to do...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

unklerosco wrote:

Sorry, I should have mentioned that Im based in Cork... course sounds good, would just need to do it closer to home..

Thanks though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I just wanted to find out if it is still the case that you don't need any qualification to teach ECDL as mentioned above?
    I would've sat the ECDL exams as a student c.2009.
    I'm a second level teacher now but I've been asked in interviews if I was qualified to teach ECDL.
    Its difficult to get the information online.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Please don't bump old threads. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement