Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Issues?

Options
  • 05-10-2006 8:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi All - now that a lot of us Park residents have settled in how do you feel about the parking situation? I noticed it was brought up in the AGM for the Grove/Park man. co. and it was proposed they bring someone out from NCP (i think) I reckon the last thing we need is a load of double yellows everywhere, but have to be honest the parking is doing my head in a little. When we bought it was in our contract that we had 1 parking space, I for one would like to know where is this parking space because I just don't seem to be getting it every evening?? Are the spaces numbered in the Court/Wood?
    Do you think this would work better for us?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

You really don't want to go down the route of having clampers in. It means if, for example, you have several guests over to your house and they park even vaguely poorly they'll be clamped and it will ruin your evening.

Reserved spaces should be numbered for each property. I think they are in the Wood, but maybe someone in an apartment can clarify that.

I think it would be a great idea for people to use common sense when parking though. There seems to be far too many cars parked on corners and at the traffic islands at the roundabout by the shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm in the Wood but not in an aprtment but from what I can see is that the apartments and duplexs have designated spaces. The larger units i.e. the 3-bed duplexes etc. have 2 spaces provided to them.

I agree with Mike...Don't have parking clampers. They will be strict and they are strict cause they want to make money.

As for how bad parking is, you shouldn't park within 5m of a corner, within 15m of a major junction or traffic lights and opposite a full white line down the centre of the road.

I take this opportunity to ask people not to park on the footpaths - By doing so you cause everyone to walk onto the road not to mention children, people pushing baby in buggies and wheelchairs uses. TParking like this is being done everywhere. From what I can see there is plenty of space to park even though these spaces may not be directly in front of the house you're in!

Yes! Please use some common sense. Thanks.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

Yes completely agree - no way should we have clampers here, seems that the mangement company kind of took the tone "well if you complain about parking we'll get the clamper's in" Not a fair attitude if you ask me. :(

However the parking does seem to be a problem especially if your coming in at night, can't seem to get anywhere near my property and when I've paid for an inclusive parking space I should be able to park surely??

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

i live in the grove and would be more than happy for my mgmnt fee to be used to pay for double yellow lines AND clamping all the way from the turn left off the first roundabout into superquinn all the way up to carpark. im sick and tired of people parking ON the road directly opposite the turn into the grove outside superquinn cos theyre basically too damn lazy to drive all the way into the multi-storey carpark and have to inconvenience themselves by having to walk down a flight of stairs to get to the shop. its the middle of road, it obstructs the flow of cars into and out of the carpark and also blocks the turn into and out of the Grove. if it was anywhere else the car would be towed as its basically parking in the middle of a road. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just heard from someone that rang the management co. that they have received a quote from the clampers. That they are coming to the Park and the Grove. Now I definitely have some issues with the parking problem but this to me is definitely NOT the solution! Fair enough they will number all the spaces but just your 1 space. No friends by this time next year I reckon :eek: Don't know many people who'd want to come visit me and pay €90 a pop;)

Is there anything we can do to stop this happening? Or does anyone think they're a good idea, if so please tell me why and help me sleep better with the thoughts of these commission hungry people patrolling us like we're a gated community in Mexico!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Now dont anyone take this the wrong way, because I think this site is a fantastic idea - but if I was considering moving to charlesland I would think twice after reading the above.....I really think issues like this should be dealt within our residents committees and hopefully we could get it sorted between us without having to put it on the internet, where no doubt all and saundry can read - just my opinion. :)

well i reckon all and sundry are going to be able to see for themselves, when we wake up one fine morning to discover these lines etc. already in place.
    I have no problem with addressing these issues to a residents committee but to do that I think this is the best way to go about it as I don't know anybody on the residents committee? Feel free to point me in the right direction LMC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Nearly There

I would tend to agree with dubgirl here. This is an ideal forum for identifying some consensus among an albeit small representative sample of residents. I can say that most things that I have read (both good and bad) about Charlesland here have helped me along the way...I think we would probably find that parking is an issue in most developments nowadays anyway??

p.s. I would be opposed to clampers also. Numbering and assigning spaces to residences I think is the way to go - presumably a provision would be made for 'visitors' spaces??

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

I would tend to agree with dubgirl here. This is an ideal forum for identifying some consensus among an albeit small representative sample of residents. I can say that most things that I have read (both good and bad) about Charlesland here have helped me along the way...I think we would probably find that parking is an issue in most developments nowadays anyway??

p.s. I would be opposed to clampers also. Numbering and assigning spaces to residences I think is the way to go - presumably a provision would be made for 'visitors' spaces??

I suppose your right - fair enough comments - do apologise if I came across all grumpy!

Im in the court so Im afraid cant help you (Dubgirl) with comm members for park/grove, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 skeeterdom

dubgirl wrote:
    Hi All - now that a lot of us Park residents have settled in how do you feel about the parking situation? I noticed it was brought up in the AGM for the Grove/Park man. co. and it was proposed they bring someone out from NCP (i think) I reckon the last thing we need is a load of double yellows everywhere, but have to be honest the parking is doing my head in a little. When we bought it was in our contract that we had 1 parking space, I for one would like to know where is this parking space because I just don't seem to be getting it every evening?? Are the spaces numbered in the Court/Wood?
    Do you think this would work better for us?

You know the clampers will pay a commission to the management company dont you? They approach all management companies offering the service and then when refused (maybe) offer a commission.
    Parking would be better dealt with by making the spine road one way and then marking out a legally enforceable distance between the intersections including the roundabouts, with double yellows. If people want to park outside their flat, fair enough, especially if they have kids, and having one lane would allow them to do this. But there needs to be an allowance for visibility when cars are entering the spine road and giving way to oncoming traffic, and that should be legally enforced, through the council. By parking too close to an intersection or, almost on the big superquinn roundabout, then you are endangering lives and should be booked by the gardai not clamped!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Ice Man

skeeterdom wrote:
    You know the clampers will pay a commission to the management company dont you? They approach all management companies offering the service and then when refused (maybe) offer a commission.
    Parking would be better dealt with by making the spine road one way and then marking out a legally enforceable distance between the intersections including the roundabouts, with double yellows. If people want to park outside their flat, fair enough, especially if they have kids, and having one lane would allow them to do this. But there needs to be an allowance for visibility when cars are entering the spine road and giving way to oncoming traffic, and that should be legally enforced, through the council. By parking too close to an intersection or, almost on the big superquinn roundabout, then you are endangering lives and should be booked by the gardai not clamped!

Completely agree Skeeterdom. While I'm in a house and luckily not affected by not being able to park my car, I find it ridiculous that houses and apartments which will more than likely have two or more cars are not provided with ample parking. This is afterall Greystones not the middle of the city centre, we should not be having these issues!

Great idea about the spine road, there is no reason it cannot be one way, and I would suggest the same for the smaller squares outside the houses! There is no way we should get the clampers in. Hate to be melodramatic, but that would severely affect resale values, people will NOT want to buy in the area if that happens!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Personally I think clampers in a residential estate is crazy. I'm in the court and there are numbered spaces and visitor allocated spaces and I could never understand why it wasn't the same in the Park/grove. But I do find it difficult in the mornings driving down the spine road with the cars parked on the side of the road and near the roundabout....especially when the bus is coming towards me!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Hi everyone I think there is a bit of panic being spread here. The management company had asked them to come out for advice and quote only. The management company are paid by us so therefore they will only direct NCP on the agreement of the residents committee which I know for a fact are not considering this. I think this may be a rue to make people cop on and be more considerate when they park. There will definately be double yellow lines on the corners and where applicable over the next few months and for those living in the apartments and duplexs I think they are just going to mark out parking spaces (not sure about allocating a number). Rest assured everyone dont panic...there is no plan to have NCP at all under any circumtances except for the area beside Superquinn which is causing a problem. If you have any queries please contact the Residents assoc and they can put your minds at rest. I will post a contact or email address as soon as I can get one. In the meantime we should all try to approach those idiots who cant park correctly or who have no manners and ask them as politely as possible to park with some thought (or brain cells);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

Our house is on a corner and every now and again, one of our neighbours parks his enormous van on the road right outside our kitchen/bedroom. The only thing we can see out our windows is the side of this van. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a car, or even a normal white van, but this thing is huge, it blocks out all the light coming in the windows. I'd rather he parked his van in his own driveway, but I haven't said anything to him yet, as I'm not sure if he's entitled to park his van there or not. I don't want to ask him to move it if he's perfectly entitled to park it there.

So long story short, bring on the double yellow lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Don't know if anyone has noticed this but there is a green Mazda 626 parked at the green in Charlesland Wood 1. There are no reg plates on the car. Anyone know if someone locally owns it? Should you contact the management company or the council to have it removed?

Also on Angel's note, what are the rules in the Leases for parking commercial vehicles in Charlesland Wood/Court/Grove/Park???

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Angel, if you're on a corner the van shouldn't be parked outside. The rules of the road state that you can't park within 5 metres of a junction.

If he's illegally parked and you don't want to tackle him on it, report it to the Gardaí. A couple of tickets on the van might help him to wise up!

astrofluff wrote:
    Don't know if anyone has noticed this but there is a green Mazda 626 parked at the green in Charlesland Wood 1. There are no reg plates on the car. Anyone know if someone locally owns it? Should you contact the management company or the council to have it removed?

Also on Angel's note, what are the rules in the Leases for parking commercial vehicles in Charlesland Wood/Court/Grove/Park???
    I'd say contact the Management Company first and see what they say?

Normally if a car is "parked" with no reg plates on it, the council will take it away on request. But with us being a managed estate, I don't know what the situation is.

:o just to clarify on my earlier point, i too am 99% against clamping.

the only place id agree with it is on the actual road right outside superquinn where the super-selfish/lazy people park their cars in the middle of the road cos theyre too lazy to use the carpark. oh and the guy in the black pickup with the golden alloys - he parks there every day too.

it blocks the turn into the grove and its dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

dubgirl wrote:
    well i reckon all and sundry are going to be able to see for themselves, when we wake up one fine morning to discover these lines etc. already in place.
    I have no problem with addressing these issues to a residents committee but to do that I think this is the best way to go about it as I don't know anybody on the residents committee? Feel free to point me in the right direction LMC?

dubgirl - the committees are looking for new members all the time. PM me and I'll send you details.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Marcais wrote:
    dubgirl - the committees are looking for new members all the time. PM me and I'll send you details.

Marcais, it may also be no harm to put contact details up for people who wish to give you a shout (other than those looking to sign up) - I haven't heard anything since the AGM, apart from the minutes that were sent out. The email address I set up for you before should suffice.

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

eleMental wrote:
    the only place id agree with it is on the actual road right outside superquinn where the super-selfish/lazy people park their cars in the middle of the road cos theyre too lazy to use the carpark. oh and the guy in the black pickup with the golden alloys - he parks there every day too.

I'd also love to see Superquinn clamp down on the scumbags that frequently park in the spaces designated for handicapped drivers. I've confronted a couple of people about it but they both just shrugged and walked off, saying there was nowhere else to park (which isn't an excuse, in my opinion).

By the way, that van was back last night. He doesn't park right on the corner, so it's not illegally parked as such. He leaves it right outside our kitchen/living room, so all we can see if we look out is the side of the van. I'm going to start leaving my own car there in future.

Angel wrote:
    I'd also love to see Superquinn clamp down on the scumbags that frequently park in the spaces designated for handicapped drivers. I've confronted a couple of people about it but they both just shrugged and walked off, saying there was nowhere else to park (which isn't an excuse, in my opinion).

Absolutely no excuse - there is a huge bloody car park a few steps away if the one directly outside the shop is full. I saw a woman park there a while ago with no sticker, and on her way back to the car, she slipped and twisted her ankle. Karma.
    Angel wrote:
    By the way, that van was back last night. He doesn't park right on the corner, so it's not illegally parked as such. He leaves it right outside our kitchen/living room, so all we can see if we look out is the side of the van. I'm going to start leaving my own car there in future.

Is this the big blue van in the Grove (near the Montessori)? I must be a few doors down from you if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bertie

Eoin it is illegal to park five metres or roughly 16 feet either side of a junction roadmarkings or not I left a warning note on a van at the exit of the wood 2 on two occassions on my way to work a) that he was parked illegally b) that he was obstructing the view of traffic exiting the wood.
    I did it because I was almost sideswiped twice.His lordship continued to park there and a week later I had another near miss so I took out my book summoned him for both offences ,I then discovered a broken tail light and tyres on the front under the minimum thread depth also his number plates were too dirty to be read.If he pays up within 8 weeks it'll cost him €420 if he doesn't it cost him the guts of €2000 in the District court.Inoticede his tax was up for renewal as weel but gave him the benefit of a few days.

Bertie wrote:
    Eoin it is illegal to park five metres or roughly 16 feet either side of a junction roadmarkings or not

Think you're replying to the wrong poster there, I didn't say he was parking legally or illegally.

The guards are frequently in Superquinn and last weekend I saw them giving a ticket to someone who had parked illegally in one of the handicapped spaces. So theres some hope....

eleMental wrote:
    The guards are frequently in Superquinn and last weekend I saw them giving a ticket to someone who had parked illegally in one of the handicapped spaces. So theres some hope....

Really? The Gardai have no authority to do so in a private parking space.

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/transport_and_disability/parking_facilities_for_people_with_disabilities.html?search=handicap+parking

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Bertie wrote:
    Eoin it is illegal to park five metres or roughly 16 feet either side of a junction roadmarkings or not I left a warning note on a van at the exit of the wood 2 on two occassions on my way to work a) that he was parked illegally b) that he was obstructing the view of traffic exiting the wood.
    I did it because I was almost sideswiped twice.His lordship continued to park there and a week later I had another near miss so I took out my book summoned him for both offences ,I then discovered a broken tail light and tyres on the front under the minimum thread depth also his number plates were too dirty to be read.If he pays up within 8 weeks it'll cost him €420 if he doesn't it cost him the guts of €2000 in the District court.Inoticede his tax was up for renewal as weel but gave him the benefit of a few days.

:D oh thats brilliant...Bertie you have put a huge smile on my face.:D Serves him right!! Would you go over the the Grove and get the guy with the big blue van too he is wrecking my head and I nearly crashed yesterday because of his parking!!! grrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

eoin_s wrote:

Yes we do and superquinn is a public parking facility declared such and insured as such.As is the whole of Charlesland as a public right of way although people sign up to covenants for their houses denying them certain privileges .In other words what youre saying is that if an accident occurs there The law of the land does not apply.It actually supercedes all local or property management deals Charlesland is not a state wiyhin the state.The car park is not superquinns nor is the area in front its listed as a Public Car Park under planning all public streets and public carparks including disabled parking come under the remit of the road traffic act Car Parks such as those owned privately such as Q park or those in Dundrum are different but the gardai can enter and ticket cars at the owners request as they under their planning are subject to bye laws also.Again this does not apply to the charlesland centre as it is in public ownership like the S.A.R. when they were handed over in two stages inDec 04 and again when the second stage of the S.A.R.opened earlier this year

Bertie wrote:
    Yes we do and superquinn is a public parking facility declared such and insured as such.As is the whole of Charlesland as a public right of way although people sign up to covenants for their houses denying them certain privileges .In other words what youre saying is that if an accident occurs there The law of the land does not apply.It actually supercedes all local or property management deals Charlesland is not a state wiyhin the state.The car park is not superquinns nor is the area in front its listed as a Public Car Park under planning all public streets and public carparks including disabled parking come under the remit of the road traffic act Car Parks such as those owned privately such as Q park or those in Dundrum are different but the gardai can enter and ticket cars at the owners request as they under their planning are subject to bye laws also.Again this does not apply to the charlesland centre as it is in public ownership like the S.A.R. when they were handed over in two stages inDec 04 and again when the second stage of the S.A.R.opened earlier this year

That's not what I was saying - where did I say anything about an accident? Don't put words in my mouth Bertie. I was just referring to the link I provided.

• Advertisement

Sorry Eoin
    just getting a little frustrated with Charlesland even though I live there and work brings me there sometimes. People when an incident arises seem to think the whole place is Private and the law or the agents of the law have no business there with regard to traffic, believe me some of the misconceptions are unbelievable two persons even contradicted the law on two separate ocassions and when asked where they got their info they said they got it here on Boards -it was wrong and the unfortunates got into bother over it.On another occasion ten gardai were sent up there two nights on succession over scaremongering over free newspaper deliveries and a large number of calls were logged almost engaging the phone lines for a whole the evening.Where did the rumour start -on Boards.
    I read the link on Parking and although informative is a little economical with some facts and does not apply to anything in charlesland posting up such information encourages people to do things they shouldn't do

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement