Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting Motorised

Options
  • 05-10-2006 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Okay never been behind the controls of a vehicle before and am now looking into eventually getting my own set of wheels. I'm based in the Limerick area.

(A) Car or Bike / Moped?
    I've already asked my friends about this, and they say that while the latter would be more economic if at times more uncomfortable, you would have to "like" biking to do it long term. I'm only a recent graduate so i don't have money to burn so i'd like to keep things as economic as possible. Learning curve should be about the same for either car or bike?

(B) Qualifications
    Obviously need to learn how to drive the car / bike:) Any recommendations in the Limerick area for this? Plus any good suppliers in the area for the vehicle and parts? From what i heard insurance prices can vary quite a bit:confused:.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

Bike insurance is insane at the moment, im assuming you're under 25 that is. A moped would be best. They're cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheaper to insure and easiest to drive. But this is a bad time of the year to start driving a bike, with wet roads, wet leaves and ice about.

Look up the golden pages for driving lessons, if you're buying a moped just practice aroud your estate, you'd be flying in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There is absolutely nothing to "like" about biking / mopeteering in Winter.
    It's crap !
    Freezing, wet and dangerous. Plus you need to drive around like an onion in several layers of clothing and wet gear, which has its own logistical problems (where do you leave all the soggy gear when you go to work / college for example ...you certainly don't want to wear it all day)

It can be done (if finances don't stretch any further or if you fancy yourself as a bit of a hardcore macho type), but "fun" it aint.

If you can stretch to a car, get a car.

On the other hand, if you have transport alternatives for really bad weather, a moped can get you that extra bit of indepence cheaply.

Advertisement